World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the info from Lugulator's report (cheers for posting that) and from seeing how much crabs there are around I thought Id go and target some gilt heads.

Went and dug some lug and made my way to my Bream Mark. Was a lovelly day and I set up baited up and cast out. Was just about low tide. Nothing happened for a while. Was fantastic sitting in the sun and the temperature was amazing for April. On abut my third cast I had a very positive bite definately was a Bass or a Bream. Struck my rod and didnt connect with the fish so I started swearing a bit and rebaited.

Next bit of 'action' was when some [email protected] in a boat ranover my line result was more swearing while setting up again and rebaiting.

A few casts later I had another rattle. I waited and the rod went again...so I struck had a fish on and by the feel of it it was either a bass or a bream. The fish was going nuts all over the place. By now I knew it was a bream, bass dont fight anywhere near as well pound for pound IMHO. The fish gave a good acount of itself and because I didnt have a net I let it tire itself out and then slide it onto a patch of sand. It was a gilt head and not a bad one at that. So I started swearing again (for joy this time)

Personally I love bream and I decided that this one was for dinner quickly killed the fish and rebaited and cast out. Then wieghed the fish came in at 2 1/2 pounds. Didnt have anything else but still is alway nice to catch a good fish after all the huss and doggies of winter. :)

Here is the beast at home waiting to be filleted:

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
great fish mate.

good sign of things to come.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great Bream m8 - nice report

I used to catch loads of these a couple of years back on the Hamble in Southampton. Light carp gear 1 ounce weight, small hooks...great fight. I see that you used Lug for it. I always pricked them on really small harbour rag - maddies. Bunchies of them in 3's and 4's. Is lugworm the mainway to go for them here. (Falmouth) ? Do you think Maddies are worth a try or no?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Worth a go mate-if they are in a feeding frenzy they will go for almost anything
I'll definatley second that, I had one last year on bread flake floated for mullet. Fantastic fish there mate, can't wait to get out and try for one myself.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Good catch there mate. Seems like they are starting to appear in numbers now, as ive heard of a few in the fal, which im yet to try for:unsure: . I think I will be trying for a few more gilts this week, now that Im back from a weekends camping.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I reckon peeler crab is the bait for these savages followed by shellfish, worms etc i nearly lost my rod twice last year over the side of the boat, both times prime giltheads i don't think theres a stronger fish in our waters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts