World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
have been lucky to catch a few this yr all returned. was wondering if they r good to eat?
Great eating fish mate. lovely baked in the oven wrapped in foil with various herbs way better than bass thats my opinion:victory:

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
don't listen to anyone on here that says they taste like mud. they probably have never tried one. neither of i, so don't listen to me either.
but..... hugh fearnley whatshisface reckons they taste better than bass. when i catch one, it's in the bag.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Took one home for the Mrs last year, It was a pain to prepare all scales and slime. Baked it in foil and she said "it was delicious, much better than them spikey things (Bass) I brought home last time!"

Won't bother though next time, as I already said. To much hassel with the prep.

Fish only taste like mud if caught in muddy estuarys or harbours etc.. catch a Mullet of flounder on a clean surf beach and they are just fine.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Took one home for the Mrs last year, It was a pain to prepare all scales and slime. Baked it in foil and she said "it was delicious, much better than them spikey things (Bass) I brought home last time!"

Won't bother though next time, as I already said. To much hassel with the prep.

Fish only taste like mud if caught in muddy estuarys or harbours etc.. catch a Mullet of flounder on a clean surf beach and they are just fine.
i think (just an opinion) another misconception is that because a fish lives in mud, they taste like it. a pig lives in turd; it doesn't taste like a turd lol! dave, are you suggesting that bass prep is easy? because it takes me a while to get the scales off.:laugh:
i don't think it's right to judge people on whether thay take legal fish home for the table (not you, dave), regardless of whether someone thinks that certain species should be regarded as a "sport" fish. every fish we catch reacts in a way that shows they don't want to be pulled out of the water. so if they are all sport, we shouldn't eat any of them. and that, frankly, is a load of blocks.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Golden Gray Mullet are a Mediterranean fish; they come over to our shores to breed on the shallow surf beaches in the warm intertidal waters. They’re diet is more like the bass and flat fish we all love to eat, they eat worms, shrimps occasionally sand eels dislodged in the surf tables as well as the normal filtering agley etc , much the same as the thin-lipped mullet. So the GG’s probably taste fine, there’s no real issue with taking a few, but bear in mind these fish are here to breed... if you take them now, odds are your stopping it from making more GG’s. That being said, what a angler can take or what 100 anglers can take is nothing compared to the dent in the stock a well positioned gillnet will do. Which are becoming more and more common on Llangenith. Id assume a lot of the GG’s get discarded, as the netsmen are normally targeting bass, i’m not sure South Wales has much of a market for mullet, other than Chinese restaurants.

In contrast, Thick lipped mullet do actively filter mud, you get down to the west pier at low water and look over at the mullet on the harbour side (there are better places to see this where your only a few inches from the fish... but if I told you, id have to kill you!!) They pick up a load of mud, then filter out what they want from it. Obviously the ingest a lot of the mud they pick up. This mud can contain a lot of nasty’s which build up in the body of the mullet (heavy metals around working docks, oils/diesel, herbicides/pesticides from river run-off etc) so its obvious these fish will taste of mud, as the old saying goes... Rubbish in – Rubbish out!

Obviously if caught form a deep rock mark miles from rivers or working docks and mudflats then the mullet will not have fed on this mud and will have gone to grazing on the sea grass / sea weed.

In reference to the fighting quality’s... Thick Lips are the real bruisers! They will not stop and grow to the sizes which will really test your tackle. That being said the GG mullet in the surf will run really well on the correct tackle and have the same speed of turn as the thick lipped mullet so they too are a fantastic sports fish. Bass don’t really compare when it comes to fighting... I fish the same outfit for surf bass fishing as I do for the GG’s, the GG’s really do test your gear and will find any flaw and bust you off... especially if you get a double hook up.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
cows eat grass. they taste of.. well, beef. i could go on. if a mullet filters mud (they don't digest mud) that doesn't mean they will taste of the stuff. and people eat trout. to me, they are disgusting lol! but i don't call people idiots for eating them.
the cod i have caught (and whiting) have been cacking out mud by the shedloads. but they don't taste of it. i reckon this is an excuse by those who don't want us to eat fish.
and i don't care whether people think we should eat certain fish or not. i just like to give a counter-argument. but "shame on you" is a bit strong for an issue like this. it's not cruelty, racism etc. that might deserve one.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
My post is not meant to discourage anyone from taking GG mullet... or thick lips for that matter, I just wanted to give people an idea of the risk regarding heavy metals and other toxins that build up in fish in certain environments.

For example, my friends and family love bass, and I can get bass from a local mark very easily maybe 12 – 15 in a 3 hr period over dawn and 7 – 10 in the evening... but I will not take those fish because of the place where they live, and the rubbish that is in that water. From the banks, beaches etc I’ll take a few bass to keep people in fresh fish.

You argue the point that cow graze on grass and taste like beef... that is true, but what an animal eats has a bearing on the flavour of the meat produced by that animal. For example... Salt marsh lamb, Corn fed Chicken, Farmed Bass, Salmon, Trout and Bream (fed on fish meal pellets). All these taste differently to the same animal in a different environment due to the food they’re eating... so this supports the notion that what goes in has an effect on the flavour of the meat.

Your point regarding the digestion of mud can to be argued against by looking at Carp. Over recent year’s commercial effort in the UK have tried to rear carp for food fish. The way in which carp eat (very messy eaters) means they pick up a lot of sediment, as well as stones etc when they feed off the bottom. This mud/sediment passes through they’re digestive tract which results in the flesh tasting muddy, this is a fact, acknowledged by the people running these fish farms. To de-muddy the fish they must spend 2 weeks in a special spring water feed pool.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
My post is not meant to discourage anyone from taking GG mullet... or thick lips for that matter, I just wanted to give people an idea of the risk regarding heavy metals and other toxins that build up in fish in certain environments.

For example, my friends and family love bass, and I can get bass from a local mark very easily maybe 12 – 15 in a 3 hr period over dawn and 7 – 10 in the evening... but I will not take those fish because of the place where they live, and the rubbish that is in that water. From the banks, beaches etc I’ll take a few bass to keep people in fresh fish.

You argue the point that cow graze on grass and taste like beef... that is true, but what an animal eats has a bearing on the flavour of the meat produced by that animal. For example... Salt marsh lamb, Corn fed Chicken, Farmed Bass, Salmon, Trout and Bream (fed on fish meal pellets). All these taste differently to the same animal in a different environment due to the food they’re eating... so this supports the notion that what goes in has an effect on the flavour of the meat.

Your point regarding the digestion of mud can to be argued against by looking at Carp. Over recent year’s commercial effort in the UK have tried to rear carp for food fish. The way in which carp eat (very messy eaters) means they pick up a lot of sediment, as well as stones etc when they feed off the bottom. This mud/sediment passes through they’re digestive tract which results in the flesh tasting muddy, this is a fact, acknowledged by the people running these fish farms. To de-muddy the fish they must spend 2 weeks in a special spring water feed pool.
dean, i know you to be a intelligent fella and have all the time in the world for your opinions and stuff. you make a lot of sense. i had a feeling you'd mention salt lamb; i was thinking that when i was writing lol! but lamb actually digest the grass. so there's a huge difference; mullet don't take any nutrition from mud. ok, algae, but algae tastes lovely lol!
and about carp; fearnley-whatshisface cooked up some farmed carp for people who like their fish. guess what - they loved it and one guy said, "didn't taste muddy at all." so maybe that's because of the de-muddifying process lol!
and this stuff about fish from certain areas; that supposes that they live in the same waters throughout their lives. which i don't think is necessarily true.
just another opinion on the matter. it's good to talk lol!
take care

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
golden greys are top table fish, its always best to descale and clean the fish at the shoreline in clean salt water.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
golden greys are top table fish, its always best to descale and clean the fish at the shoreline in clean salt water.
that's what i do with all my fish. guts go off very quickly. scales are easier when the fish have just been killed.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Saying that they eat EVERYTHING they catch, but of all the mullet species they have over there the gg seems to be their favourite, never eaten it myself but I must say that when its cooked it looks nice.
Me I'm a "fried in batter" man myself, hence I like my cod, pollack, coalie, whiting, plaice, & MOST OF ALL dabs!:yeah:
Sauces, garlic, herbs etc dont do it for me, grilled in foil :nonono: a couple of fresh mackerel wrapped in foil & put on the barby are about as far as I will venture from the batter & frying pan!:nono:

·
Registered
601 Posts
this is a good debate lads, iv always thought that what things eat or environment they are from can effect how they taste.

but theres some strong arguments both ways.

im not getting involved cause i dont know enough. there are on this sites many fonts of knowledge all with valid points.

sorry for interrupting

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
cows eat grass. they taste of.. well, beef. i could go on. if a mullet filters mud (they don't digest mud) that doesn't mean they will taste of the stuff. and people eat trout. to me, they are disgusting lol! but i don't call people idiots for eating them.
the cod i have caught (and whiting) have been cacking out mud by the shedloads. but they don't taste of it. i reckon this is an excuse by those who don't want us to eat fish.
and i don't care whether people think we should eat certain fish or not. i just like to give a counter-argument. but "shame on you" is a bit strong for an issue like this. it's not cruelty, racism etc. that might deserve one.
Fact of life mate cows may eat grass and taste of beef, however fish living and feeding for any length of time in muddy water will taste earthy even a bass.

GG which spend their lives in the open sea taste very nice and the odd one for the plate is no real problem. Why not descales and clean on the beach rinsing in sea water?????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts