World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am a fisherman and run a positive news website. I just published an article on sustainable fishing and global marine stocks. I thought it would be relevant to post it here, as we all fish in the sea and oceans and hence are largely dependent on healthy and plentiful stocks.

Would be awesome to hear your thoughts on it: https://allgoodnewz.com/sustainable-fishing/

Tight lines
Max

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Hi guys,

I am a fisherman and run a positive news website. I just published an article on sustainable fishing and global marine stocks. I thought it would be relevant to post it here, as we all fish in the sea and oceans and hence are largely dependent on healthy and plentiful stocks.

Would be awesome to hear your thoughts on it: https://allgoodnewz.com/sustainable-fishing/

Tight lines
Max
biggest load of bs ive heard
i.ll go back to one of my tv recordings
from the smithsonion channel
and sort some figures

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi man,

thanks for the reply, I guess :)

What are you referring to, exactly? The article, the scientific evidence presented, fish stock recovery in general?

Cheers, Max

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
50% of global fish stocks recovering is a bit misleading to some, especially anglers from this part of the world. Whilst in other parts of the globe this maybe the case, but fish stocks around the british Isles are getting hammered and are in constant demise. A positive spin on global stocks increase won't get much praise on here as most of us are from Britain. Reading the article, the first comment is from an Irish guy and he pointed out the trawlers sweeping up everything off the west coast, fishing within limits where they shouldn't be allowed but they do it anyway. Its common knowledge, everybody here has felt the effects.

Might be good down in Australia or somewhere like that, sure they effectively banished a super trawler from their fishery, where did it go then? Off the coast of Ireland!

·
Premium Member
8,533 Posts
Hi guys,

Tight lines
Max
Hi Max, Welcome to WSF Forums. Yes we are all in the same boat, until they mention Bans, then it finger pointing on who takes the most fish, well it quite obvious who and where the biggest waste of undersize fish stocks comes from. The biggest problems are Governments not having the balls to sort it and trying to please the one sector, that make the most money out all the Free fish stocks available in the seas. The Angler get what is left over, and in most cases can say, see, what effect it is having first hand on fish stocks, you can ask plenty on these forums about certain fish, but for me they all count, and we do nothing about it, moan yes that about as far as it get. But until the Governments get a hold of the real problem there will be no fish left to fish for. The latest excuse now is migration of fish stocks because of global warming, no they have out fish the stock recovery. Some Governments in the world like the USA and Canada have banned Commercial fishing, from fishing up to five years, for their stock of fish to recover, and take control on quotas and breeding season after that, and still give anglers bag limits and season for catching fishing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Max, Welcome to WSF Forums. Yes we are all in the same boat, until they mention Bans, then it finger pointing on who takes the most fish, well it quite obvious who and where the biggest waste of undersize fish stocks comes from. The biggest problems are Governments not having the balls to sort it and trying to please the one sector, that make the most money out all the Free fish stocks available in the seas. The Angler get what is left over, and in most cases can say, see, what effect it is having first hand on fish stocks, you can ask plenty on these forums about certain fish, but for me they all count, and we do nothing about it, moan yes that about as far as it get. But until the Governments get a hold of the real problem there will be no fish left to fish for. The latest excuse now is migration of fish stocks because of global warming, no they have out fish the stock recovery. Some Governments in the world like the USA and Canada have banned Commercial fishing, from fishing up to five years, for their stock of fish to recover, and take control on quotas and breeding season after that, and still give anglers bag limits and season for catching fishing.
All good news from someone who's never tried fishing in our waters. Was this article written by the commercial fishing sector by any chance?
50% of global fish stocks recovering is a bit misleading to some, especially anglers from this part of the world. Whilst in other parts of the globe this maybe the case, but fish stocks around the british Isles are getting hammered and are in constant demise. A positive spin on global stocks increase won't get much praise on here as most of us are from Britain. Reading the article, the first comment is from an Irish guy and he pointed out the trawlers sweeping up everything off the west coast, fishing within limits where they shouldn't be allowed but they do it anyway. Its common knowledge, everybody here has felt the effects.

Might be good down in Australia or somewhere like that, sure they effectively banished a super trawler from their fishery, where did it go then? Off the coast of Ireland!
Hi guys,

thanks for answering and sharing your thoughts and experiences.

No, this article wasn't written or sponsored by the commercial fishing sector! :) But I hear you, for sure. My main point with the article was to show the great benefits of sustainable fishing practices. The trick is to apply them on a long-term basis. Something that is obviously not the case over in Ireland! We have had the same problems over here in Sweden, mainly with the cod in the Baltic Sea. EU trawlers have basically vacuum cleaned up the entire sea...and the stock is down by ca 90%! I am a freshwater specimen angler and we fish for coastal populations of perch and pike. Same there, environmental issues and commercial fishing have decimated them a lot...all the while, rod angling is restricted during spawning season (which is of course a good thing, but with almost a 100% c&r rate, not the issue at all).

I have actually gone ahead and mailed the article to the EU fisheries minister...maybe they can learn a thing or two, one never knows.

Anyways, thanks again for your feedback and for reading my article. Lets hope the positive trend of sustainability also reaches our corners of the world real soon!

Tight lines
Max

1 - 7 of 7 Posts