World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rarely, if ever wear gloves when fishing in winter. However, with a couple of trips to Norway planned this winter and possible temperatures to -20 or lower, I need a decent pair of gloves.

I have a pair of neoprene gloves already which are fine in the UK, all the fingers fold back to make them fingerless but I don't think they will quite be up to the job of -20.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality gloves that will not hinder fishing in extreme cold?

Should I go for mittens that are quick and easy to pull on and off?

Any pointers from anglers experienced in fishing in extreme cold will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
I've fished in minus 15 on the River Vltava in Czech. Ski Gauntlets every time, but the most important bit of kit is a dry towel. You MUST put your hands away dry, else you will have issues. Will you be using cat poo as bait? If so, I recommend two pairs............

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
blue disposable nitrile gloves, about a tenner for 100 gloves. They keep the damp/bait from soaking into the skin and are quick to dry with a wipe of the towel. They give you the edge over the cold, especially the windchill, and are still ok to wear when tying knots. I chuck the neoprene ones on top when waiting for bites.
When fishing day/night/day/night for a week, your hands would end up cracked and sore, and therefore not comfy for yourself or the person you are performing the massage on.
they don't do pink ones though

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
What about considering a couple of peacock handwarmers?

If I decide to fish through this winter I'll be having a couple of them! One in each pocket of the floaty suit to keep the hands toasty :)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Not done any fishing in those sorts of temps. Did a lot of kayaking as a youngster, right through the year used to have to break the ice on some trips, and we used to use neoprene gloves with waterproof mits over the top.
Another trick was a little (not too much) vasoline rubbed into the hands.(although, what with crustys talk of massages wether you want that in your kit bag):unsure:lol.
Maybe Have a look in a army surplus shop they often have gloves used by troops in artic conditions.

·
Banned
67 Posts
try these The S-Boston pocket hand warmer is an excellent one touch pocket warmer. The S-Boston will give you heat up to 75C (167F) and it lasts for up to 25 hours! The hand warmer has easy lighting and extinguishing. There’s no need for a lighter, simply press the button for 5 seconds then it starts working! There is no need to replace the burner, the built in glass fibre burner ignites electrically using AAA batteries. No flame, no soot. The hand warmer is also economical – when you turn it off, the fuel tank is blocked, so there is no energy wasted. Comes in its own gift box.
•Sleek & thin profile
•60 x 18 x 100 mm compact design
•Constant warmth for up to 25 hours per fill
•Heat up to 75C (167F)
•Uses 2 AAA sized batteries for electrical ignition
•Economical ON/OFF feature saves fuel

·
Registered
399 Posts
try these The S-Boston pocket hand warmer is an excellent one touch pocket warmer. The S-Boston will give you heat up to 75C (167F) and it lasts for up to 25 hours! The hand warmer has easy lighting and extinguishing. There’s no need for a lighter, simply press the button for 5 seconds then it starts working! There is no need to replace the burner, the built in glass fibre burner ignites electrically using AAA batteries. No flame, no soot. The hand warmer is also economical – when you turn it off, the fuel tank is blocked, so there is no energy wasted. Comes in its own gift box.
•Sleek & thin profile
•60 x 18 x 100 mm compact design
•Constant warmth for up to 25 hours per fill
•Heat up to 75C (167F)
•Uses 2 AAA sized batteries for electrical ignition
•Economical ON/OFF feature saves fuel
Cheers UKVodoo, have been meaning to buy the Peacocks since last Winter, undecided now as these look very good.
Nick.

·
Registered
385 Posts
blue disposable nitrile gloves, about a tenner for 100 gloves. They keep the damp/bait from soaking into the skin and are quick to dry with a wipe of the towel. They give you the edge over the cold, especially the windchill, and are still ok to wear when tying knots. I chuck the neoprene ones on top when waiting for bites.
When fishing day/night/day/night for a week, your hands would end up cracked and sore, and therefore not comfy for yourself or the person you are performing the massage on.
they don't do pink ones though
i get these from work and they do the job nicely, they get a bit sweaty inside after a while but ya just change em and away ya go again.

p.s they do do them in pink ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts