World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the South Wales Evening Post! revealing that Countryside Council for Wales has given MCS £40,000 to make proposals for MCZ's in Wales! Now when some of us went to the presentation by MCS in the SYSAC some time ago we were totally "underwhelmed" by their attitude to angling in these zones.
It was very much a case of "We will oppose it from the start, & you have to prove it wont do any harm", as the Chairman of SWWASAC commented in the article "Will we be financed equally to present our case?" methinks not!:nonono:
Time to start rattling the cage of the WAG who are prepared to allow these MCZs to be set up as an alternative to "doing the science" area by area, to see exactly WHAT needs protecting, as opposed to throwing a "Thou shalt not" blanket over the entire area & everything in it!:rtfm:

·
Registered
381 Posts
perhaps someone with better schooling than myself could draft a letter that can be downloaded and sent to every assembly member which would clog up the WAG mail bag.:boxing:

·
Premium Member
39,072 Posts
It is not just happening in Wales, I read a report on the east of England earlier this week where RSAs are being pushed to one side by MCS and other bodies.

Blocking up their email system may well p*8s them off but I feel it would just make them all the more determined to ignore us.

Ever since the conception of the marine bill oganisations like MCS have been constructing a case, they have put together a list of species which need protecting longer than your arm in areas all around the UK coast.

When I last looked the Welsh coast was completely overwhelmed with these proposals.

I don't know what the answer is but it will need to be a constructive effort if we are to win over some support.

Perhaps a well worded letter supported by several thousand signitures would be a good way to start, let them know that there are thousands of votes to be lost if they don't listen to our voice.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
In the South Wales Evening Post! revealing that Countryside Council for Wales has given MCS £40,000 to make proposals for MCZ's in Wales! Now when some of us went to the presentation by MCS in the SYSAC some time ago we were totally "underwhelmed" by their attitude to angling in these zones.
It was very much a case of "We will oppose it from the start, & you have to prove it wont do any harm", as the Chairman of SWWASAC commented in the article "Will we be financed equally to present our case?" methinks not!:nonono:
Time to start rattling the cage of the WAG who are prepared to allow these MCZs to be set up as an alternative to "doing the science" area by area, to see exactly WHAT needs protecting, as opposed to throwing a "Thou shalt not" blanket over the entire area & everything in it!:rtfm:
Could someone decode this for me please?

Si

·
Premium Member
39,072 Posts
I will do my best to decode.

This is the MCS, the Marine Conservation Society an internationally financed organisation supported by marine biologist and a raft of other extremely well qualified scientist in associated fields, such as ornithology (study of feathered birds :laugh:)

The Countryside Council for Wales is a qango set up by WAG to sort out rural and coastal environmental issues among other things. It is also a good back door for passing on funds to the likes of MCS.

If you go to the MCS site and run down the side panel links on the face of it they look a friendly bunch who have the welfare of the marine eco-system at heart and I dare say a large proportion of members do. However within the heart of MCS lies a culture which would stop all exploitation as they see it of the marine environment including anglers.

To do it they came up with a cunning plan involving the protection of threatened marine creatures and environments. They want to protect this list from a wide range of activities such as commercial over fishing, dredging, angling and even boats dropping anchor to stop their chains from damaging areas of sea grass.

Conservation has for the last decade been the in thing for politicians, it's the one place they can hang their hat where it is safe.

The general public also like to be seen as looking after the environment, which includes RSAs.

Now you can see just how clever the MCS are, we jump up and down over dredging and over fishing and even pollution of our beaches.

However we (RSAs) are regarded as polluters each and every one of us who losses a lead and some line, we are also digging up all the beaches for baits and in general helping to destroy the marine eco-system.

I hope that has decoded Vic's post, and I hope Vic is happy with what I have posted :laugh:

·
Registered
425 Posts
i agree the odd angler here & there taking fish to eat of a legal size is not going to affect fish stocks in any way, the problem is trawlers & dreger's off swansea rapeing the sea of all fish species & all sizes, anglers are more selective in what we take for the table, i have had many days on swanseas west pier, where i have blanked or only caught a plague of 4 in whiting, fishing off the south wales coast with trawlers & the use of draegers has to stop or in the future there will be no point in going fishing, unless you can jump on a boat & go 3 miles out

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i agree the odd angler here & there taking fish to eat of a legal size is not going to affect fish stocks in any way, the problem is trawlers & dreger's off swansea rapeing the sea of all fish species & all sizes, anglers are more selective in what we take for the table, i have had many days on swanseas west pier, where i have blanked or only caught a plague of 4 in whiting, fishing off the south wales coast with trawlers & the use of draegers has to stop or in the future there will be no point in going fishing, unless you can jump on a boat & go 3 miles out
Sorry but I have to dissagree with your comments on trawlers and dredgers, firstly the trawling fleet from Cardiff to Milford has shrunk hugely in size in comparison to what it was the bottom species have increased by this decrease in trawlers as this is the species in general they would catch. Dredgers take sand off the banks and yes they do disturb the sea bed but they do not take fish. Off topic I know but I have said for a long time that the antis will be out to get us we must stick together and fight them as best possible. The present government has said it wants to reduce the number of quangos I suggest we all send letters to the government asking for these quangos to be retired!

·
Premium Member
39,072 Posts
Go to this site and look at all the flags, the MCS are looking to convert as many of them as they can into NTZ (No Take Zones)

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could someone decode this for me please?

Si
Might be the first part of the code;):bleh: but if you are still struggling.
MCS Marine Conservation Society
MCZ Marine Conservation Zone
NTZ No Take Zone
WAG Welsh Assembly Government
CCW Countryside Council for Wales
WAG gives money to CCW to "look after the environment", CCW give £40,000 to MCS (a charity that "protects" the marine environment) they use that £40,000 to draw up MCZ's which they say should be NTZ's to protect everything that lives in it. In other words **** *** trawlers, anglers, divers, worm diggers & Uncle Tom Cobbley & all, get my drift now?;)

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
good to see people are starting to realise what may happen in the future.i think things are going to get interesting in the next year.
cheers rab

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Might be the first part of the code;):bleh: but if you are still struggling.
MCS Marine Conservation Society
MCZ Marine Conservation Zone
NTZ No Take Zone
WAG Welsh Assembly Government
CCW Countryside Council for Wales
WAG gives money to CCW to "look after the environment", CCW give £40,000 to MCS (a charity that "protects" the marine environment) they use that £40,000 to draw up MCZ's which they say should be NTZ's to protect everything that lives in it. In other words **** *** trawlers, anglers, divers, worm diggers & Uncle Tom Cobbley & all, get my drift now?;)
Thanks. It was the TLA's I was trying to work out :)

Si

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I will do my best to decode.

This is the MCS, the Marine Conservation Society an internationally financed organisation supported by marine biologist and a raft of other extremely well qualified scientist in associated fields, such as ornithology (study of feathered birds :laugh:)

The Countryside Council for Wales is a qango set up by WAG to sort out rural and coastal environmental issues among other things. It is also a good back door for passing on funds to the likes of MCS.

If you go to the MCS site and run down the side panel links on the face of it they look a friendly bunch who have the welfare of the marine eco-system at heart and I dare say a large proportion of members do. However within the heart of MCS lies a culture which would stop all exploitation as they see it of the marine environment including anglers.

To do it they came up with a cunning plan involving the protection of threatened marine creatures and environments. They want to protect this list from a wide range of activities such as commercial over fishing, dredging, angling and even boats dropping anchor to stop their chains from damaging areas of sea grass.

Conservation has for the last decade been the in thing for politicians, it's the one place they can hang their hat where it is safe.

The general public also like to be seen as looking after the environment, which includes RSAs.

Now you can see just how clever the MCS are, we jump up and down over dredging and over fishing and even pollution of our beaches.

However we (RSAs) are regarded as polluters each and every one of us who losses a lead and some line, we are also digging up all the beaches for baits and in general helping to destroy the marine eco-system.

I hope that has decoded Vic's post, and I hope Vic is happy with what I have posted :laugh:

Thanks for that. All those TLA's. :)

Si

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
My feelings have not changed since i replied to this thread http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243485&

If you are interested sWWASAC's details can be found here. http://www.swwasac.webs.com/

It's only a tenner to join and if yo join as a club the fee will cover your memebers for third party liability insurance for any mishaps whilst fishing ashore or in a boat anywhere in the world except the USA. I'm not sure how it works for individual members, ask the officials. Go to the meetings have your say. I'm sure they will do you a deal if you join this late in the year.

Im not sure of the other organizations contact details but look them up and join them.

Get yourself heard. As Ken has shown if the conservation groups get their way we can all look out, may as well sell our gear now.

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Wow, who could have imagined such a thing.......:eek:hmy:

·
Registered
62 Posts
thanks for the decoding guys i never even knew such organisations existed shurley they cant ban anglers cos shurley theres les anglers than 1000 years ago as we all have tescos now so theres not really a need to hunt (fish) and not all anglers keep what they catch ive only kept one fish of the few ive caught all others have been returned alive and flipping.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, who could have imagined such a thing.......:eek:hmy:
A few that listen, & a huge amount who take no notice, because the "few" are considered to be "angling politicians", "angling misrepresentatives" or downright "scaremongers".
Eventually you find out, that when you beat the drum loudly & often you give yourself a headache so what's the point, go with the flow & join the MCS seems a cool move, at least you will be on the winning side!
Why? because we haven't got a powerful enough angling voice, & why is that? because there are too many people on forums like this who attack the various angling representative body leaderships because they dont ask for THEIR personal opinion! Therefore because they aint putting forward the considered opinions of "we all know who" they are a bunch of tossers, divide & rule comes to mind but these people SAY they are anglers? When something like this comes up & they have spent the last 3 years attacking NFSA, AT & everybody else who tried to gather "bodies" for a voice now when we need a voice we have a membership of 2 men & a dog to fight our cause!:nonono:

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
A few that listen, & a huge amount who take no notice, because the "few" are considered to be "angling politicians", "angling misrepresentatives" or downright "scaremongers".
Eventually you find out, that when you beat the drum loudly & often you give yourself a headache so what's the point, go with the flow & join the MCS seems a cool move, at least you will be on the winning side!
Why? because we haven't got a powerful enough angling voice, & why is that? because there are too many people on forums like this who attack the various angling representative body leaderships because they dont ask for THEIR personal opinion! Therefore because they aint putting forward the considered opinions of "we all know who" they are a bunch of tossers, divide & rule comes to mind but these people SAY they are anglers? When something like this comes up & they have spent the last 3 years attacking NFSA, AT & everybody else who tried to gather "bodies" for a voice now when we need a voice we have a membership of 2 men & a dog to fight our cause!:nonono:
Golden rule at the races, any races.....make sure that you do your research and put your money on the right horse..........never ever back a donkey in a horse race.........:cool:

Do you honestly think that the reality of RSA fits well with real marine conservationists ..........:unsure:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts