World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading Degs' report on Trearddur bay, Steve and me headed back there on Thursday night to try and bag a dragonet, it should have been a lovely summer's evening but the good old British weather had other ideas, we arrived to find a gusty wind and horizontal rain it was more like December cod fishing than summer species hunting :eek:hmy:

We decided to give it a go anyway but conditions got worse by the minute and after 45 minutes we called it quits as the waves started to break over the ledge. It wasn't a complete waste of time though as Goldenb***s managed a double shot of a red gurnard and our target species a dragonet :notworthy, sadly I could only manage 6 poor cod :sad:.

On the way back to the car we thought of an alternative venue but the only place we could think of near enough, with a chance of something different was the Breaky.

Conditions were a bit better at the Breaky but we decided to fish behind the lighthouse in case conditions deteriorated. We haven't fished there much this year but we soon found out things haven't changed there much, on the long drive along it we came across a car and a van both parked side on across the main track, completely blocking the way and forcing us to drive across the tyre shredding rough stuff, why people can't think of others for a change and show a bit of consideration for others I 'll never know :uhuh:. Things got even worse when we arrived at the end and we found that someone had even taken a dump behind the lighthouse :nono:, surely it's only a matter of time before access to the breakwater is stopped completely if some people don't behave a bit more responsibly.

Back to the fishing and it was par for the course at the Breaky, we didn't get anything exciting but we had a decent bag of pollack, poor cod, pouting, a rock goby and a load of shore rockling, Steve did catch one that we first thought was a 3 beard but looking back we now think it was another shore? A positive ID would be welcome.

We finally called it a night at 12:30 and headed home, it had been an ok session but sadly it hadn't lived up to expectations :thumbdown.

Next on the agenda is a club comp on Sunday and a trip out of Aberdyfi on Mikatcha next Wednesday where hopefully I'll finally get my tope and with luck a greater weaver and a tub gurnard :thumbs:.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Not called global warming now Andy, as evidence proves otherwise. So in order to continue to tax us to death, they have re-named it "climate change".

·
Registered
980 Posts
as always a good report,
keep up the species hunt i will try and catch a dragonet fish in the straits and let you know if there are any by were my boat is moored. weather no two hours are the same global ,warming climite change call it what you like its ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

·
Specimen Hunter
3,295 Posts
well done for trying anyway, its really not been the nicest weather of late.

Not called global warming now Andy, as evidence proves otherwise. So in order to continue to tax us to death, they have re-named it "climate change".
i couldnt of put it better my self

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Shore rockling. 3bs have dark spots like a leopard.

Been discussing the patterns of recent summers with some meteorological mates - the pattern may well have changed to a situation where we get these very cloudy and/or wet July-Augusts on a regular basis whilst other parts of the world fry. All to do with the relationship between sea surface temperatures, the position of the jetstream and where blocking high pressures end up.

In short, what we are getting a lot of the time after the dry Springs-early Summers is, by mid-July, a stable block of high pressure in the Mid-Atlantic (a northward extension of the normal Azores High situation), which takes hot tropical air clockwise from the seas off the eastern USA right up north towards Iceland, where the lower layers are cooled, then brings it back as a chilly Nor-Westerly over increasingly warm seas to the western UK.

The warm sea with cool air over-running it from the NW gives off moisture and heat, and convection occurs in those lower layers generating clouds: however because the tropical air aloft still retains its warmth, this creates a temperature inversion beyond which the convection cannot rise, so the cloud spreads out beneath it to form a continuous deck - exactly like the way the top of a thundercloud spreads out to form a flat anvil-shape but at a much lower level in the atmosphere. Result: very cloudy warm conditions with bits & pieces of rain & drizzle.

Much of July and into early August were like that, but things have recently changed a bit and your more recent rough weather encounter is explained by the Azores high having recently shifted southward allowing Atlantic lows with their wind & heavier rain to track further south. Now, there is not that Icelandic cooling taking place. The warmer air is heading straight at us from the sub-tropics, so that we are now seeing some heavy and at times thundery rain as on Friday morning - and potentially tomorrow night into Monday for SW England along the Channel & northwards to the Wash. There may be some flooding and other storm-related issues in those areas as a consequence by Monday at some point, particularly as warmer air can carry significantly more moisture and once a trigger occurs that makes that moisture rain-out, severe rainfalls can and do occur. At the moment, Thursday looks problematic weatherwise, too, again due to the potential for windy conditions but especially excessive rainfall.

Sorry - a bit O/T there - weather is as fascinating to me as fishing so I like to keep up to date with it! And hopefully we might get an Indian Summer again this Autumn so I can go pollack-hunting up NW!

The gurnards seem to like it though!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers the replies all and fascinating about the weather patterns John :thumbs:.

The blue eyes were one of the things that first made me think 3 beard but looking at it now I'm definitely leaning more towards shore rockling.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I used to get mixed up with them Andy - especially as on some marks e.g. the Breakwater you get both plain and mottled shore rockling (males and females, I wonder?). But they are both that drab brown background colour. The three-beardeds are more orangey-looking. But both have much bigger mouths for the size of fish than the 5-bearded, which really does look like a pot-bellied slug!

Cheers - John

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,623 Posts
Well done Andy..........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts