World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of a local mark that produces Gilthead Bream from the end of June through to September and intend fishing it, however, knowing very little about the species I was wondering what the best approach would be to start off with?

I've always found that mackie and squid fish well for shore Black Bream, but is this the same for Giltheads?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Where are you fishing for these? I've been told that they prefer estuaries at slack water. I've read a few have been caught recently in the estuary near Salcombe.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
would this mark be somewhere in portland harbour? i fished a spot from a small boat in the harbour where apparently they have been caught, it was about 2-300yrds from the shore

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, i've heard of a few Giltheads from Portland Harbour but its not there, its further east between Bowleaze and Redcliffe. A local day boat catches them regulary in the nets about 100yds off shore on the edge of the sea grass beds.

Its an area that I am getting to know quite well through Bass fishing, but I have not found much info on Giltheads anywhere so need to work out the basics on the species before sitting there for weeks on end and fishing trial and error style.

Steve

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
trial and error would be a good place to start, i dont know about baits but i would probably start off with ragworm tipped with a strip of squid. this is the no 1 bait for black breem so i woulnt think giltheads have a much different appetite

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I have caught the in the Med. They really go for mussels but also small pieces of whitebait (half) or calamari. The whitebait can be left in salt overnight to make them stay on the hook better. Small baits with the hook exposed were best as they strip hooks bare in seconds. Small No 8, or no.6 baited feathers worked well but the hooks at the bottom were the best. I dont know if this works in our waters! Good luck Tell us what works. FANTASTIC EATING!!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have read an article in a very old sea angler mag, on the day they were fishing, they used peeler crab as bait tipped off with a squid tentical, and they done okay

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
theres a great spot for guiltheads near sandsfoot castle, i had a 6.1lb last year on peeler crab. lots there about 4-5lb at first light on an incoming tide. i have only caught them on peeler and hermits. :D

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
yeah, thats where we were after them from the boat (i say boat, it's more of a dingy)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts