World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping to fish elsewhere last night but my dad was intent on going back to Goldcliffe after a blank on Sunday morning. Got there quite early around 2 and half hours before high and one other guy was already set up left of the steps, so we decided to fish to right near the corner. Must of timed it right, as soon as we had set up there came a steady stream of hopefuls with their rods which was nice to see along with their kids.
Fishing, i decided to have an experiment tonight. Fished two rods as usual, but clipped to my close in rod for the first time i attatched a home made feeder system and lobbed it out uptide about 40 yards (mashed rag/makkie and a bit of cuttlefish) thought i had nothing to lose. Baited the other rod at distance with big baits, squid/lug and left it there. Father was fishing approx 40yards downtide from me and straight away tap tap and codling of about 6 inches, he was well chuffed but as i explained i guess it must of been my feeder lol. Then on the feeder rig which was clipped to a wessex rig a tap and another little one. In the 4 hours the big baits at distance not a touch all night but the close in rods of mine and my dads were kept busy with a few knocks and ended up between us 7 codlings with the biggest at 11 inches which certainly made up for the blank on the sunday morning. All fish were returned safely for another day and hopefully a bit bigger and it was nice to see a good few fishing along the seawall. Just a quick question to anyone who uses sea feeders etc, just wondering how often do you change the bait in them etc? Every cast or longer?

·
Premium Member
38,489 Posts
Instead of mashed up bits try loading the feeder with a ground bait mixed with halibut oil which will lay dow a good scent trail, refill on each cast.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ken, i will give that a go. I take it that its easy to pick up halibut oil? Got pilchard oil in my box. Not really sure if that made the difference last night, but with the scent must help because of the colour of the water up here etc.

·
Premium Member
38,489 Posts
In the past I have used fine ground rusk ground bait soaked in either pilchard, halibut or any of the smelly oils on sale. Mix into a soft dough and when loaded into the feeder it will wash out slowly down stream, brilliant when boat fishing using a sliding rig attaching feeder to the lead clip so the scent washes down towards your bait. I have used a similar rig for shore fishing and it worked well for gilthead bream on North Channel, Bury Port.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new to this how do you use e feeder in sea fishing is it the same princip0le as coarse fishing?
Regards Pete

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ken, i used the wessex rig as the lead and feeder are above the last snood etc. Will try with with a running ledger next time and some other kind of mix, it's just that i don't bin any bait which is left other and thought i'd give it a go with the old worms etc.
Pete, i can't really give you any advice really just that i've read on this excellent site about others using them and thought why not! There is a section in the tackle discussions regarding their use and something in the diy tackle which i took a look at. Just wondering now if it's worth using down West in the clearer water? Got a caravan down near Tenby and do a fair bit of fishing around that area. Think i will take a trip to the local tackle shop regarding the mix ect as i have never been into coarse fishing.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If its just scent you are after just use a sponge inside the feeder and soak up the liquid mixture you are using before each cast. If its to be used with particles, mix your mashed up bait with plain white crumb (buy from your tackle shop quite cheap) and top up after each cast. Another tip you could try is, when you are using a feeder you really want to keep on feeding the same area. A simple trick if you are fishing using no more than a gentle lob with a fixed spool is to fix a mark in the distance if possible or try cast in the same direction. To make sure you are fishing the same distance after the first cast, is either to use the line clip (if the reel has one) or the simple elastic band over the spool. This will ensure you are fishing the same distance every time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts