World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been putting some time in on the Gilts over the last month or so. Only 2 successful trips in about 8 but we both broke our PBs. Mine was between 5 3/4 - 6LBS. ( not good scales) Johnny's weighed on digital scales 5lbs 7ozs.
IMG-20210703-WA0006 (5).jpg
IMG-20210718-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20210718-WA0000.jpg

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apologise for the double posting of the second picture...Mods by all means delete one (y)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Nicely done. I've got a friend who spear fishes he reckons they are massively on the increase

·
Registered
756 Posts
This chap has actually pointed me to an area of open water which surprised me.

·
Registered
25,005 Posts
Sweet!!!!! We went a while back but had engine trouble so ended up staying in carrick roads. Glad your still getting on the fish!!!

Reactions: bass912

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nicely done. I've got a friend who spear fishes he reckons they are massively on the increase
I'm hearing of them being caught off some of the beaches, which would support what you've been told. In the estuary where we fish, I would say the numbers are down, compared to previous years. I have been told there's netting going on by night, which might explain this.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
We've been putting some time in on the Gilts over the last month or so. Only 2 successful trips in about 8 but we both broke our PBs. Mine was between 5 3/4 - 6LBS. ( not good scales) Johnny's weighed on digital scales 5lbs 7ozs. View attachment 1369513 View attachment 1369517 View attachment 1369517
Cracking fish, but may I please suggest restraint by all you gilt hunters? There are a lot of anglers after them now, and if they kill them all we won't have any for for the future. I had 54 last year but kept only 10. These were fish between 2-3lb, which I suggest is the ideal 'slot size' for eating. If everyone put back gilts which are smaller or larger than this (our best two of 6lb and 7lb were returned) it would help the breeding stock for the future. My mate Barry and I are both hoping for a double-figure gilt this year, and if we get one it will be photographed and returned. PH

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'm hoping to get on when down there (Falmouth) Saturday on. I will be keeping a few fish for the BBQ as my friend who's invited me down like fish BBQ'ed but mostly I return my catch,I'll keep all posted on my trip as I go.

Cheer's,
Bill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts