World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone reccomend a good 3 piece bass rod (Im tending toward a 2-4oz unless anyone can talk me into a 1-3ozer)

Will be used with a FS baitrunner & will be used mainly for bass

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
FIREFLY have a 13ft 2-4 oz bass rod for under £50.
I wanted something quite substantial that would manage 4ozs and a big bait. This rod does that job.
If you want a lighter rod perhaps you would prefer the Daiwa - but it's 3x the price.
The Firefly bass rod comes in a very heavy duty rod tube.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The Daiwa Powerbass casts 2-4oz plus baited rigs up to 100yds. Do a Google search and you'll find it for £99. If you're on a budget the Firefly will do the job but if you want quality go for the Powerbass. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
43 Posts
tell me more about the Firefly anyone ?

Who's used it and is it any good for both bait and spinning / plug fishing or too heavy?

It's either this or shimano nexave seabass for me - BUT which one ?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The Firefly 13' bass rod is the sort of rod best suited for chucking big baits into rock gullies or float fishing into kelp beds. I would class it as a light surf rod - certainly there are better choices for spinning.
Trouble with anything described as a 'BASS' rod is it means so many things to many anglers.
If you want to cast plugs all day I would look at something lighter than the Firefly. Do a search on this forum as this has been discussed many times - and there are plenty of budget choices that come well recommended.
I like the Firefly for a knock-about surf rod - and it casts 3-4 ozs very well.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Can't help on 3 piece rods but on casting weights I would go for the 2 to 4ozs plus bait and a totally separate 7 to 30grm spinning rod ( 1/4 to 1oz) as you might want to use plugs at some point. It's worth spending money on a good quality light spinning rod. It needs to be both strong and cast well. In my opinion there's far more scope for saving money on a bass rod.
Me I'm going for an anyfish anywhere universal for that sort of fishing rated at 2 to 5ozs with a moderate through action that locks nicely. I also have an aa surf same rating (much to basic instincts disgust :) ) - for longer range and other things. It's a light beach caster. Both are 2 piece rods.

Pass on shimano.

John

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The Shakespeare Salt Spin is a nice little 3 piece 1-3oz rated spinning/bass rod. Good Fuji guides and fittings are used and for the money (£35 cheapest) its a nice little rod. Can be used with heavier plugs and poppers say over 20g, but is also good with heavier spinners and spinning sandeel or jellies for pollack. It also makes a nice rod for macky spinning in the summer, float fishing, flattie bashing and light bass/ surf fishing. Have a look at one and i bet you cant fail to be impressed for the price, it is a very versatile piece of kit for very little money.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for not being clearer - this rods main purpose would be fishing a bait (worm / crab / live) - Ive already got a mike ladel mk2 for spinning & float fishing.

cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts