World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright folks, just wondering if the wreck at the Gantock rocks on the clyde still produces anything, i kinow it used to be haven for large cod years ago, any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
hi birdseye, could,nt tell you how its fishin, as i,ve not fished it in a while ............round about 25years:giveup: :giveup:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Last time i fished it was about '92 all we got then was sm Coalies, Pouting, Mackerel and Sea Scorpions. Don't think many people have fished it for years, It would be interesting to find out though.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Hi there Birdseye.

The only thing you are likely to catch on the Akka (the wreck's name) is a diver. Good fun on light tackle though.
I am moving my boat from Holy Loch over to Italy, where I work for most of the year. I bought my boat last April and could not wait to get over to a mark I used to fish at the Cloch lighthouse. A friend and I used to catch cod to 8lbs, haddock to 2-3lbs and big spurs (biggest 121/2lbs), but I did not even get a bite. I have tried the wreck several times with pirks, shads, jelly worms , baited feathers, razors,worms, mackerel, and only got a codling of around 1lb.
I remember the heady days of "The Trio" of Edinburgh postmen who broke the British cod record there.(I almost drowned trying to get there myself and got washed up on Dunoon's West Bay in January (1970s).
Before Christmas there were loads of finger whiting on the "Dunoon Bank" (named after the buoy on top of it). Since then, nothing.
I recently caught a lot of herring around the mouth of Loch Long and along the shore just off Hunter's Quay. They were very thin so obviously out of season. No taste either.
I apologise for the negative first post, but I could not let yours go unanswered.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Looks as if you've saved me from a wasted trip Lavraki. Have you tried the Akka at different times of the year?

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I've been over the wreck about 10 times during the whole of the past year in just about every "season", with little to show. I normally move over to the Gantocks lighthouse (lots of small coalfish in summer), up Loch Long as far as Ardentinny (not much at all), or troll along the shoreline off Kirn and Hunter's Quay, where I've had the odd pollack.
I had mackerel and herring recently around the mouth of Loch Long, both species very thin.
I was hoping that the power station at Inverkip would have helped to save the area with a hot water outlet, but it didn't happen.
There are trawlers working the area almost on a daily basis, fishing for prawns. I suppose the bye catch might be sandeels, so even if a cod did stray into the area it would have little to eat.
Uh-oh this is turning into a rant............

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Isn't Inverkip Power Station mothballed? If so, there would be no hot water outlet surely?

·
Registered
826 Posts
I see the prawn boats alongside inverkip power station jetty dropping their nets right down the side of the pier before trawling out so you can bet it will be a waste of time there,it used to throw up some big congers regularly.jimbo

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
It's not only mothballed, it has been completely stripped of the working parts without generating a volt (I am told). The chimney has now become a tourist attraction, according to some tourist brochures, so no future prospects there then....

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I had thought of moving to Dunoon. Been there a few times this last couple of years - looking at houses , doing a spot of shore fishing. Caught nothing over 6 ozs.
Last year had my boat on a pontoon in the Holy Loch marina. A whole week catching mackeral. Nothing else!
Between trawlers and the Royal Navy playing silly b**gers with sonar etc I am not really suprised at the lack of fish.:thumbdown

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for the info guys, on the way back from work in Kilcreggan today on the ferry, we passed a trawler that was just off the ashton carpark, is this legal? ban the lot of them, i dont care if its their livelyhood. I also looked out some of my old sea angler mags, there is one from 1987 that does a big article on the dwindling cod stocks in the clyde, it shows u the 46Ilb cod that was caught at the gantocks, which is still the Scottish boat caught record, a very interesting read. Cheers

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
a trawler at ashton car park what where they trawling scorpion fish and rockling cos thats all you get there nowadays its practicaly barren

1 - 15 of 15 Posts