World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished gilckicker hw2230 one guy set up next to me,I caught 84 lots of 84 lb weed and was real p****d of with it but the bloke next to me had a 6lb smut so was still interested!! stayed out till 0025 with a 1.5lb dog to show for it but got so drunk it didnt matter!!!

but the point i really wanted to make was that the guy that had the smut stuck it in a bucket so that it was basically bent double, with around 10"of water in it and it must have been at least 3 hours before he left to get it weighed by his club? (which was still at least a 20 minute walk to the car and a 20 minute drive back to lee on solent) is this usual practice because i thought it was a bit wrong.
would like to hear your thoughts

cheers guys

·
Registered
238 Posts
Fished gilckicker hw2230 one guy set up next to me,I caught 84 lots of 84 lb weed and was real p****d of with it but the bloke next to me had a 6lb smut so was still interested!! stayed out till 0025 with a 1.5lb dog to show for it but got so drunk it didnt matter!!!

but the point i really wanted to make was that the guy that had the smut stuck it in a bucket so that it was basically bent double, with around 10"of water in it and it must have been at least 3 hours before he left to get it weighed by his club? (which was still at least a 20 minute walk to the car and a 20 minute drive back to lee on solent) is this usual practice because i thought it was a bit wrong.
would like to hear your thoughts

cheers guys

the bloke needed to be put in the bucket himself and see what he thought about it
very wrong why do people do these things
are they looking for glory
i dont see glory in that at all

·
Registered
872 Posts
when i fished for a club the way to go for smoothounds was to measure it tail to head then there was a lenght to weight conversion chart not to sure how accruate that was but thats how they used to do it catch then measure then put bac a.s.a.p

·
Registered
109 Posts
IS this a common problem to the area???????????? I recently visited Stokes Bay where there was a small boat comp weigh in, on the day in question the ammount of fish that were brought in to be weighed and released back into the sea DEAD made it embarrasing to be called an angler,the fish being put back were a mixture of dogs rays pout and bass(small) which were being washed back onto the shingle with the tide,these were then being photographed by some visitors who made it quite obvious that anglers were not their favorite persons, If we are going to have COMPETITIONS catch and release is a must, Lets get our own house in order before the ANTIs start firing the bullets.
I catch and release and kill to eat.

·
Registered
603 Posts
IS this a common problem to the area???????????? I recently visited Stokes Bay where there was a small boat comp weigh in, on the day in question the ammount of fish that were brought in to be weighed and released back into the sea DEAD made it embarrasing to be called an angler,the fish being put back were a mixture of dogs rays pout and bass(small) which were being washed back onto the shingle with the tide,these were then being photographed by some visitors who made it quite obvious that anglers were not their favorite persons, If we are going to have COMPETITIONS catch and release is a must, Lets get our own house in order before the ANTIs start firing the bullets.
I catch and release and kill to eat.
Couldn't agree with you more. I actually wouldn't mind having a go at fishing a specimen comp (pout/doggies don't float my boat). But having to kill fish that I'm not eating, just for the weigh in, puts me off. If they're not for the pot, they go back.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i fish for a local club in pompey and all are matches are now measure and release,as for smuts they they have always been measure and release as we also use a conversion chart to work out the approx weight

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill ring his neck when ifi see him again then

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
do more than ring his neck. hes a joke and gives all decent anglers a bad name. if you not going to eat it put it back. if it were me i would of gone over picked up the bucket and put the smutt back, and if he wanted to dance id kick him over to the isle of wight, with his own bucket on his bonce.:uhuh:

·
Registered
872 Posts
the night i had my double from haslar a bloke 60 yards from me and ivor caught a 4lb smoothound and stuffed it in a carrier bag to take home and eat:unsure: does anyone else eat these fish ive always put them bac(not that i would keep one anyway):g:

·
Registered
19 Posts
the night i had my double from haslar a bloke 60 yards from me and ivor caught a 4lb smoothound and stuffed it in a carrier bag to take home and eat:unsure: does anyone else eat these fish ive always put them bac(not that i would keep one anyway):g:
my mate ate one, said it felt awful killing it! the only time i eat any fish i catch is if they're deep hooked

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have eaten smoothound in the past and you might have if you have ordered Huss at the chip shop. It is good eating but not politically correct to take them these days.

People are slagging this guy off for taking that smoothie but do we know he was not going to eat it?

Interestingly no one is treating the guy that took the blonde ray from Chale the same way and I cannot see the difference.

Before anyone has a go at me my attitude is if you catch it and it is legal then it is yours to do what you want with. I dont keep much and like to catch and release but that it just my preference.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
i wait all year to catch and RELEASE these beautiful creatures,and morons like that treat them with no respect, makes my blood boil

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
just like to add smoothound make very poor eating, thats why 99% are put back. if your going to eat it then thats fine but to put it in a bucket for 3 hours to maybe win a plastic trophy to put on mantle piece makes my blood boil. he would of had it weighed and thrown back in dead. i actually dont eat any of the ray family either, and if i caught a record fish of any type in fact and i didnt eat it i would put it back in. records and winning platic cups and a few quid, maybe getting your picture in a magzine means nothing to me. i fish because i love it, i get no better feeling than putting it back in to fight another day, its even better than catching it.
each to there own but thats my point of view.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts