World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found website, now a 'fav'. Yes, thinking of adding a 'good' big fixed spool to my Abu as a rough ground reel. I fish with 35lb braid, and 20lb snood in the Menai Straits and want to use same but with fixed spool as I find first pulls (i.e. before I have to put the rod down and pull for a break - I wrap the line around a wooden dowel to do this by the way!) compresses line on multiplier spool making next cast iffy. How does the Emcast cope in these situations? Does anyone else use a good F/S? I occasionally use a very cheap one which vibrates something cronic and has a slow retreive but is tougher on the potential break. What other reels do people use?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Have a look at the Shimano Biomaster. Simple, no-frills with a good spool and gearing. It's going to take one hell of a reel to make me change from these.

Rhod.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers! Good advice 'Rhod' I've just been on a website to look up the stats and particularly liked, "The reel has 3 ball bearings and a very fast oscillation. Each turn of the rotor retrieves 90cm - a full yard - of line." Anything that has the potential pull through kelp at speed is exactly what I'm looking for. Interestingly enough the Daiwa equivelants are about the same price (although seemingly with more 'frills'!!) Mind you, your description suggests it won't fall apart easily. Still looking and the list is growing. Cheers again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts