World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I think that this is a boat owned by some guys from Southampton which they keep out there for fairly regular trips out there. If I am right, the guy on the left side of the Cuda is Germit L..... a well known angler in Southampton Sea Angling club

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have been going to Gambia at least once a year for the last 10 years or so and have all fallen in love with the place. As someone pointed out above, there are now two of our boats there and yes it is Gurmit!

The fishing in terms of volume has declined (sadly) over the years we have been going, however as the few photo's I have managed to add (this is just a very small sample of the quality fish we have had) prove there are still some great fish out there. The large barracuda and large Captain fish (Threadfin Salmon) were both caught two years ago. the large Guitar fish was from last year.

We always have a few Guitars off the beach each year and this is one of the smaller ones. Close to 40lb is the largest we have caught there, but they do go much bigger and maybe why we still get occasionally snapped up on our beach gear (20lb mainline and pendulum rods) or it could be the very large sting rays, with the best landed at 45lb from the point at Radio Sid. Sanyang and Gunjur are also some of the best beaches for quality fish. One tip if beach fishing, if you are not catching then move. even a move of 400 yards can turn a quiet day into something exceptional.

One of my favourite beach sessions was a trip to A section, where we had 11 Captain fish on a flooding tide, where all except two in double figures with three going over 20lb (largest 26lb 6ozs!) That is some fishing in 3 hours!

There have also been some very large Lady fish and Cassava's caught in the boat over the last few years and these are big (30lb+fish) from a new mark we have found (fish finders and GPS really help out there, especially to get back to a good spot!) in the boats.

Pretty much every time we go, we always get some exceptional fish. However, one thing that still astounds me is the number of times we still get snapped up and for these big fish we do not fish light. 50lb+ braid, 80lb mono leaders and 100lb traces. yet some of the fish we have hooked snap this like cotton, it is like you have hooked a submarine, great fun while it lasts and I personally was spooled twice last year and that is after letting the anchor go on a bouy and trying to chase the fish... Would love to see what it was, however, I don't think it was sharks as they would have bitten through the mono.

Last year we had some great fun with the Tiger Fish up river, however, the heat is almost unbearable during the day, only allowing us to fish early morning or in the last few daylight hours of the day. This allows the day time for resting in the shade and to drink lots of water and soft drinks in preparation for the next session... Another trip up this year to satisfy my "Tiger Fever" is on on the plan. the wild life is pretty awesome too. it is not often you can be fishing whilst being eyed closely by hippo's and the monkeys in the trees. it all adds to the unforgettable experience!

As you may be able to tell, I am getting a little excited, as in just 16 days time we will just becoming into land at Banjul for 2 weeks of fishing, beer and sunshine with some great mates. If "Heaven" is not like this then I don't wanna go.

I promise to bore you with all the photo's and stories of the ones that got away when we get back. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all

Off to Gambia for 2 weeks on the 3 March 2016. Are any other members over there at this time?

I can't wait to try and catch some more fish like these!! :D:D View attachment 324154 View attachment 324154 View attachment 324162 View attachment 324162 View attachment 324162 View attachment 324154 View attachment 324154 View attachment 324162 View attachment 324178 View attachment 324154
Hi going to Gambia in Early Nov 2016
can you recommend a reliable charter for boat and shore? Ta Wazza

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
I used to be a regular in The Gambia having fished it twice a year for the last 12 years, so I'm pretty experienced with both the tactics and the best marks, but for the last couple of years due to the ever declining fishing I have swapped one of my weeks in Africa with the cold of the Arctic in Norway and there is no comparison as you will catch more fish in one day in Norway than you will in a week in the Gambia.

They used to hold the West Africa Beach Festival in Gambia and it was always well attended with some nice fish caught during the competition, but the decline in the fishing bought an end to the competition and even pleasure anglers have deserted the Gambia.

I still love the Gambia and have many friends there including some great guides, but the fishing there has really declined over the years to the point that catching anything from the beach is a bonus, I still think the best beaches are Gunjur, Sang Yang, the river at Kartong and Radio Syd which still throws up some very big fish.

I'm not sure why the fishing has declined so much, it could be the pressure the locals have put on their fisheries and I do know that a lot of the fishermen from South Senegal travel to the waters around Gunjur to fish and certainly while fishing we have seen them drop their nets almost within casting distance, but whatever the reason even the locals are finding it hard to catch anything and many have retired their pirogue as they can't afford to run them anymore.

I'm not sure the fishing will ever be as good as it was when I first fished in the Gambia, but it's still a fun holiday. :cool::cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
:( Not heard anything good about Gambia's fishing for the last 5 years which is a shame as the locals rely on tourism. ;)
Nice people cr?p fishing Went in Nov - 1 fish in 5 says! between 4 of us !A few tiddlers
2 days on a boat 3 from the shore with a guide
The place is great, with friendly people once you get away from the "guides" around the hotels
My mate is going Jan 2017 - never know the fish mite be in then - Will keep posting
Wazza

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm hoping the (catching) improves as going to The Gambia for the first time 27 March but only for a week. Got 2 trips booked with Mark Longster so hoping for a little more than a sun tan. Will let you know results on my return.

·
Registered
21,538 Posts
I'm hoping the (catching) improves as going to The Gambia for the first time 27 March but only for a week. Got 2 trips booked with Mark Longster so hoping for a little more than a sun tan. Will let you know results on my return.
:) I look forward to the report. :)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
That ' cuda is a whopper - cracking photo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts