World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glanced at an Anglers Mail last week. As usual the only bit of interest was Mike Thrussel's page.

He was saying that, now Labour have been re elected, one of the fisheries minister's (Ben Bradshaw, I think) first jobs should be to implement the findings of the Prime Ministers's select comittee's report into recreational sea angling.

Can this be true????? If it is, it's absolutely fantastic. Bass to be designated a sportfish and gill nets banned within one mile of the shore.

Of course, as Mike says, it's one thing passing a law but policing it is quite another. We are fortunate to have many thousands of volunteer 'police persons', Ourselves. We can't leave it to enforcement agencies, we have to be their eyes and ears. But who do you report to?

In my part of the world, Dawlish, South Devon, we have the Devon Sea Fisheries Committe. I don't wish to be unkind but I don't know why they bother. IMHO all they seem to be concerned about is protecting the commercials. I've reported suspect nets to them in the past and it's a waste of time.

However, we also have The Environment Agency. What a difference here. In the past 6 months I've reported to them twice. In each case someone rang me back very quickly for all the details. They took it all very seriously and even rang me back again with the outcome!!

The second occasion involved illegal netting on the River Exe and, within about 45 mins of me reporting it I got a phone call from the enforcement officer saying he was there on the river but couldn't see them!!

The EA hotline number is 0800 80 70 60. I think it's the same number everywhere. Programme it into your mobile and report anything you think is not right.

I'm off my soap box now!!!

Owen

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
it's good fun and the one at ringstead was perhaps more important in the fact that my children regularly swim there. and there has not been another one since as i suspect they mabye read the thread. what really naffs me off is this. when me and dannielle (daughter) go to ringstead, we take a couple of spider crabs for the claws but only what we KNOW we will eat when we get home. i took one pollock and we ate it that same evening. we go to studland and swim for razors, again we only ever take what we need. i imagine that the majority of people on this site are not greedy. but then we have the gits that put nets out illegally all over poole and everywhere else and in poole they get away with it because they have boats that will go out in 4 inches of water. well i have got a kayak that will do just that and i will go out and take thier bloody picture as they do it, i'm not scared! i break my back at work and sometimes out of work so my family can go to the beach every night and they are spoiling that :(

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Well done on the crusade m8. Spider crab claws eh?-sounds good where abouts on the beach do you find them and what sort of size is edible I see hundreds of dead small ones on my favourite beach but none of any size...............Oh and congrats on becoming hardcore

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
i don't believe it !!!!!!!!! i am hardcore arn't i.
as for the spiders i just swim out twenty feet tops on ringstead beach and they are there for the taking. FRENCH LOVE THEM. but never mind that they are bloody lovely. if you ever want a couple let me know if you are local to the weymouth area and there yours. in fact i wonder if the rest of it could be used for bait. i pay 90 pence each for mine in the search for my first bass as someone said big bait big fish but no luck! the sole destroying thing there is that i actually have them swim within ten feet of me when i'm in the water, and there all laughing at me as they go by :mad:

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Worms worms and more worms m8 if you want a Bass the ones you can see are probably schoolies. I've had success recently fishing just inside the surfline using King rag or rag and blowlug cocktail on a 3 hook Paternoster Any number of schoolies to about 2lb, one of 3.55 and one of 4.75( I had an electronic fish scale for Christmas :) ). I know people swear by crab and I have caught on it in the past but this is what's working for me at the moment. As for the spiders I think I'll give that a miss, I try to make sure the only time I get wet is in the shower :) but if I'm ever down your way I might well take you up on your kind offer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice One Owen. I Live In Starcross And Grew Up In Dawlish And At The Moment There Are Marker Bouys And Flags Stretching From Langstone Cliff Right Across The Bay To Teignmouth And Beyond Ok Alot Of These May Be Cuttle Fish Pots But I Bet There Are Netts There As Well. May Be Why The Fishings Been **** Off Dawlish For Months???? :( :(

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that bassbandit.

Hey we're almost neighbours!! And obviously have similar views on fishing.

I fish quite alot from the shore and also have a 16ft boat a bit like a Strikeliner with a 25hp engine. I keep it in the garden on a trailer and launch in Teignmouth at the opposit end of the docks from Polly Steps. I also have some crab pots down by the wreck on the river which are for my personal use only (I don't sell them!)

We all know that our area is not the best for decent bass although I did have 2 on poppers last year, 6lb and 8lb 3oz from a shore mark not far away. This is the first year I've had this boat and I'm wondering if you'd fancy a trip or two???

I actually had a day out today (Tuesday) I was hoping for a black bream (haven't caught one yet) and maybe a plaice. We went to the Orestone area where I'd been told there is a bream mark but it turned quite rough. We then drifted between Orestone and Flat ledge hoping for a plaice but no joy there either, only dogs. Still it was a nice day and we had a few mackerel. We also had some cracking codling last winter

Anyway if you fancy a trip on the boat, or shore, send me a PM and we'll set something up but if you don't, that's fine and maybe I'll bump into you. Actually I suppose we could know each other anyway!!

All the best,

Owen

V

·
0 Posts
ian,we'll have to supply you with a few limpet mine's next time you go out,on a different note-110/10 for the net biz. :D :D :D

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
the best way is to get the net and leave a little message on the marker bouys. there is a bloke who had one just outside lulworth cove who can asure you that this is a most anoying thing to happen. this bloke exploded into the face of the chap he was with and i actually watched him yelling and swearing from the cliff top, he had a total fit! he was a very nasty man. he also had no life jacket on but there was one in the bottom of his silly little black rib whitch i will sink if i find out where he moors it. lisa is starting to suspect that i have too much spare time now kite-surfing is out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts