World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Righto heres the deal ive caught garfish before by accident whilst pollack and mullet fishing, but never specifically targeted them.
next week i will be down in portland and then chesil, and the week after brighton marina! has anyone got any dead cert methods of hooking these beggars, preferably ultra light tackle!!:secret:
any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
cheers Rob

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
float fished macky strip (the shiney belley) on a size 6-4 (circle hooks help prevent deep hooking) try a small pike float or large waggler, put a couple of silver sequins above the hook or a fluro floating bead, for maximum sport go for a light carp rod or waggler rod, little fs reel loaded with 6lb line!

have fun!
p,s quick run down of the sliding float rig for thos that dont know

stop not, bead, float, drilled bullet lead,shock bead (tho any bead will do at a push) swivel, 2ft snood,hook.
with this you can easily change depth by simply adjusting the stop knot!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I had one yesterday morning using a dexter, thought it was a macckie, but fantastic fight.

Its not the only time I've done this, I had a few this way last year too.

In the past, I've used the method as first reply suggests.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If we are referring to the same type of garfish, then a small spinner with a fillet on the back normally works for me.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
yup planning to give the little tobbys a go this year!
but beleieve he wonts to pasificly target gars from brighton marina!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

Righto heres the deal ive caught garfish before by accident whilst pollack and mullet fishing, but never specifically targeted them.
next week i will be down in portland and then chesil, and the week after brighton marina! has anyone got any dead cert methods of hooking these beggars, preferably ultra light tackle!!:secret:
any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
cheers Rob
From the Marina float fishing is definitely the best and I usually find them at shallow depth. The method described above is good but I also use the self weighted floats with one split shot between float and hook on a shallow setting (1-3ft) and as the mackie strip on a small hook sinks slowly, you can get some amazing takes with the gars coming clean out of the water!

good luck.

Andy S
:notworthy Member of SAS:notworthy

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you are bottom fishing at the chesil, clip a slider down the mainline with a float setup attached - then you can fish bottom and top!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
ive tried that, bit tangley if you get one on!
in a strong tide, i'll often cast out just a griplead, then slide the float rig down the line, you need a fairly steep beach, but it works,

often the float will be pulled under as the tide pulls it down the line, i use only a 3-4ft drop, so this isn't a bad thing as it will plumb different depths on its own !

normally use whole or half sandel on a size 1, 2, or 4 b940, or 2 circle.

·
Registered
258 Posts
make sure u use a long hook length. i see the grockels using hook lenghts about 6 inches long and they catch nothing. go for at least 18 inches with a couple of split shot depends on which type of float setup u go for

1 - 15 of 15 Posts