World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All, A few people have commented that the prop on my "new" boat looks a bit on the small side. I cannot do the calculations as I do not know the gearbox ratio. The engine is a Perkins 6354 fitted with a velvet-drive gearbox V-drive. The boat is ashore for a few more months, so I can"t do the sums on the water. Can I calculate the ratio with a strobe on the shaft? Any ideas you clever people out there? BECKS:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greetings, Many thanks Davy and Chris, I will have another look for the number. I wasn"t aware Velvet drive were stilll around.
BECKS:clap3:

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Greetings, Many thanks Davy and Chris, I will have another look for the number. I wasn"t aware Velvet drive were stilll around.
BECKS:clap3:
It should be on a small metal plate on the top of the box near the oil filler.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greetings all, Been up to the boat today, cleaned up the gearbox housing and no sign of a makers plate, so no luck there. Any other ideas welcome.
BECKS

·
Registered
220 Posts
you could always turn the motor one rev" and count how many times the prop goes around. take out the injectors fist, unless you are built like POPEYE

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you could always turn the motor one rev" and count how many times the prop goes around. take out the injectors fist, unless you are built like POPEYE
Thanks Alan, most people say i am built more like Pluto. The trouble is the manual states about 6 different ratios fractions apart. Is it that cruical to get it ****-on?
BECKS

·
Registered
220 Posts
theres a web site. castel marine. with a down load called propcalc, i think? you can put in all the variables and see what comes out

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Alana has it right. But you need to see the engines crank rotation before it goes into the gear box. Can you see the engines front pully? If the answer is yes grab a pot of white Tipex and get back to us.

Afishionado

1 - 10 of 10 Posts