World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Glasgow Angling Centre does rod repairs?

Havent been out fishing in over a year & i am hoping to take the kids out fishing next weekend, but just looked out the gear & noticed the 1st rod ring is damaged.

Just the plastic/ceramic eye part thats missing & wondered if GAC could fix that.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Short term would just snip it off as close to the rod as possible and tape over any sharp edges with electricians tape till you can get a new eye whipped on.

Unless its the first ring or eye ring you should be fine :)

John

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I asked as the tip guide is quite an easy fix but others are a wee bit more difficult the treads need cutting away to take the old eye out then replace the whipping varnish etc, "sometimes" the eyelet/ceramic ring will pop back in if you still have it but don't expect it to stay in to long,before I learned how to do it myself the local tackle shop (danny's den) done 3 guides for me £15 but as you probably know he's away now :(

·
Registered
810 Posts

Havent been out fishing in over a year & i am hoping to take the kids out fishing next weekend, but just looked out the gear & noticed the 1st rod ring is damaged.

Just the plastic/ceramic eye part thats missing & wondered if GAC could fix that.
It would be quicker phoning them than posting here.

·
Registered
351 Posts
First things first the sharp edges inside an eye without a ceramic (or plastic) liner will cut your line under any kind of load especially a decent fish.

I think you should go to your nearest angling shop with the damaged rod and ask if they can make the repair ( if not ask if they sell an equivalent replacement eye). If they cannot repair the rod at a reasonable price and timescale go to your next nearest shop and repeat the process. If you are still not sorted and the distances are not to great try a third shop. If at the end of this you are sorted you will have established a feel for, and hopefully a good relationship with your local dealers.

If all of these fail, purchase an equivalent eye (or larger) cut off the damaged eye (leaving the existing whipping in place to allow a permanent repair at a later date) and attach the temporary replacement eye with electricians tape.

Best of luck!

P.S. some of my temporary eyes are 3 years old,

P.P.S. Let us Know how you got on

·
Registered
91 Posts
For what it's worth I was in the GAC a few weeks ago and overheard a conversation between a member of staff and a customer asking about replacement rod rings the gist was that they 'only sold packs of complete rod ring sets and not individual rings and that you would need to replace them yourself'. Like the other posters have suggested you would probably have more success with a local tackle dealer.

The day I was there I bought a Shakespeare Ugly Stik Sapphire spinning rod, when I got it home I discovered that Ugly Stik rods don't have a hook keeper so I searched on YouTube and found a really helpful instructional video on how to make your own using a customised paperclip - I'd never attempted anything like this before, gave it a go with 100% success to the extent that I reckon I could try replacing a rod ring if required - you can buy them individually online from most independent tackle dealers or e-bay fairly cheap + postage.

·
Registered
438 Posts
ring replacement is straight forward have a view at the rod building section done by stan its ideal for getting to understand how rings are whipped to the rod and how spacings etc are decided.

·
Registered
915 Posts

Hi m8, don't think GAC do repairs, there's a tackle/gun shop up in shawlands that does ring replacement, am sure it's a £10 ring supply'd, can't remember the name but guys on here will no the name.cheers

·
Registered
448 Posts
Pretty sure a forum is there to dicuss the topic not slag peoples spelling or what they have or havent done, too much of that crap going on on here these days
Like a few have noted mate most shops will repair it for a fiver just pop into the local shop with your butt and im sure they will be be able to do it or know someone who can, personally i would do a bit of research see who was best quality as my rods are like my children! Sacred! Haha
Cheers
Alex

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Pretty sure a forum is there to dicuss the topic not slag peoples spelling or what they have or havent done, too much of that crap going on on here these days
Like a few have noted mate most shops will repair it for a fiver just pop into the local shop with your butt and im sure they will be be able to do it or know someone who can, personally i would do a bit of research see who was best quality as my rods are like my children! Sacred! Haha
Cheers
Alex
Good point mate,
to OP if it's a "sacred" ;) rod get the best to do it for you, I have only ever fixed my own rods.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the 'sensible' replies folks.

I notice the 1 not so sensible reply has now been deleted :boxing:

I havent had a chance to take the rod to get fixed unfortunately, so looks like i'll just stick the the 1 rod this weekend.

Its not a 'sacred' rod either, just a bog standard Greys rod.

Hoping to get up to Etive at the weekend for 1st trip in over a year, so fingers crossed, as the kids caught a couple of cracking spurs the last time we were up there.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Popped into GAC today to get some bait & was asking about ring replacement.
Didn't take the rod with me as been told that they don't do repairs, buy I was talking to a member of staff & he told me to bring it in & they would get it sorted as Greys have a lifetime garauntee!

I didn't even buy it from GAC & it's years old, but he said that didn't matter.

Result !

·
Registered
915 Posts
Didn't take the rod with me as been told that they don't do repairs, buy I was talking to a member of staff & he told me to bring it in & they would get it sorted as Greys have a lifetime garauntee!

Result !
Nice m8, doesn't harm to ask, sorry for spelling mistake but if u read it u will have noticed that a said about the shop in shawlands. You'd better watch as u've got a wee spelling mistake in this post, just incase that **** jumps on that as well.good luck wi the new section. Cheers

·
Registered
91 Posts

Result !
Well done! Just goes to prove that if you dont ask, etc...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts