World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived braw and early at one of our usual arbroath haunts at stupid oclock (5am) due to commitments later in the day. Fished 4 hours of the flood and about 2 back down, not the tide i would have preferred but its fishing all the same. Was greeted by thick fog when i woke up and it stayed with as all day. Somehow i managed to get sunburnt through the fog as well?? It wasnt just misty with sunny spells, it was pretty thick stuff:hammer::hammer:

Anyway i had planned to bait fish on the bottom and spin the usual jellies. Changed my mind at the last moment and floated instead of spinning. As soon as the float hit the water the wrasse were on the baits. I managed 3 in quick succession. Just small fish but a decent scrap.

I was trying to juggle the baits rods at the same time and managed 2 small cod on lug and rag.

Back onto the float for a couple of wee coalies. The float didnt stop moving but not a heap of takes, probably small fish and i had a bit larger hooks on for the pollack i was hoping for.

F1F3R was around somewhere but was very quiet for some reason.:shutup:

Managed another little wrasse before a better take on the float. Braw fight and much heavier than the last fish had me thinking it was a pollack. Landed nicely by F1F3R (well we have to give him something to do:shutup:) About 2lb or 3lb i think.

The tide pushed up and forced us off the rocks onto another ledge. Tried a few chucks with the spinners and jellies but nothing taking. Luckily i managed a further 2 wrasse, with the last being quite a decent size.

Pretty much the quietest spell of the day, but pretty much the same old story for andy:laugh::shutup:.

The tide dropped and got back onto the first platform. Straight into 2 small coalies on the jellies. Best take of the day came soon after on an orange and black jelly. Monster bend in the rod and huge dives made this out to be a good fish. Had only managed to play it for 10 seconds or so before the bleedin snood snapped!! Maybe one of my best fish on the jellies so far!!

And that was it. Tried spinning for a while longer but with no luck.

Andy stayed on to try and catch something. Just as i was walking away he pulls out a cod. So i suppose thats 1 point.:laugh:

I finished up with 6 wrasse, 2 cod, 4 coalies and 1 pollack. More pics to follow and andys report.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
fine session martyboy
if the 2nd wrasse is a wee one wit like the big ones

i'll need to fit a trip down that way this week

·
Registered
60 Posts
I dont think i realise how lucky i am in the respect that i live in Arbroath and i could basically fish from my bedroom window!

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Great Fun Fish On The Float. Well Done.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
What colour jellies you using as I'm struggling at Ethie?.Still not had a Wrasse up here yet either,after wasting saturday on the Tay trout fishing ,I'll be back on the salty stuff this weekend.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The orange/black jellies are always a safe bet. Otherwise i like something with a bit of blue or silver in it. Other than 1 trip the pollack fishing for me has been pretty hard going so far. Some of the ideal conditions have thrown up only a single fish or nowt at all.

Yeah i wished i lived closer to arbroath as well. Mind you with all the hard walks involved i probably still wouldnt get out more often!!

Thats just a little wrasse malky. I got a better one later on but andy has the pics. He also got 1 just over 3 pound so he tells me:dry: He's just at home trying to change the date on the camera and stretching the picture. Hahaha, i actually think he's still down there with a couple of decent fish to show for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my friend and i are popping upto arbroath this weekend for a spot as st andrews isnt up to much at the min, where would you recommend we hit?:help:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
aye i was off too a bad start... took me ages too get a single bite.
but persevered even though marty kept pulling out the tiddlers .:) heh.

my excuse was ...im waiting on the bigger fish lol.

but they all count . well done on yer catch.
heres the pics i took off your fish,

the rest is what i managed, ended up descent enough catch with a Pb so cant complain too much. :thumbs:

my first codling which was more than welcome lol.

caught using rag.
then shortly after got a nice wrasse which weighed in at 3lb 3 oz. making this a PB for me previous best 3lb.

then a few wee coalfish. then another codling again on rag.

next in was another wrasse

then what i was after a braw pollack caught using mackerel strip.
never weighed as i had too return it quickly too water , and it swam away fine . guessing around the 5lb mark.

so i ended up happy enough with a few descent fish.

also seen a a few dolphins, massive and jumping clear out the water , and fairly close too.
and my 2nd ever Skua ( unsure which type ,but i know it was not the great skua , this was black and white mainly.) anyway it was chasing after a kittiwake.. trying too eat the poor wee bu66er. luckily it escaped and the skua gave up .

ps marty i wont mention the other Birdie lol..

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
A good days fishing lads well done..
Well done on the PB Andy, a nice wrasse that and braw pollack from both of you.
I was back to laying slabs today ( sare back noo.lol.. )
Andy mate i clean forgot i meant to give you some sandeels and some razors when you called in yesterday,,, sorry pal. you dont need them mind you...
Good report and pics guys :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah well andy you got it sorted in the end. 12 hr session!! Thats some shift. Nice pollack and wrasse. Need to try a bit more of this float fishing.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Great report guys and the pictures are cracking. Well done on the PB Andy.
I have only caught small wrasse and they put up a cracking fight so I would love to get into some of the ones you guys had.

Well done

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Findus: nae bother m8 . i will be after some bait soon as im intending another session soon , as ive not been out much lately, only mackie fishing,

so maybe pop in when im along your way. :thumbs:

Dougy:
aye they certainly put up a wee scrap. i didnt see the bites on the rod the tip on the Wr300 just bent right over lol.
getting one on the float rods will be great.

Marty:
floating was definately best choice on the day.. pity i left my reel in the car .. :wallbash: lol.
i did try float fishing briefly using the multi , but its no use . so had too just keep trying the bait.
i would have been as long as i could fishing, if it wasnt for my belly rumbling. :D .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts