World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking delivery of a new Warrior 175 in July, cant wait. :clap2:
I am about to buy some of the supplementry gear, I have about a grand to spend.
Can people suggest things for the following. :idea:
Anchor type, going for 7.5kg
Chain type and length
Rope type, length, reasonable to good quality, there are so many different types.
Size of Buoy to float an anchor.
Any good stuff people use to clean their pride and joy!!
Type, make of life jacket. Flares and electrics all sorted.
Comments on the use of a spare battery? Do you need one?

I appreciate this is a shopping list, but all comments will be gratefully received.
As I am not yet in a position to join a club.

Andy C:boat: :boat:

·
Registered
222 Posts
What options have you specced on the boat?
IMHO that's more important than the fiddly stuff.
Paul (& Frank) are good, but once they have handed over, it's your game.
Lots of chain, at least 10 feet, rope dependant on tide speed.
MER cleans everything! LOL
Crewsavers will work, luckily never had to as yet.
A spare battery is never a bad idea.
You don't want to have to try to pull start a 60hp+ outbord! Hehe
Apart from that, Warriors are great!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: Spare Battery

I would have two sets of batteries - a starter set and an electrics set with a changeover switch. This means that when you're drifting you can run sounders/vhfs etc and if the power runs out you can changeover to the starter set. Likewise if you leave bilge pumps etc. on when tied up you can changeover to the starter set when you need to.

It's less important though if you have a hand start engine. Then I would keep an emergency battery for my VHF (or have a good handheld VHF)

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
If you're buying auto lifejackets get the type with Hammar activators if possible-they won't go off when splashed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice re lifejackets, I was worried about them going off if splashed. Your fav reel a 600P was my first ever multiplier, they don't make them like that any more!!

Thanks

Andy C

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to every one who has replied to date, advice much appreciated.
Andy C:clap3:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What options have you specced on the boat?
IMHO that's more important than the fiddly stuff.
Paul (& Frank) are good, but once they have handed over, it's your game.
Lots of chain, at least 10 feet, rope dependant on tide speed.
MER cleans everything! LOL
Crewsavers will work, luckily never had to as yet.
A spare battery is never a bad idea.
You don't want to have to try to pull start a 60hp+ outbord! Hehe
Apart from that, Warriors are great!
Hi Dogjaw
Thanks for the reply
Usual electrics have been specced on the boat.
Engines are one of the new Honda 90s and a 5hp reserve.

For fishing a fast tide run any ideas on type of anchor rope.
Also have you got two batteries set up on board, if so how difficult is it to do, could you DIY.

Cheers

Andy C

T

·
0 Posts
Andy

It isn't cheap, but I prefer a nice Multiplait rope (several braids of good quality warp, braided together).

3 strand will do fine, but is nothing like as supple to the touch and doesn't coil to well.

Avoid the floating blue rubbish like the plague. It's difficuly to coil, tangles wears badly... leave it to the lobster potmen.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Into our 3rd season with Arwen, the 75 Merc charges the battery just fine, but I always keep a fully charged spare on board, just in case.
I wouldn't imagine 2nd permanent installation would be that difficult, there must be a few boffins on the board who could advise? LOL
I concur with Tom on multiplait, very supple, and make sure your anchor will sit in the well!
Other than that, an exceptional boat, except they're becoming more & more popular.
Time was, we seemed to be the only one in Pembrokeshire, but now you can get fleets of them round the back end of Skokholm & Skomer! Hehe
Enjoy your new acquisition!
Andy
btw if there's anyone who can tell me how to calibrate the fuel guage without cracking the centre hatch, I would be eternally grateful!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
If you are looking to fit a second battery and want the engine to charge them both or singley look at my web site http://fishing_boats.tripod.com/

Re anchor rope/ anchors/ chain - suggest minimum 6mm chain at least the length of your boat, 17½ft or 1½ times length of boat, it must weigh more than your anchor.
7.5kg bruce look-a-like is a good all round anchor.

Rope diameter, bigger is easier to handle & I would suggest minimum 12mm, 13 to 14mm is a good size to handle in your hands and better grip. Suggest 200 meters depending your usual depth of water. 3 strand nylon rope is more than suitable for anchor rope especially if you fish in rough ground where getting an anchor stuck is not uncommon. 8 plait rope is very good but exspensive, all depends on where you intend to fish.
Alderney Buoy - 60" will provide sufficent lift for the chain and anchor.

Flares - having recently watched a demo by the RNLI showing how cheap flares work compared to Paines and Wessex flares I will be replacing mine with these when the others come to near the end of their shelf life.

Lifejackets - try to go for the 175 newton lift models, this is above the minimum requirement of 150 newtons, don't forget a spray hood, crutch/thigh straps, light and whistle for each one. What about personel flares?

Boat polish is a personal thing but I have found AutoGlym resin polish to be as good as any. Using a powerd polisher saves loads of mussle power! :)

Hope the above helps, good luck with the new purchase. :clap3:

Dave
:boat:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts