World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi lads looks like the bass are starting to show i hope we all know takeable size limits (needs reviseing) if not take the time & trouble to find out please.it is nice to catch bass even nicer to eat but best of all to see them power off back through the surf to maybe give some sport to some else in the future.tightlines .bob

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
i follow the NFSA rules anyway bobby

which is 41 cm from the shore minimum and never take a fish under 45 Cm's anyway and for all you on boats its the same as the shore ,
i very rarely take bass anyway ...............

1 . cause i cant often catch them :blink: :unsure:

2. i think there's better tasting fish to be eating:clap3: :clap3:

tightlines......................daz

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
i totally agree with bass size laws but, there are conflicting arguements on the subject. should we be taking bass that are reaching spawning maturity, or the smaller fish that have not?.
this subject has been going on for some time and no doubt will continue after my time. it does,nt effect me , because its very rare that i keep any.
the biggest problem is the number of people who would and do take all sizable bass and no doubt have a nice little outlet where they can turn them [illegally] into cash in hand

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I personally think there should be an insize min and max....eg min 40cm - max 55cm. That way we could take fish that are large enough to eat and at the same time not take those that are at their maximum spawning potential.

Having said that, i did feel a little guilty at killing a 6LB one last year.....considering it took all that time to reach that size.

The amount of times i saw lads on the shore and the wall taking 20cm fish last year was quite sad....just wait until the polish learn that there's money from bass....then the real trouble begins!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
HI ALL I dont think it will be long before the netters get going I know its ok to post a good report on bass but it does have its draw backs Call me selfish but i think twice before posting how my favourite bass marks are fishing

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you catch a large bass its hard to return it but they are the spawning stock ive took two large bass and same as Danix felt guilty.So this year only bass i will take is between two and four pound and only two per sesh if im lucky to get em.We can put limits on our catches but it dosent make a dent in the bass population what we take from the shore or the pleasure angler in a boat compaired to commercial netters so on the other hand why feel guilty, if we dont catch em the netters or long liners might.Maybe ur returning em to be caught by a less sporting method ????
Its personal choice at the end of the day I like to eat em and if I get lucky I will let other members know how when and where.THIS SITE HELPS ME MAKE DECISIONS ON WHERE TO FISH BY READING CATCH REPORTS .They are a very usefull part of the site and any netter worth his salt knows more than us where the bass are they,ve got money on it .
anyway thats my opinion...
Hope everyone gets them silvers...

·
Registered
266 Posts
hi lads i gotta say this on the bass thing
ask yourself do we fish to eat or for the pleasure of wetting a line
first ...set yourslf a target to release the first bass caught and enjoy the thrill of it.
secondly.....take the second bass caught ONLY if it is over 2 & and a half pounds and under 5
that way the incentive to fish the same rig ect so as to repeat your skill is more enjoyable.
thirdly....if you got a big family take another (if your lucky enough to catch one).
but most importantly realise that what we got in the sea is not gonna last forever and neither is the right to fish .
but if we follow simple rules then we can stand up for our sporting activity. i have a personal rule ....anything under 2lb goes back and swims away to grow and be caught by someone else.dont give the antis ANY amunition at all
trust me i used to be a dog man i used to enjoy running lurchers,hunting terriers, ferrets and hawks but the uneducated people ruined it all and got it all banned because they belived the press and the bull **** and swallowed every story they could true or untrue and used to it to sway opinion .......my view..fishing is next
educate NOW and preserve what we got or lose it for the future .
sorry to get heavy but i feel strongly about this and the morons in that cod kicking video made me SICK but because of people like that fishing could one day be banned if not on the cruelty band wagon then on the ...fishermen make a horrible mess and don't take there rubbish home so lets stop fishing along here ****.
beware and be warned lads ...spread the word and EDUCATE. IF YOU GET A MOUTHFULL FROM ASKING OTHERS TO TAKE HOME THERE RUBBISH a pain tho it is pick it up and put it in a bin yourself DO IT cos thats were it will start.
right off me soap box and to bed thanks for listening.

·
Registered
603 Posts
i follow the NFSA rules anyway bobby

which is 41 cm from the shore minimum and never take a fish under 45 Cm's anyway and for all you on boats its the same as the shore ,
i very rarely take bass anyway ...............

1 . cause i cant often catch them :blink: :unsure:

2. i think there's better tasting fish to be eating:clap3: :clap3:

tightlines......................daz
The new size have been delayed the legal limit is 36cm

Minister delays increase in BASS MLS
Although not formally announced yet, it is common knowledge, confirmed by DEFRA officials, that following a presentation by representatives of the commercial fishing industry last week the minister, Mr Bradshaw, has decided to delay the start date of the increased mls for Bass while he reviews the evidence placed before him.

We understand from Defra officials that within the next few days we (the RSA community) will be formally advised of the decision, which apparently is largely based on the commercial view on discard levels under the new mls. We also understand that with the announcement will be copies of the latest information from CEFAS on Bass discards. All organisations involved in the topic to date will then be given the opportunity to submit new evidence relevant to the decision before a final decision is taken by the Minister. No one can say how long the process will take.

Once the NFSA has the formal decision letter and CEFAS information it will actively support the decision to raise the mls in any way it can, working closely with the BASS organisation in the process and to best effect. Exactly what form that support will take can only be decided after consultation with BASS.

Richard Ferre. Chairman NFSA.

See links below

http://www.nfsa.org.uk/news/2007-03-20.htm
and
http://ukbass.com/2007/03/bass-mls-increase-stopped.html
and
http://ukbass.com/2007/03/fureore-over-bass-mls-delay.html

·
Registered
490 Posts
Cant disagree with anything stated above...but I'll worry about it if I'm lucky enough to catch one

1 - 12 of 12 Posts