World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While lure fishing today I was supprised to hook into a Garfish using a Saltiga Minow, although it did throw the hook at the last minute as I tried to land it. I think the lure was to big but has anyone used lures for catching Garfish ?

Many thanks

·
Registered
848 Posts
Not deliberately - caught one a 105mm Mag Popper earlier this year though in almost total darkness! Most lures seem too big for them to get in their narrow beaks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had one down in Weymouth, as did MosseyDog. Had a couple recently here in Sussex as well. One of which was on a Saltiga Minnow. Funny watching them swatting at the lure, most never seem to get hooked but the odd one does. Love releasing them and watching them race away. Sometimes get them following the lure in. For me they are a good sign, as they only seem to appear when the water is really clear.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I caught one on an Asturie last week - wasnt hooked cleanly as he had no hope of fitting it in is mouth - aggressive little blighters!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
hi, i live in jersey the channel islands and have just spent the afternoon plugging for bass, we often catch garfish (called snipe over here) on lures, though most are often foul hooked but a considerably number manage to take at least one hook on a treble. most go back to fight another day, but keep some for the bbq as they taste great. :fish:

·
Registered
25 Posts
had about four today on plugs over her in jersey. often foul hooked but quite a few manage to get at least one hook on a treble in their beak. called snipe over here and taste great on bbq.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first plug caught fish was a garfish on a Feed Shallow, and they seem to love it despite the size! I often see one or more of them chasing the lure in, sometimes just knocking it with their beaks. Yesterday, one jumped clean out of the water when I lifted my rod tip to recast!

(edited: I said Maria Chase but it was actually a Feed Shallow)

·
Registered
988 Posts
I find they go for long thin lures like the german sprats or bridun lances, fished near the surface. Boy, do garfish stink though!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Most lures seem too big for them to get in their narrow beaks.
I was fishing for blue sharks at the weekend and landed a garfish that attacked two joey mackerel on a 10/0 hook. Seems mad what they'll try and fit in their beaks sometimes:wacko:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Had one this morning on a Maria Chase Holo Sil of course. Clean hook up, but how it actually managed it god only knows.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
They are normally like the plague over here in some places, constant 'tap tap tap' on the retrieve, so by this point of the season, I hate Garfish.But this year I really havent come across many at all. Put some wool on the treble of a spinner and their little teeth in their beak gets tangled and you will land loads of them. If you want to catch them that is. I remember spearfishing once and having one repeatedly tapping the back of my head with its beak. Weird little things they are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many thanks for all your replies. I was interested as sometimes I can not find any Bass and Garfish could provide some good sport and save a blank. Interested to try the wool idea.

Thanks again

·
Registered
597 Posts
Top tip - seen it in action. Would be interesting to make a hook-less fly!

Good tip, a bit of silver tinsel in with the wool for added attraction too.

I always used to get a few on the smaller Lucky Craft Staysee. Not sure if anyone has tried Snipe for livebait? I've seen them jumping clear of the water being chased by something and it wasn't Dolphins, so Bass maybe?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I had one of 2-4 earlier this year in the boat. It took a 200grm yann lure on the bottom of a string of feathers trying to catch launce for bait. Cleanly hooked in the bottom jaw.It was 93cm long (a bit longer than the diagonal on a 60l fishbox).
I reckon we get 3-4 a year like this, sometimes on the yann, but mostly on the feathers - normally foulhooked by 3 or 4 feathers by the time they get to the boat!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts