World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got one ,proberly do nt need it ,not out far, but was feeling flush and i like me gadgets ,so went for it nice bit of kit,i could of got one in aldis on thursday 80 quid, but i went for the e trex hand held ,could come in usefull for logging me marks ,i will be getting a compass,and a handheld vhf radio also ,,,,,i am going all out for safety even in shallow places best to have it

·
Registered
477 Posts
How can you say you are going all out for safety having just informed us that you have bought a nice to have toy - GPS. But no compass and no VHF?

You can buy an adequate handheld compass for a fiver - not good but better than nowt, and I was looking at handheld VHF's on ebay last week for £15.

Two of the best bits of safety equipment ever.

What about flares?

Lifejackets?

Do yourself a favour and speak to either the local RNLI or MCA folks and get some good safety advice.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Another wreck will provide us with more good inshore fishing!

Text me your position before you go down!

You do have a mobile"thornbackflounder"?

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well your a nice f***ing chap bones,ive just said about safety, i don t go out with a f****ing mobile, i got life jackets if u read my thread,,lucky most folk on here are pleasent,ill be getting all the safety equipment in not a half wit ,,,

·
Severn Area Rescue
12,366 Posts
just got one ,proberly do nt need it ,not out far, but was feeling flush and i like me gadgets ,so went for it nice bit of kit,i could of got one in aldis on thursday 80 quid, but i went for the e trex hand held ,could come in usefull for logging me marks ,i will be getting a compass,and a handheld vhf radio also ,,,,,i am going all out for safety even in shallow places best to have it

:clap3: :clap3: :clap3: well done chap good to see people thinking safety before they get the boat out

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
well your a nice f***ing chap bones,ive just said about safety, i don t go out with a f****ing mobile, i got life jackets if u read my thread,,lucky most folk on here are pleasent,ill be getting all the safety equipment in not a half wit ,,,

I must agree (without the 'F' words) with you Thbkfldr.
A snide sarcastic way of imparting what is in fact good information. As my wife always tells me "It isn't what you say it's the way that you say it".
Some people like to knock others back purely because they are unhappy with them selves and doing a knock back makes them feel superior for a short time. The trouble is that the feeling only lasts a short time so the have to keep doing it and the pattern becomes ingrained.

Afishionado

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Yo Thorny.

There are chaps her who go out with three of everything, and there are those with none at all of anything. It may have sounded tongue in cheek - but everyone is concerned for your safety. If on a budget, try to prioritise what you need rather than what you want (Difficult I know - how many guys have a half finished kitchen and a new zziplex???).

Work backwards from an incident
You enter the water - lifejacket
You're in the water for a while - floatation suit
You want to attract attention - flares or an air horn
You have time to let someone know you have a problem - VHF
Minor problem on board - first aid kit
small fire on board - fire extinguisher
stop the boat from drifting - anchor & warp
.then a bit down the list
exact position required (lower priority cos you don't intend going far offshore) - GPS
then way down the list
you want to find some fish - fish finder

Just a wee question of prioritising - that's all

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you WILBA, VERY WISE WORDS,,,,,,AFISHIONADO,,,YEH HE CAME OVER VERY NASTY,,I WAS SHAKING WITH RAGE,,,,YOU DO GET THE ODD ONE ON HERE THAT JUST HAS TO DOWN TROD YOU AND PUT YA DOWN ,,,,,,I MUST LEARN TO NOT LET THEM GET TO ME ,,,,,,,I TOOK THE BAIT AND BIT YOU COULD SAY

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GOOD WORDS ,,,,,,,tickettyboo,,,,,,,yes to all of those i will have them before i even inflate it again,,,,,,,,,,the sea must BE RESPECTED

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Quote... before i even inflate it again,,,,,,

Oh Yeah! Well that'll be blowing things out of all proportion wont it!:yeah:

Afishionado

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It Has Only Been Inflated In My Mates House? I Only Got It Yesterday,,,i Dont Under Stand The Thread ,,,I WAS ON THE STELLA LAST NIGHT THO SO FUZZY HEADED , my rules and equipment FIRST AID BOX,FLARES,COMPASS ,PUNCTURE KIT, FIRE EXTING,VHF RADIO, my MATE HAS A LICENCE,,,,,LIFE JACKETS,,,,I, AND THE SECOND PERSON WILL WEAR AT ALL TIMES, THEY WILL BE ON BEFORE EVEN GETTING IN,,,,,,,NO SMOKING,,,,NO ALCOHOL ,ANCHOR AND CHAIN WITH ROPE WILL BE DONE TO THE RIGHT SPECIFICATION,,,CHECKS TO VALVES ON THE DINGHY,,,,OUTBOARD CHECKS ALL TO BE DONE BEFORE GOING OUT,,,,,,NO HANGOVERS BY MYSELF OR THE SECOND PERSON ,,,MY MATE HAS A 18 FT BOAT AND IS VERY EXPERIENCED ,,,,AND SAFE, I HAVE RESEARCHED AND TAKEN ,,,SAFETY VERY SERIOUSLY,,IT IS PARAMOUNT,,,LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL ,BUT DON T TAKE CHANCES,,,,,I SAY NOT WITH THE ELEMENTS,,,THE SEA,,,,I HOPE THIS WILL STOP CERTAIN PEOPLE FROM SHOOTING ME DOWN IN FLAMES

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Don't buy a handheld VHF that's got less than 5w output. It'll be worse than useless-the likelihood is no one will hear you and you'll have a false sense of safety.

You've got the right attitude towards it :)

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks mate , yeh got to get one with some oomph, this baoting lark cost some dosh i know that lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
you require a dsc vhf wired to a gps push one button in an emergency they have your exact location and don,t forget your licence for the vhf

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
you require a dsc vhf wired to a gps push one button in an emergency they have your exact location and don,t forget your licence for the vhf

Not on an inflatable dinghy-it's impractical. Lifejackets, a good handheld VHF and an inshore flarepack will be enough. I just grabbed myself the new Icom M71 6 watt waterproof handheld as a backup-you can get them for under £150 on Ebay.

If you can't afford to do the VHF course don't leave the VHF behind-it's better to get a fine and survive-just don't use it for anything except a mayday.

Safety and common sense needs to override legalities at times ;)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

Actually you don't.
It would be nice if you had a set up like that but it is not a 'requirement'. In the event of an emergancy and you are in a vessel with a chart table and you are a navigator one can always state Lat' and Long'. But in this case the boat in question is an inflateable. So it is unrealistic to suggest a GPS/VHF/DSC set up, when all that is required in an Pan Pan or Mayday is an awareness of where one is..
i.e. " I am aprox' 2 miles south east of the Nab tower"

One has to fit horses for courses and as said before by someone else there are chaps that get on a hobby horse without regard to the reality of what is truely required.

I and many thousands of others managed perfectly well for years with a simple compass and an armed lead line to find our depth and direction until electronics came along. But then we had common sense, respect for the sea, and learnt from others, rather than throwing money at the situation.

Afishionado

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Yep... I remember crossing Weymouth-Dartmouth with an old handheld RDF as only nav aid apart from map and compass. 6 hours out of sight of land on a sailing yacht-and hearing the sonic boom from Concorde at 11am.

I have to admit it was reassuring to be able to hear other people on VHF though.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
many thanks chaps on real good info,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my mate has a licence for vhf,, i will get a good hand held ,,,,,,,,,,,,i have a mentor were i work and he works for the sea school,,,,,,,,,,,so when i do the course he will take me on it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i will ONLY GO VERY CLOSE INSHORE MARKS, ICAN CAST 120 YRDS ON A BEACH ,SO THAT TWICE OR 3 TIMES ,,,,SHOULD PUT ME IN THE FISH,IM NOT GONNA GO OUT TO ALL THESE FISHING MARKS WAY OUT ,,,,,,,,,THATS WHAT ME MATES ,,,,,,18 FT ,,BOAT IS FOR,,,,AGAIN CHAPS MANY THANKS FOR YOUR VALID INFO AND ADVICE HOPE YOU ALL MANAGE TO GET OUT THIS EASTER AND ,,,,,CATCH,,,,,,,IM HOPEING TO ON ME MATES BOAT,,,,,,,FROM RAMSGATE,,,,,,,,KEEPING EYE ON WEATHER AT MO ......TIGHT LINES

1 - 19 of 19 Posts