World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been brought to my attenion that i caught and killed a game fish out of season.Im fully aware of these facts but the fish swallowed the hook too deep.I tried to get the hook out but it was bleeding heavily so it was going to die anyway.Id like to know peoples feelings on this issue i personally believe i did the right thing no point in wasting a good eating fish.I am heavily in favor of returning all fish alive when you can but there is no point returning fish that are going to die.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
In a perfect world Joe we would have no need of restrictions.

Its very hard to give a truthful answer, but i do believe you done the right thing.
I have stood and held a Bass for over a half an hour and it never made it, what do you do ? the Bass came in like a sack of spuds and i thought it was a doggie, bait was only out 15mins, so its not like it was hanging off a 5oz gripper for an hour. The fish was not right to start with
and when released just went belly up. No way am i going to be haunted all night by a dead Bass washing about the suds. When the fish was gutted;) it was full of stringy white mucus and was only fit for the dogs.

So common sense says you done the right thing, pity says you done the right thing, but the law.. well that"s different Joe.

Mark...

·
13,170 Posts
Unfortunately that is no defence in law. To my mind, there is another problem with returning a hooked fish. If something eats it, the hook could be transferred.

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
How do you know a fish is going to die from bleeding, on my last dive I saw a fish which had somehow lost its complete tail. It had fully healed and the fish could swim even though it was slow.

We often catch fish over here with healed injuries from sharks etc, we also return protected species which bleed from deep hooking.

Fisheries provide their research in a booklet showing survival rates of different species from different handling teckneques such as deep hooking, baratrauma etc.

If it's out of season then it should go back, if it's dead then it becomes part of the ocean food cycle. Circle hooks greatly improve survival rates and the fish give a much better fight than deep hooked fish.

JonD

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments jonD.The first thing I want to reply to is the fish with no tail.A sea trout with no tail has no chance of swimming up a river.A fish with no tail in the sea has even less a chance of survival due to the massive increase in grey seal numbers.I have been fishing in streams for brown trout for 30 years and take my nephews to the same streams ,i don't need a PHD to know if a fish is going to live or die,consider half its gills were hanging out.Last week I posted a comment about being frustrated about the amount of flat fish that I cant remove the hook from,this really annoys me and this very night I squeezed the barb shut on the rigs I made.

You also remarked about the circle of life.I think you are referring to the eco system of tidal waters (Not the Lion King).If i returned the trout with the 1/0 hook in its throat it would of definitely been prey to either a seal or otter.I put this issue out on the forum and all but 2 said i did the sensible thing.I respect everyone views and thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Having knowingly caught,killed and retained a sea trout out of season I was very surprised that you posted the event on an open Forum.
It's for your conscience to decide what you eventually do with the fish.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Joe was just being honest chaps:)
And i still maintain i would do the same myself,
but then again we all have our owns ideas and views.

Now somebodie tell me other than breaking the "LAW" no i"m not talking about you speeding to work everyday? what harm has been done. The man caught a fish and ate it, what?
Not like he was spraying toxic pesticides before a downpour and wiping out a whole river system.
Now that i am up here on my high horse:rolleyes: haha i don"t like it,
so i am going to get off again.

This aint no perfect world, little kiddies are being mistreated in droves throughout the world everyday, perhaps a more noble cause would be worth the effort / but a single fish ? naw.

Mark...;)

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have been a fisherman of sea and game for many a year ( not as old as Fedstar :eek:) and if I was to hook a fish deep and it was bleeding and out of the water too long I bop it on the head. I would rather have a forum with 4 honest guy's like Joe no fish than those who don't practice what they preach.
Nice fish Joe:cool:

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
With both freshwater and saltwater species having protection times of the year here too I could quite easely head out for some catch and release and turn around and say my bluefin was bleeding so I kept it, and so could everyone else. Same goes for trout and freshwater bass.

When I worked on trawlers in the UK we had fish we had species caught in the net which were off limits but dead, would it be ok for skippers to say the Same thing " we kept them because they were dead or not going to survive"

The rules are the same for everyone, whether you think you are right doesn't matter, try asking fisheries.

With strictly enforced rules and regs over here on catch it will be interesting to see people's opinions in the next few years now your rules are starting to tighten more like ours (especially regarding bass catches with big fines).

JonD

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Hell of a difference between the huge tourist market and commercial capture of Bluefin and a single lowly Seatrout caught on rod and line, from a guy like myself who would maybe catch 10 in a year. seems like you are suffering from the heat Jon.

You have Jumped a gap from a single 1.5lb seatrout, to an industry dedicated to the capture of Bluefin and used it to make a comparison, i cant see it myself ?

Hmm whether i think i am right or not that is not for you to judge.

Fedstar...:p

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Hell of a difference between the huge tourist market and commercial capture of Bluefin and a single lowly Seatrout caught on rod and line, from a guy like myself who would maybe catch 10 in a year. seems like you are suffering from the heat Jon.

You have Jumped a gap from a single 1.5lb seatrout, to an industry dedicated to the capture of Bluefin and used it to make a comparison, i cant see it myself ?

Hmm whether i think i am right or not that is not for you to judge.

Fedstar...:p
If you are caught with any species however large or small here and its your second time of being caught you stand to lose all your fishing gear as well as fines. If you are in a boat you lose that too as well as the tow vehicle and trailer.

This boat was recently crushed for taking to many crabs. As for me, I take my kids out on the water and they are taught the legalities of fishing, marine parks, habitat protection zones, sanctuary zone, fish size, bag limits and fishing licence requirements etc and they stick to them. Here you can lose your boat and local reputation etc for even keeping a mullet both over size and undersize, many fish not only have minimum size limits but many have upper size limits too.

JonD

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I last seen the fisheries boat 7 years ago, a Navy minesweeper given the task of fisheries protection, Jon you used to live here yourself an know what a joke it is.

If it was fair for all then i would have no quams in obeying the law, but when i count the fish i have caught and kept then look at how many tonnes of fish a boat takes it is not for me to fix the woes of others. Dig out the blackfish scam of the Orkneys or Shetlands,, no bank robbers have ever gotten close to this number 47.5 millions in illegal caught fish. Wow a 400 pound Zziplex don"t seem as much of a stretch haha

I hope i have not come across the wrong way, as i have been putting fish back these last 40 years. In fact i may have put as many back as one trawl might take:D so its not like i am a blood thirsty creep.

Keep up the good work Jon, keep educating the kids and hope for the best:)according to Davy Attenbourgh 50% of the great barrier reef has disappeared over the last thirty years, we are all doomed.

Mark...

·
Registered
442 Posts
i catch alot of trout all year round when fishing the foyle for flatties most are fine to swim away though easily 10 a season dont make it due to a 3/0 aberdeen not agreeing with them . i dont even eat fish at all so there no use to me though the law states on my foyle endorsement that all fish must be returned so they expect you to drop a dead or dieing fish back into the system regardless

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Hiya Griff , where ya been:)

Fed...:)

·
Registered
442 Posts
aha yeah ive been away for a while i know lol been fishing a brave bit put a few posts up there on swilly summer thread and will post a pike report later. im mainly pike from november till march though still get a bit of sea fishing done

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.