World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a plug for my holiday in mexico, Can any-one recommend one please ? There are so many bass busters, Rapalas, Chug bugs i wouldn't know where to start...I wan't one with a good casting weight 20-50G ? but also a mid or surface style one as the water is very shallow...Thanks for any replies in advance...LL :notworthy :clap3:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I've been experimenting with lures lately (in fresh water, in preparation for the summer) and just now my favourite is the rapala J13 (floating). It seems a great all rounder, when you crank it down you can fish very deep but it still has a lovely natural action when retrieved so slowly it is actually working on the surface. It also cast surprisingly well providing you use a suitable rod.

I also like the maria chase lures (BW and SW) they have a long slim profile and cast very well. When worked slowly and steadily they have quite a lazy action but using the rod you can bring the lure to life and they do look very good in the water, like a darting/struggling fish - I think these lures will really come to when fish are feeding on sandeels.

Until now my favourite surface lure was the storm chug bug, which has a nice action and good rattle but it has been surpassed (IMO) by the dexter easy walker. It is one of the most lifelike surface lures I've seen. Using a jerky retrieve and braid so no movement is lost you can make the lure duck, dive and jump (yes jump!) across the surface. Alternatively a slow, steady retrieve will see the lure lazily zig-zagging across the surface

If I could only use one plug of my collection it would definitely be the J13, simply because it can be used to search the depths or fished on the surface if need be, hope that helps :fish:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been experimenting with lures lately (in fresh water, in preparation for the summer) and just now my favourite is the rapala J13 (floating). It seems a great all rounder, when you crank it down you can fish very deep but it still has a lovely natural action when retrieved so slowly it is actually working on the surface. It also cast surprisingly well providing you use a suitable rod.

I also like the maria chase lures (BW and SW) they have a long slim profile and cast very well. When worked slowly and steadily they have quite a lazy action but using the rod you can bring the lure to life and they do look very good in the water, like a darting/struggling fish - I think these lures will really come to when fish are feeding on sandeels.

Until now my favourite surface lure was the storm chug bug, which has a nice action and good rattle but it has been surpassed (IMO) by the dexter easy walker. It is one of the most lifelike surface lures I've seen. Using a jerky retrieve and braid so no movement is lost you can make the lure duck, dive and jump (yes jump!) across the surface. Alternatively a slow, steady retrieve will see the lure lazily zig-zagging across the surface

If I could only use one plug of my collection it would definitely be the J13, simply because it can be used to search the depths or fished on the surface if need be, hope that helps :fish:
Thank-you mate much appreciated. J-13 is a big contender, I might get some cheaper bits thrown in too.....

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Thank-you mate much appreciated. J-13 is a big contender, I might get some cheaper bits thrown in too.....
If you are looking for something cheap that will get the job done dexter wedges are very hard to beat. They cast a long, long way and catch loads of fish. One lure I wouldn't go spinning without, they are extremely reliable fish catches :fishing1:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the rapala j13 thing there are so many colours....
For the sea in mexico what should i go for ? There are silvers + blue/Silver + black, Rainbow trout and perch....Help !!!! LL.....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are looking for something cheap that will get the job done dexter wedges are very hard to beat. They cast a long, long way and catch loads of fish. One lure I wouldn't go spinning without, they are extremely reliable fish catches :fishing1:
THANKS MATE I'LL CHECK THOSE OUT TOO TO TOP UP THE TACKLE BOX.....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered a j-13 blue...A bass buster, A chug bug.......And then i just had to get a couple of Dexter wedges......!! Had to be done....Thanks all...LL.:yahoo: :punk: :sun: :clap2: :clap3:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Depends on what you are going to catch.

I would definately have a good selection of spinners. Rapala Shadrap is one of the best for this type of fishing. It comes to the surface when you stop reeling and goes down when you reel in. Also try the jointed floating versions for trawling - these will go down about 1m. Surface poppers will also be productive.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depends on what you are going to catch.

I would definately have a good selection of spinners. Rapala Shadrap is one of the best for this type of fishing. It comes to the surface when you stop reeling and goes down when you reel in. Also try the jointed floating versions for trawling - these will go down about 1m. Surface poppers will also be productive.
cheers mate, Think i have enough on the way to play about with....Viva la mexico........

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I've noticed alot of places use a white body with a red head. Seen that colour used in programmes all over the world.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi mate,

My mate cascars has just come back from mexico and he did a spot of beach and boat fishing out there and caught doing both. Send him a PM and im sure he will help you.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeh mate i know Terry has just come back.....On his report i saw he wasn't that lucky on the lure...He caught using prawn and squid though.......Terrys partly why i started this thread....He said the fish were chasing but not biting.....
I am sorted know i have a selection of effective tried + tested plugs + lures coming.......:clap3:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hullo matey
In Playacar from the shore you'll be fishing for mostly barracuda, jacks, needlefish, maybe small kingfish and snapper (especially around rocks), and tarpon and ladyfish if you're near mangroves. From experience I'd say most of these, if they're going to go for lures, will prefer poppers and surface plugs to metal spinners.
Whatever you use, I'd make sure you have a reel that enables you to skim the lure at warp-speed. I don't think there's a reel around that can retrieve a popper too fast for any of these predators. Small (5000 and 8000) size Baitrunners are, IMHO, not quick enough.
I've fished the sandy beaches at Playacar and caught barracuda using a Pencil Popper and simple silver Tobies; my best catch (jacks of 27 and 22lb) were taken 30yds out on livebait, but using a spinning rod.
However I was in Cuba recently and had good fortune using a Rapala Skitterpop. The barracuda also went mad for a large Rapala X-Rap in mullet colours, although this lure works best about a foot down.
Ron Thompson have recently brought out a range of large (40 and 60g) and very large (200g) poppers in all colours including the red/white, which was very popular for tarpon and jacks, in Cuba. At £5 they're a bargain, although I'd upgrade the trebles if targetting big jacks, snapper or tarpon. Use wire traces at all times. Dusk into dark and first light are good, but the barracuda are active at any time of the day.
There's also bonefish in the shallows and I'd consider bringing some carp hooks and 1oz ball-weights to rig a running ledger. Crab, shrimp, squid or fish-strip will do for bait. A 4lb bonefish on a light spinning rod is one hell of an experience.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
PS
I realise that not every one will agree with this opinion but I never use braid for spinning in coral water any more. Yes - you do gain in sensitivity; but I've lost too many big fish using braid to trust it. One touch on rock, coral, or concrete and it goes ping. Its strength also means it puts a lot of extra strain on hooks, swivels, links, rings, and if you're not careful, they go ping too. Extra-tough 20lb mono, I'm afraid, does it for me now. I love braid for light trolling using an uptide rod to cushion the fight, but ain't gonna do no braid from the shore no more, no-no-no.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hullo matey
In Playacar from the shore you'll be fishing for mostly barracuda, jacks, needlefish, maybe small kingfish and snapper (especially around rocks), and tarpon and ladyfish if you're near mangroves. From experience I'd say most of these, if they're going to go for lures, will prefer poppers and surface plugs to metal spinners.
Whatever you use, I'd make sure you have a reel that enables you to skim the lure at warp-speed. I don't think there's a reel around that can retrieve a popper too fast for any of these predators. Small (5000 and 8000) size Baitrunners are, IMHO, not quick enough.
I've fished the sandy beaches at Playacar and caught barracuda using a Pencil Popper and simple silver Tobies; my best catch (jacks of 27 and 22lb) were taken 30yds out on livebait, but using a spinning rod.
However I was in Cuba recently and had good fortune using a Rapala Skitterpop. The barracuda also went mad for a large Rapala X-Rap in mullet colours, although this lure works best about a foot down.
Ron Thompson have recently brought out a range of large (40 and 60g) and very large (200g) poppers in all colours including the red/white, which was very popular for tarpon and jacks, in Cuba. At £5 they're a bargain, although I'd upgrade the trebles if targetting big jacks, snapper or tarpon. Use wire traces at all times. Dusk into dark and first light are good, but the barracuda are active at any time of the day.
There's also bonefish in the shallows and I'd consider bringing some carp hooks and 1oz ball-weights to rig a running ledger. Crab, shrimp, squid or fish-strip will do for bait. A 4lb bonefish on a light spinning rod is one hell of an experience.
Very good and much appreciated, I will blag the bait from the restaurant...I will get those 1 0z ball leads before i go.....Do you think a good ol 3 hook flapper will be ok to on a plain lead ??

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Nope .. I would unlearn most of the techniques you use from these shores. The fish you might run into are stronger, faster and potentially heavier, than anything in these waters, and size 2 aberdeens on a 15lb snood won't hold a big jack. I use strong carp hooks for everything up to size 2, Mustad Siluros (or Mustad big game hooks) for 2-6/0, and Owners for the really heavy stuff. I'd also take some 14s for livebait. Keep everything simple, take great care with knots and crimps, and go as heavy as possible; there's nothing sporting about a fish trailing 40 yards of 10lb line.
As I said, jacks of up to 40lb patrol the gutter less than 30 yards from the shore and if you hook one (I used small live threadfins, which live right on the very edge of the surf - literally around your feet) it's a fight you won't forget. If you lose one because of weak tackle ... well, you won't forget that either. I used a running ledger: 1oz ball weight, 20lb mainline, 10ft heavy spinning rod and Big Baitrunner, 4/0 Siluro and a 50lb trace of 49-strand wire - very flexible. The jacks hit the bait hard and run, then stop to turn the bait; that's when to strike.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
There's not too much to add to Mark's very comprehensive posts.

One of my favourite poppers though, especially for Jacks, that you can source in this country is the Yozuri Hydro Tiger. It's a bit more expensive, but it's through wired and uses upgraded hooks.

For Barracuda also tube lures are very effective - they're designed to imitate Needlefish. I'm not certain though whether you can obtain them in this country, although somewhere like Veals might be worth trying. Essentially they're a foot long length of latex rubber tubing, through rigged with braided cable - smallish barrel casting weight at the 'head' end and rigged with a couple of trebles.

Just to stress Mark's point though crank QUICKLY - you'll find it impossible to outwind those tropical speedsters and they expect their prey to move FAST. And don't stop winding if they strike and miss first time.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I agree with Jack there about the tube lures - they may well twist your line to hell though (mind Ive only experienced them on a boat where the slap on the water as the lure twists as the tubing is usually bent really seems to raise mid-sized barracuda) - great fished over a shallow reef

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mark, Panama & Spitfire thank-you kindly for the help i will use the advice, Awesome....LL...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope .. I would unlearn most of the techniques you use from these shores. The fish you might run into are stronger, faster and potentially heavier, than anything in these waters, and size 2 aberdeens on a 15lb snood won't hold a big jack. I use strong carp hooks for everything up to size 2, Mustad Siluros (or Mustad big game hooks) for 2-6/0, and Owners for the really heavy stuff. I'd also take some 14s for livebait. Keep everything simple, take great care with knots and crimps, and go as heavy as possible; there's nothing sporting about a fish trailing 40 yards of 10lb line.
As I said, jacks of up to 40lb patrol the gutter less than 30 yards from the shore and if you hook one (I used small live threadfins, which live right on the very edge of the surf - literally around your feet) it's a fight you won't forget. If you lose one because of weak tackle ... well, you won't forget that either. I used a running ledger: 1oz ball weight, 20lb mainline, 10ft heavy spinning rod and Big Baitrunner, 4/0 Siluro and a 50lb trace of 49-strand wire - very flexible. The jacks hit the bait hard and run, then stop to turn the bait; that's when to strike.
I will have a look around for some wire traces, I might just have to beef up with some 55lb mono rigs + heavier snood etc...LL.....

People spin using just 15LB mono straight through in mexico too from what i have seen..... LL.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts