World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these guys... can't frickin wait.. nice big tide, weather looking ok.. hopefully gonna learn something about catching big bass aswell..

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they had a feature in TSF almost a couple of years ago???

Specializing in live eel bassing in estuary. Good article if the same guys.

Have a good un mate and let us know how you get on??
yeh mate thats the blokes... its been cancelled though due to it blowing up a bit... hopefully gonna be going beginning of next week. tides are still looking good then so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Sandeel
With natural sand eels disappearing at the end of September, Bass fishing with this principal bait normally has to stop.
But now after many years of patient development, a sand eel farm enables us to fish on with live eels throughout the autumn and winter months.

Very interesting.
Any ideas where that is??
Cant be a "farm" in the true sence of the word??
apparently they have a few tanks (so as to reduce the risk of contamination, disease etc) dotted around the south hams.
and no i don't think they are farms in the true sense, more like very sophisticated holding tanks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
should be a cracking day out..

is it the erme, as you thought, or the avon? I'm trying to work it out from the photos, llooks more like avon i tink...

Be really interesting to hear how you got on, and share some tips with us too...

Ade

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
should be a cracking day out..

is it the erme, as you thought, or the avon? I'm trying to work it out from the photos, llooks more like avon i tink...

Be really interesting to hear how you got on, and share some tips with us too...

Ade
yeh i found em thanks to some peeps on here.. and it is the erme where their boat is moored. but i agree they are very similar looking.
i'll let you all know how it goes... hopefully monday or tuesday:sun:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I might start traveling further up the estuary a bit then....I fish down at Wonwell beach at the mouth of the erme..and i normally use live wrigglers too...bit slow this year, only small schoolies in the past...seee a lot of mullet about....

Hope you spill the beans on your return, or they get you to sign confidentiality agrrements..lol...

Ade..

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might start traveling further up the estuary a bit then....I fish down at Wonwell beach at the mouth of the erme..and i normally use live wrigglers too...bit slow this year, only small schoolies in the past...seee a lot of mullet about....

Hope you spill the beans on your return, or they get you to sign confidentiality agrrements..lol...

Ade..
as i said, the boats moored in the Erme but i think it's illegal to fish from a "powered" boat in the river Erme.
not to say you can't fish from the shore though!!
donno how it would fish up stream but theres only one way to find out mate.
and i aint signing nowt... i'll be singing like a canary when i get back (hopefully)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm not sure about the "powered boat" thing but i saw a posh looking boat similar to that one over the other side of the estuary mouth , near mothecombe, ancjored up and fishing just last weekend...

a lot of the photos on their site are definitely taken on the erme/wonwell....

I'm nearly as excited about your trip as you are archie...:nerd:

Ade

·
Registered
4 Posts
as i said, the boats moored in the Erme but i think it's illegal to fish from a "powered" boat in the river Erme.
not to say you can't fish from the shore though!!
donno how it would fish up stream but theres only one way to find out mate.
and i aint signing nowt... i'll be singing like a canary when i get back (hopefully)
hi guys it"s illegal to fish for bass in any river from a boat they are all bass nurserys areas if you do catch a bass you"ve got to put it back but you are ok to catch them in the mouth of the rivers and it"s also illegal to fish using live sandeel in bass nurserys

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
hi guys it"s illegal to fish for bass in any river from a boat they are all bass nurserys areas if you do catch a bass you"ve got to put it back but you are ok to catch them in the mouth of the rivers and it"s also illegal to fish using live sandeel in bass nurserys
thats what i thought... but is it illegal to use live sandies from the shore, or just from a boat??

ps all systems are go for high tide early on monday morning.. i'll report back asap

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
thats what i thought... but is it illegal to use live sandies from the shore, or just from a boat??

ps all systems are go for high tide early on monday morning.. i'll report back asap
as far as i know its just from boats where you can't use sandeel, live or frozen, if it falls within a nursery area.

·
Registered
940 Posts
From what I understand, it is only illegal to use sandeel from a boat within a Bass nursery area.

This has been extracted from http://ukbass.com/seabassandfishery/inshorerules.html

B.A.S.S said:
Fishing for bass from any vessel, as well as, fishing for any species of sea-fish using sand-eels (ammodytidae) as bait, is prohibited in 37 separate areas for all or part of the year. These areas, their extent and the seasonal duration of the prohibition are set out below. The legislation is Statutory Instrument 1999 No 75 The Bass (Specified Areas) (Prohibition of Fishing) (Variation) Order 1999).
However, B.A.S.S also recommend that shore anglers also adopt this policy:

B.A.S.S said:
The prohibition on bass fishing in nursery areas does not apply to fishing from the shore. However it is expected that shore anglers and their associations will respect the need for this prohibition and return to the sea any bass caught within nursery areas.
I would assume that the company in question are more than aware of this!

It would seem from their website that the majority of the offshore fishing involves the use of sandeel, while the inshore aspects are a combination of bait and fly?

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
as far as i know its just from boats where you can't use sandeel, live or frozen, if it falls within a nursery area.
I think your right there mate! Why shore anglers can still use it,is beyond me. Whats good or bad for one should be good or bad for another LOL

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
youv'e got it dead right mart,on the fowey you can use live/dead s/eel from the shore for bass and keep them but the e/a would like you to return them.Aj.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well.... i was up at the crack of dawn to be in kingston by 6.00 having picked up the father in law on the way... met with Nick and Bob (who were diamond geezers by the way) and made our way to the mooring.
a more picturesque setting/mooring i am yet to see.
made our way out to catch some launce and Joeys for bait (Nick is still waiting for his first delivery of sand eels) and motored back to the mouth of the estuery to catch some Bass.
tackle was all primo stuff (Greys and Diaiwa) and simplicity was the key!! mainline/bubble float/swivel/8' trace/treble hook.
well thats about it really because we did'nt catch any Bass.. Nick got one on and passed me his rod, it felt like a beauty as i played it for about a minute, then the blighter dived for the rocks and the line parted!! gutted does'nt sum up how i felt, surfice to say i swore profusely!!
went back to their place to see some of the eel holding tanks and to look at their converted chapel, which customers can stay in, if making a couple of days of it!
all in all, a pleasant, if rather expensive morning but hey ho, i learnt alot and will be trying out these tactics on the eastern banks.
oh and by the way they have (exclusive) rights to fish in the Erme which is a Bass nursery, with sand eels or anything else that takes their fancy ie fly fishing using their boat as a fishing platform. it happens to be the only privately owned in the country (fleet estate).
Also, strictly speaking , you should have a licence to fish from the shore as its private land, which you need to get from the fleet estate warden.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ooops i'd best start seeking out that warden when i'm down there...:whistling

Glad you had a good morning down there, it is beautiful, love it there dawn or dusk, or anytime really.....lovely place to dig lug too..

Shame you didn't land a lunker, but hopefully you gleaned some wisdom...

PM'd you anyway ;)

Ade

1 - 19 of 19 Posts