World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for any ideas/recommendations/advice for a good all round or general beachcaster setup. Most of my sea fishing is unplanned sessions whilst working away, and can literally be anywhere in the country. It’s usually at very short notice too, so never much time to plan anything either.
Someone did give me a brand new Shakespeare Beta beachcaster, the 12’ 4-8oz version so I’ve got a starting point!
I’m looking to rig myself up a setup that should be suitable for pretty much anywhere I happen to be.
Any advice appreciated, cheers

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I’m looking for any ideas/recommendations/advice for a good all round or general beachcaster setup. Most of my sea fishing is unplanned sessions whilst working away, and can literally be anywhere in the country. It’s usually at very short notice too, so never much time to plan anything either.
Someone did give me a brand new Shakespeare Beta beachcaster, the 12’ 4-8oz version so I’ve got a starting point!
I’m looking to rig myself up a setup that should be suitable for pretty much anywhere I happen to be.
Any advice appreciated, cheers
Some sort of large fixed spool reel to go with the rod something like a Shimano Aerlex 10000 around £60.000 ,line if using mono 18lb BS with a 70lb shock leader or if you want braid 60lb BS straight through plus a finger stall for casting plus a tripod /sand spike.
Selection of leads from 4-6ozs two of each as you will have to carry this weight and after a session or two you will know what you feel comfortable casting with.
Selection of ready built flapper rigs with different hook sizes probably from size 2 hooks up to 2/0 hooks.
Plus the usual terminal tackle swivels ,beads,cutters,knife etc.
Loads more you will find out about the more you go but for a starter kit for the beach you this would get you fishing.
Ask any locals who are fishing where you are most will give good advice on rigs,best times and bait.
Pete

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some sort of large fixed spool reel to go with the rod something like a Shimano Aerlex 10000 around £60.000 ,line if using mono 18lb BS with a 70lb shock leader or if you want braid 60lb BS straight through plus a finger stall for casting plus a tripod /sand spike.
Selection of leads from 4-6ozs two of each as you will have to carry this weight and after a session or two you will know what you feel comfortable casting with.
Selection of ready built flapper rigs with different hook sizes probably from size 2 hooks up to 2/0 hooks.
Plus the usual terminal tackle swivels ,beads,cutters,knife etc.
Loads more you will find out about the more you go but for a starter kit for the beach you this would get you fishing.
Ask any locals who are fishing where you are most will give good advice on rigs,best times and bait.
Pete
Thanks Pete, that’s very helpful, appreciate it!

·
Registered
22,558 Posts
The Beta will be ok for spur of the moment trips:thumbsup: Its not a hardcore rough ground rod but if you are out for a chuck on cleanish ground it will catch fish.

Reactions: Joker82

·
Registered
490 Posts
Agree aerlex 10000 20lb mono n 70lb shock teamed with a 12-14ft standard rod I recommend shakey agility range 60 for reel 60 for rod can pick up enty seconds bit cheaper and ye won't go wrong

·
Registered
107 Posts
It doesn't really matter which make or model of rod it is as long as it matches your casting style and ability.

The stiffer the rod the better caster you need to be. This I know from experience.

In other words there's point having a rod that can cope with rough ground if you can't bend it enough to sling a lead more than 40 yards on a clean beach.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the shakedpeare agility set up with the 7000 sized fixed spool.
The rod is 4-8oz 14ft and extremely good quality for the price.
You can get the pair online for around 140 ish if you shop about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts