World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my long awaited success of last Saturday I couldn’t wait to get out again to try for more and bigger bass so when yesterday evening arrived I made sure I didn’t hang around and I was out of the door a good half an hour earlier than usual. Due to the forecast of Easterly winds my usual marks looked like they would be out of the question, a fact which was confirmed by a text from a fishing buddy Dan, cheers for that mate :thumbs:, so I decided to try another mark where I had heard of some nice bass being caught but I have never fished before. I was relieved to find I had made the right decision when I arrived to find calm seas with only a slightly rippled surface and a slight cloudyness to the water, very fishy I thought to myself :fishing:.

Now I’ve never had so much as a follow on it before so I don’t know why I always start with it but as usual the Frosty in 500g was first out of the bag and I proceeded to make my way along the coast fanning out casts and covering the water as I went. If a spot looked particularly fishy I gave it slightly longer but as this was my first time at the mark I wanted to see as much of it as I could and with this in mind I made steady progress. After half an hour and no interest in the Frosty it was time for a change and having heard reports of some nice fish taken on surface lures recently I decided to stay on top and to give the Chug bug in Tennessee Shad a go next. Another biteless half an hour after that high water was approaching and as I got further along the coast the cloudyness of the water increased slightly so remembering that Chartreuse lures had been picking up fish lately for some forum members I opted to go with the feed Shallow+ in Glow, hoping that it would stand out to the fish more.

A little while later as the tide began to ebb I reached a headland which would have been impassable over high on a big tide but thankfully last night’s smaller 8 meter tide meant I could wade around it easily and boy was I glad I did, once around this point the coast opened up to a wide rocky bay with larger boulders dotted here and there which would make ideal ambush points for hungry predators, the whole scene screamed BASS!! :yeah: Unfortunately though time was getting on by now and so I decided to go carry on another 100 meters or so to a larger patch of boulders before turning round and fishing my way back to the car, so swapping the Feed Shallow+ for a smaller 105mm version I carried on.

By the time I reached the boulders the tide was ebbing quite fast and I noticed that the slight swell which had built up was breaking over a patch of shallower rocks about 20 meters out with what looked like slightly deeper water in front of and beyond them so gingerly I waded out through the gulley in front and onto the slightly shallower rocks where I stood in knee deep water and began to fish again. The water was still very shallow and even though I was retrieving very slowly to minimise the depth to which my lure dived I could still feel the occasional tap as it touched the submerged rocks and I had only made 3 or 4 casts when suddenly another tap tap was followed by a spine tingling ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ as something obviously very hungry grabbed my lure and took off for the open sea :eek:hmy:.

The next 5 minutes or so I can only describe as possibly the most adrenalin charged 5 minutes of my life as the fish zoomed about in the rock strewn shallows, one minute it was a couple of meters in front of me then the next it was 20 meters away and then it was in front of me again, it seemed to know exactly where each and every rock was as it tried to take my line around most of them and more than once I thought I had lost it as it charged towards me creating loads of slack line but thankfully by reeling like a lunatic I was able to get back in contact with it, how a living creature could charge around in such shallow, obstacle filled water without bumping into something amazed me. Eventually though the finned torpedo tired and I was able to gain line before eventually she was beaten and wallowing in the water at my feet. This was now the moment of truth as I don’t possess a Boga grip and I didn’t want to risk lifting her by hand so I waded slowly back to shore with the rod held high, guiding her into the shallows where I was finally able to beach my prize. I know she wasn’t the biggest bass ever caught in North Wales but measuring 64cm long by 38cm around she was by far the biggest bass I have ever caught, weighing in at 6lb 14oz she beat my previous PB bass by nearly 3lb and my biggest lure caught bass by nearly 6lbs, I was absolutely buzzing :yahoo:.

Somehow the pictures don't do her justice but I didn’t want to keep her out of the water for too long so after a quick photo call she swam away back into the darkness.

Time was against me now so I got back to the fishing as quickly as possible, I then spent the next 20 minutes hopping from boulder to boulder and wading amongst the rocks trying to find a decent depth of water to fish my lure in but the tide was ebbing even faster now and I kept snagging the rocks virtually every cast. I didn’t want to risk losing my new favourite lure :laugh: so I switched to a Patchinko II in Sunsprat to keep above the snags but I didn't get any more interest so I decided to call it a night and to head back to the car. I still had a few casts on the way back but after the earlier excitement I didn't really care that I had no more interest. To be honest I'm still buzzing now and I'm so chuffed that I made the fateful decision to go the extra mile, well 100 meters to be more precise :clap2:.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Congratulations ,Andy,a well deserved fish.I knew you would hook a decent fish sooner rather than later with the effort you put in .One more notch up the learning curve LOL.Well done.

Edit You're going to need a bigger ruler !!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Big Bass on an Easterly too, brilliant nice one mate :thumbs: you definatly deserve that one - proves if you put the hours in the rewards are there - we thrashed the straits with plugs for 7 hours yesterday not a sniff though

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice one Andy. Well done mate. I must say that that's so weird how we've both been waiting so long for our record bass and we both caught one the other night on the same day, and I was also out last night and had another two as did you! Il try and upload a pic for you to see. I didn't have my scales to weigh it so maybe you can tell me what you reckon?? It was definitely a new PB for me :clap2:

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
See, it wasn't that difficult was it - just took some time.

So I've been calculating how long it'll take me to catch my first Bass on a plug!!

Re: Easterlies. Now we know - the fish stop feeding on the bottom and go up on the surface!!!!

Well done hope your lads are impressed - we are!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well done mate, really pleased for you after all the effort you have put in :thumbs:

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies and kind words :thumbs:.

Edit You're going to need a bigger ruler !!
:laugh: I was thinking that at the time Gary, I had the brainwave of using a piece of line then measuring it off on the ruler but I can do without going through that every time I catch a bass :uhuh::roll1:

Big Bass on an Easterly too, brilliant nice one mate :thumbs: you definatly deserve that one - proves if you put the hours in the rewards are there - we thrashed the straits with plugs for 7 hours yesterday not a sniff though
The Straits was my first option but after a text from Dan telling conditions weren't great I changed my mind at the last minute and boy was I glad I did :clap2:.

Nice one Andy. Well done mate. I must say that that's so weird how we've both been waiting so long for our record bass and we both caught one the other night on the same day, and I was also out last night and had another two as did you! Il try and upload a pic for you to see. I didn't have my scales to weigh it so maybe you can tell me what you reckon?? It was definitely a new PB for me :clap2:
Well done Gazza, glad to hear you're catching too :thumbs:.

There is a scale available, on the BASS website I think, of rough length to weight ratios but if you post the pic on here I'm sure someone could make a good guess at it's weight. Smalltownboy is particularly thorough in the field of bass weight extrapolation from photographic evidence :laugh:.

Thanks again all and roll on next Thursday :fishing:.

·
Registered
225 Posts
:clap3::clap3::clap3::notworthy:notworthy:clap3::clap3::clap3:
Well Done Andy!

To say you more than deserved that result, would be the understatement of the year!
A fantastic result!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
A beauty of a fish Andy and if anyone deserves it you do mate after all the hours and effort you put in. All I can say is that it's a shame it wasn't at the start of the season for you and not the end and is would have been a great start. I dont know if we will get anymore with this cold snap unless you venture down the Llyn which many do.
You must be well hooked on the lures now and next year I think I will be asking you for some tips. Again a big well done to you and here's to beating that PB next year and some early season luck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts