World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
I learnt to cast with a 602 in the cow field next door in the early 70’s. Lots of burnt thumbs and birds nests...but I can cast anything ever since! I still have the reel btw...Like norm says very easy to work on and maintain.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Thanks for all the information everyone - very much appreciated! I bought a set of replacement carbon drag washers (thanks Blakdog Tackle - great service!) and spent a happy couple of hours on a wet afternoon stripping, cleaning and rebuilding the reel. The info on mono and plastic spools is very handy. If it is possible to get a metal spool, does anyone know where from? (And is it a good idea to change to braid for the main line?) I thought metal spools for the 602AP weren't available. If I had a lathe, I could make my own... I do like to use kit that's still serviceable if I can. Thanks again...
The chrome brass spools turn up on ebay occasionally, but I can’t recommend them even for boat fishing, as I had one warp and seize up on the retrieve with an average ray on, in a moderate tide run.
Also useless for lighter lines (i.e. less than 30lb) as the frame/spool tolerance is poor.
So this one stays in the reject cupboard...
1D0CF5C0-4BE8-4BA6-B3AA-624946323120.jpeg

·
Registered
19,598 Posts
The chrome brass spools turn up on ebay occasionally, but I can’t recommend them even for boat fishing, as I had one warp and seize up on the retrieve with an average ray on, in a moderate tide run.
Also useless for lighter lines (i.e. less than 30lb) as the frame/spool tolerance is poor.
View attachment 1290799
:) They were good for the money in their day, tech moves on and prices move up with it. ;)

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
View attachment 1290799
A lot of the anglers i fished with would regularly loose 30-40lb mono down the sides of their spools which is why i steered clear of Mitchell multis !
The Basic Penns i used though still on the agricultural side had better spool / sideplate tolerances and ate far less mono.
IMO a good conditioned 602 is best kept on a display shelf as a reminder how much reels have improved.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts