World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the next trip is all planned and sorted and this time I thought with all the tackle I had acquired over the years I wouldn't need to buy any but as you can see from the image below I was wrong, this is just some of the first deliveries I have received lately.

AJ8P8968.jpg

As we are fishing the beaches and in the lagoon most of my larger poppers and stickbaits are a bit on the big size and they recommend on the majority of the lures apart from the lures for tarpon that we use singles rather than trebles. The single hooks in the image are BKK Diablo inline hooks from Dan at Adventure Angler and certainly look the business, they will hopefully get a good testing from giant threadfins and some big cubera snappers.

I am going to have a first attempt at the art of saltwater fly fishing which should be interesting but this will only be in the lagoon for long fin jacks and smaller snappers the big tarpon off the beach on the fly are way beyond me at this stage.

Eric at Orion lures is putting together an order of lures for the trip as he has fished there several times and knows the successful lures and colours, and my mate is off to America next week and we have ordered a load of lures and bucktail jigs to be delivered to a tackle shop in New York for collection while he is over there.

Its great having all these parcels arrive of nice shiny things but my wife is starting to give me grief with what more tackle how much do you need, I have also ordered a lighter lure rod as well for the lagoon plus a Shimano Saragosa 5000sw.

I will add a few more images as the parcels arrive.

If anyone is looking for a good read during the Christmas break you need look no further than Destination Angler by Dave Lewis. The book will inspire you to travel for your sport. It's 26 chapters cover a different destination in each including Panama, Costa Rica, Madagascar, Sierra Leone, Andaman's, Argentina,Uganda, Maldives and Mozambique to name but a few. I thought I had travelled to a few places in my time but after reading this book I realised I need to be planning a lot more. The book is a mine of information for the popping and jigging travelling angler giving details of websites and contacts for these far flung places. Dave's other passion is photography and this really shows with some wonderful images within the 268 pages not just of fish nut of wildlife and scenery.

Roll on next March.

Ian

www.iangouldphotography.com

·
Registered
999 Posts
Looks a great trip Ian, some of the cubera and threadfin out there look huge, did you see Cyril chauquet's episode on there, if not it should still be available somewhere.

Agreed on the shiny parcel issue, thankfully I work from home so can intercept most of mine before she sees them

Have you looked at hybrida lures, similar size to those shad raps but a lot tougher and definitely Cubera candy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jason

I have Cyril Chauquet's episode recorded and really fancied lure fishing trip from a beach for a change to bouncing around on a boat and travelling miles to the fishing grounds. It will also be good to have elephants wandering around the camp and lagoon plus the chance of seeing gorilla's as it really is supposed to be a great place for viewing wildlife.

You are lucky to get to the parcels first, I used to have them delivered to the office but since I decided to take early retirement I lost that opportunity so I now have a lot of explaining to do and a few peace offerings!

Those hybrida lures could well be worth looking at because as you say the shad raps being balsa and those cuberas teeth they won't last long mind you we are taking about 20 of them, is there a uk supplier for hybrida.

Ian

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi Ian,

I've just spent the last 3 months doing exactly the same, I don't get any grief from anyone but I shudder to think how much I've spent!
Only thing left to buy are the Diablo's from Dan when he gets more stock.
When in March are you there? we're booked 14 - 23rd March.

Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chris,

Dan probably ran out after my order of Diablo's sorry.
We are out their the week before you, we go out on the 7th and are having an extra night in Libreville rather than risk missing that connecting flight to Port Gentil a couple hours after landing.
Here are couple of links from trips earlier this year to Sette Cama which you have probably already seen but just in case.

Ian

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hi Jason

I have Cyril Chauquet's episode recorded and really fancied lure fishing trip from a beach for a change to bouncing around on a boat and travelling miles to the fishing grounds. It will also be good to have elephants wandering around the camp and lagoon plus the chance of seeing gorilla's as it really is supposed to be a great place for viewing wildlife.

You are lucky to get to the parcels first, I used to have them delivered to the office but since I decided to take early retirement I lost that opportunity so I now have a lot of explaining to do and a few peace offerings!

Those hybrida lures could well be worth looking at because as you say the shad raps being balsa and those cuberas teeth they won't last long mind you we are taking about 20 of them, is there a uk supplier for hybrida.

Ian
Hi Ian,

Sounds like a really interesting trip, lures off the beach sounds pretty rewarding as well. Wildlife will be an added bonus.

The odd parcel still gets into her hands but as she has just paid over £2k for a saddle and a lot more for a Horsebox I'm in credit at the moment.

The hybridas are pretty tough although one of our guys has just lost a huge cubera out of pedasi when a split ring went so I'd swop them out.

