World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am upgrading my garmin 160c ,was thinking either garman 400c or lowrance HDS-5x dsi, is the sidescan any good or just a gimmick .should i go for that . or is it between the garman and lowrance. which is best .

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
i used to have a garmin 140 and for the money was well impressed with it, it done the job well, im not a colour snob at all as it makes no difference, i did change for the 5si and atm been very impressed with it as for detail, it does take a bit of getting use to especially with the gain in shallow water but once set up doies the job well, i opted for the black and white version but it is 150 squid more than the 140 so depends how big your wallet is, if its not a prob then defo go for the 5si if you are on a buget then prob best to stick the the 160

G

·
I also like the garmin units, but thats all i have ever used so dont know any different, mine aint broke so i dont intend to try and fix it, rather spend that money on an extra trip out.

Rob.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the response guys seems the garmin is in the lead so far ,i already have the garmin plotter 551 so the 400c would be a good match .did not go for the 551s as for the screen size ,split screen would be too small.
another thing duel beam or duel frequency ? water depth up to 100ft fished
thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
the people that own garmin will say garmin, the same with the lads that own lowrance.

i own lowrance gear and wouldnt swap it for garmin in a million years. i much prefer my plotter/fishfinder and radio and prefer it to the same class garmin stuff by along way. does it mean its better? no it doesnt but your be struggling to get an unbiased view as like i said people will say theres.

what i will say is ive owned both. and in my opinion the support you get from garmin is quality and wins hands down but i prefer the lowrance gear for quality and detail. also ive had to use navico who run lowrance in this country and they have been superb.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
i have had both in the past and liked both makes a lot.

my new boat is fitted with garmin 451 plotter , garmin 300c and an old garmin 230 as backup.

my vhf is standard horizon.

not used any of it yet as boat is a little way from being finished but so far very impressed with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.