World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...
Does anyone know if it's possible to convert my fairly lately-acquired, but not yet used, elderly right-hand wind 602AP to left-hand wind? And, by any chance, does anyone have, or know where I might find, a pdf of the instruction booklet, before I have to try a certain auction site! Many thanks for any help...

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Hi everyone...
Does anyone know if it's possible to convert my fairly lately-acquired, but not yet used, elderly right-hand wind 602AP to left-hand wind? And, by any chance, does anyone have, or know where I might find, a pdf of the instruction booklet, before I have to try a certain auction site! Many thanks for any help...
;) I don't think it's possible to convert to LHW, I had one about 58 years ago and probably still got it somewhere. They are simple to work on so you shouldn't need a PDF but if you do you could try Google. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks v much Norm...at least I'm a little ambidextrous, so will have to learn to cope with it. I think it needs a be of internal tlc, so I'll just have to get some screwdrivers out and make sure nothing pings out! I'd like to fish with it...

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Thanks v much Norm...at least I'm a little ambidextrous, so will have to learn to cope with it. I think it needs a be of internal tlc, so I'll just have to get some screwdrivers out and make sure nothing pings out! I'd like to fish with it...
:) Very simple to work on but one thing I would do If you're likely to hook a decent fish is fit a set of carbon drag washers, the fitted one were rubbish on all those reels, including 624, got spooled so many times I now use it for winding line on and off of other reels. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again...will look into carbon washers/discs...I guess these are fairly readily available off the open market...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Chris, just be aware that they were prone to bursting spools, so "pump and wind" when retrieving anything heavy if using mono

Den

·
Registered
380 Posts
Chris, just be aware that they were prone to bursting spools, so "pump and wind" when retrieving anything heavy if using mono

Den
I'll second that...3 or 4 years ago some old reels from my youth (late 70s/early 80s) turned up in my old man's garage, among them my old 602ap (first multiplier!). Must have been 30+ yrs since they were last used but a good servicing and all were ready to go...however when spooling up the 602 on my spooling station I was about 3/4 full when "BANG" - one side of the spool had split. I don't know if it was just fatigue/old age or if the spooling station was applying a bit more pressure than the spool could take but I'd definitely be extra careful if I get another spool!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Back in the early days :) all we had for beachcasting were Penn reels, these had either brass or bakelite spools. the bakelite ones OK for short range light leads but when applied to British beach fishing then very soon we had the problem of spools bursting. This was due to the mono stretching and each coil on the spool was trying to escape somewhere, usually sideways.

The 602 was marginally stronger but I saw a few burst at Dungie where guys were casting 100yds or more

I solved my Penn problem by making my own alloy spools, but had to make a different reel cage to accommodate them.
I kept the Penn "works" but actually had probably made the first ever 1 piece cage multi !

Never suffered any more burst spools after that

Den

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
I'll second that...3 or 4 years ago some old reels from my youth (late 70s/early 80s) turned up in my old man's garage, among them my old 602ap (first multiplier!). Must have been 30+ yrs since they were last used but a good servicing and all were ready to go...however when spooling up the 602 on my spooling station I was about 3/4 full when "BANG" - one side of the spool had split. I don't know if it was just fatigue/old age or if the spooling station was applying a bit more pressure than the spool could take but I'd definitely be extra careful if I get another spool!
:) Same as with the Penn 85's etc but there is an optional metal spool for both the PENN and the Mitchell. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the information everyone - very much appreciated! I bought a set of replacement carbon drag washers (thanks Blakdog Tackle - great service!) and spent a happy couple of hours on a wet afternoon stripping, cleaning and rebuilding the reel. The info on mono and plastic spools is very handy. If it is possible to get a metal spool, does anyone know where from? (And is it a good idea to change to braid for the main line?) I thought metal spools for the 602AP weren't available. If I had a lathe, I could make my own... I do like to use kit that's still serviceable if I can. Thanks again...

Attachments

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Thanks for all the information everyone - very much appreciated! I bought a set of replacement carbon drag washers (thanks Blakdog Tackle - great service!) and spent a happy couple of hours on a wet afternoon stripping, cleaning and rebuilding the reel. The info on mono and plastic spools is very handy. If it is possible to get a metal spool, does anyone know where from? (And is it a good idea to change to braid for the main line?) I thought metal spools for the 602AP weren't available. If I had a lathe, I could make my own... I do like to use kit that's still serviceable if I can. Thanks again...
:) The metal spools were made for the boat version, the 602 but someone on here may have one, no good for casting though. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, OK...thanks, Norm. I am intending the reel for shore use, though not for casting miles, even if I could...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
You will have "fun" casting with a brass spool. I did my first 100 yard cast off the lifeboat jetty at Selsey using a brass spool on my Penn 100. Lead hit the water and I burnt my thumb trying to stop the spool ! It was thumb all the way and make sure the line was wet by spitting on it.
Us old boys did know how to control a reel, but couldn't always manage it :)

Was it really 65 years ago??

Den

Reactions: fedstar
1 - 20 of 27 Posts