UK stockist is bitezone in Scotland, j1 tropics are the ones you want, I'm pretty sure they've just had a big order in from the Black Forest as well :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the information on the Hybridas, I know what you mean regarding the split rings I always change all the split rings to owners and swap all hooks as tropical fish just fight so mean.

I have been looking at fishing Gabon for many years its just getting around to fishing all these places, we are going with Tourettes a South African company who have been running trips there for a number of years. We are having to take a lot of spare line as the big tarpon have a tendency of spooling you before you can stop them, thats the trouble shore fishing if you connect to a big one you can't chase them down.

Ian

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the information on the Hybridas, I know what you mean regarding the split rings I always change all the split rings to owners and swap all hooks as tropical fish just fight so mean.

I have been looking at fishing Gabon for many years its just getting around to fishing all these places, we are going with Tourettes a South African company who have been running trips there for a number of years. We are having to take a lot of spare line as the big tarpon have a tendency of spooling you before you can stop them, thats the trouble shore fishing if you connect to a big one you can't chase them down.

Ian
No problem, the hybridas used to be ready to go out of the box but the new batch have changed the hardware and seemingly not for the better :(

If you can't get them from bitezone let me know and I'll put you in touch with the builder in Germany.

Hopefully a few busy nights respooling lie ahead!!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the youtube vids, I'd seen the 1st one but not the 2nd.

I've a French mate who lives in Ivory Coast, he's a good and mad keen angler and has been to Sette Carma.
His must have lures are Tackle House K-Ten's in 140 and 175.
I know these are not on the recommended lure list, and when buying lures you really really have to draw the line somewhere but he was so adamant that these K-Tens were the biz I bought a few.
The only other lures that I'm taking over and above the recommended is a few Ice Creams and I can't go anywhere without a few toby's.

I must not buy any more lures!

As you said, roll on March.......................................

Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Chris,

What are you doing suggesting more must have lures as I will now have to check them out and possibly start ordering a few more!!!!!!

I ordered the Tackle House Britt 145mm 98g lures which I must admit look a pretty bullet proof lure and will cast like a rocket but those K-Tens would be useful in the lagoon.

The trouble is with every different venue you go to you always take way to much tackle with half of it you don't use and other stuff you wish you had taken extra off. Tourettes are very good with suggested tackle lists and the information regarding the trip a very professional outfit so far.

It will be interesting standing in the surf in total darkness lure fishing something I have never done before and I am just hoping to connect with one of those Giant Threadfin which my dream fish of the trip.

16 weeks to go.

Ian

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi Ian,

Yes, my impression of Tourettes so far is of a very professional outfit, their documentation certainly does take the uncertainty away and gives you confidence that you'll arrive with the correct tackle.

2 things left, I need to brush up a bit on my appalling schoolboy French and hope that the £ goes up against the Euro before we have to pay the holiday balance.

Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Chris,

They certainly seem a well run organisation and any question asked Rob is straight back with a detailed answer.

Well I can order beer in French and I know what most of the fish species I want to target are called what more will I need to know!!! It's ridiculous for me as my brother in law is French and I have been travelling over there for the last 36 years and still am not fluent.

The Euro rate is crap its added an extra £500 to the trip, Rob said when we booked the trip only pay 20% deposit as the trip was so far away I wish I had paid the 50% now bloody brexit.

Another parcel arrived today from Terry at Jigabite.
4S7A3860.jpg

Needed a smaller pair of split ring pliers for the size 5,6 and 7 split rings.

Ian

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Pierre,

Thanks.

They are certainly impressive looking fish and incredibly hard fighting by all accounts, it's a shame you are not coming with us we could do with a good translator.

All the best for the new season over at Pedasi and I will be back to see you as I want some more fish like this my best on a popper from last time.
image045.jpg

Cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, keep me up to date for further trips as I may very well join you on some destinations. I am officially allowed one trip a year by Clemence...

The new season started with a bang ! Sorry to pollute your post but can't resist to post it here:

Gabon is a place where you may get one like that from shore, so I'll end by wishing you just that.

Cheers !

Pierre

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More deliveries but I think I am getting close now

A parcel off Eric of some must have Orion's for the Giant Threadfin
4S7A4008.jpg

A parcel arrived from Chris at Slevad over in good old USA all at a good price until I had to pay customs duty!!! All of them 2 ozs

4S7A4014.jpg

I then decided my Plano rod tube which got a bit damaged on the last trip could do with replacement so went for a Sportube from Rokmax. I am very impressed with it and its a colour I will be able to see at a distance so I can recognise its mine. It has built in wheels, hand strap and built in internal padding at both ends, a much better construction than my old Plano.

Well 4 weeks tomorrow we will be on the plane just need the euro rate to improve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts