World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Relatively new to boat fishing and have an 18' Dorry with 50HP 2 stroke Mercury on Portland for private use only. Looking at getting a new GPS/Fishfinder unit to replace the Eagle FF I bought with the boat and my Magellen handheld.

If any Garmin users could help.. please..

I will buy a Garmin but.. is it best to have the two units separate (i.e. FF and GPS as 2 units) or go for one of those split screen versions? If former, which ones are best? If latter, any advice on the 178c or 188c -- as I'm stuck between the two?

Many thanks.

PS: Will only be fishing this boat for a year before getting a diesel one so trying to buy something I would be able to move on. Cheers

Izzy

·
Registered
724 Posts
I bought a Garmin 188 a couple of years ago and can't fault it, very easy to work with and comes with great easy to understand manual. I take all my electrics off the boat after a days fishing so its one less bit of gear to dismantle.

The cheapest place on the web to buy it was www.gpsw.co.uk, I bought the Blue Chart Map from www.mesltd.co.uk.

The only complaint I can think of is that the default setup on the plotter screen is for the course to be set for north up, when the easiest way to steer is by course up.
If you want any more info I'd be glad to oblige.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that. This technology is new to me. I'll take up your offer for some more info :)

On the 188 can you resize the split screen so as to have a larger nav mode and a smaller sonar on top like the 238 or is split screen size fixed (nothing in the online manual on this)?

The description says 240 x 360 pixels screen. Are you happy with the resolution etc. during the day?

Many thanks
Izzy

·
Registered
724 Posts
No problem at all with the screen resolution, split screen in Nav/Sonar mode is top third of the screen sonar, bottom two thirds Navagation.
I've always been happy with that setup but I must look in the manual to see if there are other options.

On the sonar screen you can have many combinations of split screen, zoom, 200Hz/50Hz
Agood all round bit of kit

·
Registered
438 Posts
i have just had a lowrance 3300c coller plotter it is a bill plotter every one who has had alook has said the same when it came to fish finder a cheep colour or a top black and white i had the eagle 480 df and can not fault itlots of power i did find out about a combo and was told by a few fishermen they are sorry they had onethe screens are to small hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just be aware that if you buy a Garmin it is likely to set you back another £150 on top for the blue atlantic chart.

I found this out the hard way.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I was out today and looked at the menu for the combined Nav/Sonar page. A really simple adjustment and you can split the page into size to suit.

About maps, no matter which plotter you have you have to buy a map. Bluechart and Navonics are very similary priced.
I payed £165 for the Bue chart which cover every port, light etc plus a mine of other info. the area covered is from Londonderry across to Irvine, the whole of the Irish sea down to the south of Ireland across to the Channel as far Falmouth.

Good value for money I think especially if you compare that to the price of paper Admiralty charts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hi

I run a small non commercial web site about small fishing boats and the equipment used on them.

I am always looking for reports on boats and equipment to include on the site.

Have a look on the site and see what users say about their equipment or boat at least it gives you some ideas.

Site address - http://fishing_boats.tripod.com/

Sorry about pop ups but as I say it is non commercial and free.

Good luck

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts