World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down swanpool beach this morning and saw a line of faint dots....on closer inspection it was a gillnet stretching from the right hand side of the beach, almost all the way to pannance point (stack). No wonder i didnt catch anything there the other day!!! I climbed over the rocks toward the net and realised it had been exposed by the tide.....mesh squares everywhere!! There were several sea gulls and a cormorant nearby, walking alongside the net probably looking for a cheap meal. The net must have been a good 200 meters long, maybe more, but only about 10 or so meters were exposed by the tide. Whoever put the net down, must either be new to the business or just be unaware of this mysterious thing called 'the tide'.

The mesh was approx 2inch wide.

Why was there a net soo close to the shore, and why had they placed it somewhere which dries out at low tide. Its crazy, surely this isnt legal? And isnt there a law protecting the top 8 feet of water, to allow sea trout and salmon to swim freely, therefore nets must be below this, right?

Anyway, before you ask, YES i did have my phone to hand and YES i did have the EA gillnet reporting number to hand..(0800 80 70 60)
I reported the finding and they will hopefully sort it out.

I will try get down tmrw morning to see if the net is still there and to post a picture of it, as its just a discrace. There were children swimming right up to it.

Anyone else seen it?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
dont know what the lagal thing is but children swimming up to it in this weather lol shame on there parents me thinks

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
Lug,

The meshes on a net are measured by height, not width. The net will be rigged slack, so the meshes will always be partially closed. A 2inch net is tiny, probably only catch tiny red mullet, or small pilchards in such a net. Much more likey the meshes were about 4 or 4 and a half inches tall - ie. a bass net.

The nets are fished so close to the shore beacause that is where the bass are!

It may or may not be illegal i'm not familiar with the area in question so could not say for sure. In cewrtain areas, the headrope - with the floats on has to be 10ft below the water at any state of the tide. If this was such an area then obviously it would have been illegal.

If the net was there when you arrived; how has that got any connection whatsoever to you not catching the last time you fished there?? lol

The person who shot it there may well have no idea what he is doing; or could have had problems such as engine trouble, or problems retrieving the rest of his gear so may not have made it in time to retrieve that one before the tide went away.

You did the right think. If in doubt always report a suspected illegal net.

SS
myself i would tie into the end of the net then bury in a weight under the sand so the tosser who put it there would have a major problem getting it out mean while the E.A. would be called to nick him on the spot. BURN ILLEGAL NETTERS BOATS THE LOT. INFACT BURN ALL NETS FULL STOP..

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
YEAH thats really funny kids getting drowned in a net!
you really are the limit sometimes rich:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:
what are you going on about m8 thats what i was saying kids should be no were near the net and as for letting them swim in the sea in the state its in at the min it madness
you may try and say or try and twist thing mate but you will never win people know me as a good family man as for you mate well people have seen what u are made of now go away again like you did for a few weeks

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
myself i would tie into the end of the net then bury in a weight under the sand so the tosser who put it there would have a major problem getting it out mean while the E.A. would be called to nick him on the spot. BURN ILLEGAL NETTERS BOATS THE LOT. INFACT BURN ALL NETS FULL STOP..
here you go thats right bury it so no one can see it and when the tide comes in and washes it away a bit you get ya leg trapped in it nice one mate

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh dear...

Lug: I am reading this and I am really ****ed! I was on Maenporth the other night and didn't see any nets at the low tide. I will be keeping an eye though.

Can we all, who live down here, keep a look out. One gill net will take the best fish out for the whole season. If we can stop it in any way I suggest we do.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sub-office:
Penryn
Marine Fisheries Agency
Seaway House
Commercial Road
Penryn
Cornwall
TR10 8AQ
Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 01326 375394
(24 hour answer phone)

Fax: 01326 376443

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh dear...

Lug: I am reading this and I am really ****ed! I was on Maenporth the other night and didn't see any nets at the low tide. I will be keeping an eye though.

The net was between the right hand side of swanpool, going out to stack point. I forgot to mention that i saw a makrel in the net on the rocks and am about to put the peppered fillets on a sizzling griddle pan for dinner!!!! Ahhhh!!!! The question is, did i steal from the fisherman or was i trying to avoid a threat to marine life :g:

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
In this day and age of hydraulic net haulers; you'd have to bury a pretty large weight pretty deep in the sand to make it hard for a fisherman to get it back.

I'm sure there would be more constructive ways of exerting your energy??

If all nets were burnt; there would be a massive rise in the amount of trawlers which are far worse; both to fish stocks and the environment.

The original idea was far better. If in doubt about the legality of any nets set to fish in close proximity to the shore; then report it. Damaging the gear in anyway may land you in hot water if the gear turns out to be being legally fished by a licienced fisherman.
Not that you need to be a licienced fisherman to fish with a gill net mind you.

SS
YO SS, you forget i worked nets years ago and i also know how to set moorings too:) ie;2x2ft square plate 2ft down in the sand will not move with any hauler! you will turn a boat of 25 30ft over trying to shift that on a straight lift:) (before you say it anyone) iI DONT ADVISE ANYONE TO DO THIS!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am surprised that the bloke who owns swanpool cafe wasnt ****ed right of about this. He rents out kayaks, sailing boats and jet skis and would think that running into a net would damage his kit. Whoever shot this net would only be likely to catch mackeral or pollock but not that many bass. I would imagine in this area. Swanpool for those of you who do not know the area is a very popular recreational beach in Falmouth and having net that close to it is asking for trouble. well done for spotting and reporting it. Also I can see no problem with parents letting their kids in the sea there it is flat calm here and has been for the last few days although perhaps you could argue they should be at school. But if they are on holiday they are even less likely to know what a gill net is. Perhaps a word with the lifeguards at gylly would be a good idea as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am pretty sure that the sea areas in front of Swanpool and Maenporth beachs are what are termed 'unrestricted netting areas' as they are not places where salmon or sea trout are normally found. This means that the EA have no power to seize nets set in this area nor do the MFA or sea fisheries.

Sadly that gill net might have been set legally.

·
Registered
213 Posts
YO SS, you forget i worked nets years ago and i also know how to set moorings too:) ie;2x2ft square plate 2ft down in the sand will not move with any hauler! you will turn a boat of 25 30ft over trying to shift that on a straight lift:) (before you say it anyone) iI DONT ADVISE ANYONE TO DO THIS!!
Yeah ur right there met thats what i was going to say.:clap3:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Another scenario...what would happen if a youngster DID drown in a "Legally set" gillnet? Who would the court hold responsible? If there were no warning signs, posted visibly, then it would be at least manslaughter.

Many years ago on the Essex Sunshine Coast, we had problems with trammel nets for mullet set diagonally across groynes by the late-night restaurant brigade, presumably for mullet. Easily got rid of...couple of good swimmers, volunteering to get wet in a good cause, photographer from the local rag, a dinghy for safety, and a set of pictures for the local council to ponder over, with the unenviable threat of the pictures arriving on the editors desk at the "News of the World" if nothing was done about the deadly killer nets along the beach. Within a fortnight an emergency resolution was passed banning these and every other net along a 6 mile stretch of coast for the whole holiday season. This happened over 30 years ago, just do it again if needed. It is frightening what power the press still have!!

philtherod

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
[QUOTE=cookie;649406)

Frankly, there should be a byelaw stating that any set gill net should have dahns set at either end which are clearly marked and provide the boat name, boat number and owners name- any net without the correct marking would then be considered illegal and subsequently lifted and destroyed - you see, if you had an accident how would the person responsible be traced for insurance claim purposes?

Excellent point cookie well done:clap3:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Doesn't really seem right that the net is legal does it.

Irresepective of whether its legal, I would actually say that to set it so close to a known bathing beach is downright irresponsible. If these are so called professional fishermen shouldn't they be operating to some form of code of practice?

Frankly, there should be a byelaw stating that any set gill net should have dahns set at either end which are clearly marked and provide the boat name, boat number and owners name- any net without the correct marking would then be considered illegal and subsequently lifted and destroyed - you see, if you had an accident how would the person responsible be traced for insurance claim purposes?

Take an analogy, If i put a barbed wire fence across my garden and a trespasser got caught up in it, I could be prosecuted and a claim made against me. So why not an irresponsible commercial fishermen - trouble is, they all think the sea and almost everything in it belongs to them and no-one else. Bout time the law changes - don't you agree?

Furthermore, this is the season of basking sharks and they are well known for frequenting that area - without any doubt that net would be acting as a threat to these animals and should be removed fior that reason.

As for the obvious human health threat it might be worth contacting environmental health at Carrick district council, MCA or Falmouth Town council to highlight the problem - they might consider requesting a byelaw -Not good for PR having holidaymakers drowning in gill nets

No doubt the CFPO will blame the french or spanish anyway as uk fishermen never break the rules do they - eerrrrr well:crazy:
:clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts