World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here on the site.

I spent the week at Wemyss Bay last week (end march) and spent several days fishing off a pier with mackerel tips and worm, didn't have a bite at all...until last day when I nipped away for a cup of tea only for one rod to be gone on return. lets assume it was the 10lb cod that I was waiting for!

Conversely, the gannets were having a great time all week, with clearly plenty fish to go around, they dived all week for shoals further off-shore. it seems way too early for the mackerel, so does anyone know what they may have been eating? or is it early mackerel??

Thanks
Gordon

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The lost rod would most likely have been a bird hitting your line, I reckon...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
There's little to be caught in Wemyss or most of the Clyde until about the end of May. The gannets could have been after sandeel I guess?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did you notice how long the gannets were diving for? They'll feed on pretty much anything with fins that they can swallow but if they're diving deep after hitting the water they're probably after a shoal of cod, pollack or other demersal fish but it could literally be anything, herring, sprats, sand-eel etc. Unlucky on the rod man

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's little to be caught in Wemyss or most of the Clyde until about the end of May. The gannets could have been after sandeel I guess?
thanks for that. at least I got good practice digging the worms up. Would be surprised if the sandeel caused that much havoc for just a wee mouthful !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you notice how long the gannets were diving for? They'll feed on pretty much anything with fins that they can swallow but if they're diving deep after hitting the water they're probably after a shoal of cod, pollack or other demersal fish but it could literally be anything, herring, sprats, sand-eel etc. Unlucky on the rod man
thanks. my fault on the rod, the tripod was not fit for purpose and I just assumed nothing would happen same as the previous hours. Id say they were diving normal depth, (not deeper than normal) as they would during summer for the mackerel. I didn't notice anything abnormal. My thought was herring, but I have no clue, hence I was looking for someone more educated than I !

·
Registered
294 Posts
Depends on the depth of water too, I've seen them come inshore and dive for flatties at ganavan in no more than 15ft of water where they come in at a tight angle so not too hit the bottom after breaching, but yeah unless you can see what they're hunting it's almost impossible to tell what they're feeding on but would think that for such a big bird sand-eels probably wouldn't make their top 10 of fishy meals so I'd imagine it's a shoal of herring or demersal fish like cod, it might be mackerel but it is early for big shoals to be moving about but then again I've seen and heard about mackerel being caught on bottom baits in January from places like loch leven and etive.

G

·
i would agree with the suggestion of herring ,quite possibly something bigger underneath feeding on them as well keeping them in gannet diving range.
cheers rab

1 - 8 of 8 Posts