World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone suggest a good quality main line 15-18lb break strain. not braid, for beach fishing, that does'nt twist up when you spool your reel. thanks matt :cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've use Daiwa Sensor and Berkley trilene both without problems, if the line is twisting up when you refill your reels then it may be down to how you are filling the reel rather than the line you're using, try filling the reel by having both the reel and spool of line both facing each other (dont have the line end on to the reel) then fill from the top of the spool to top of the reel.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I have been buying Ultima Black ice off of ebay recently, you can get it aroung £6.50 including P+P they are very hard wearing lines, thin and have little memory. The red ice is red (obviously) and the black ice is clear. It's up to you, but I usually try and fish with a clear line. It is available in 15 to around 40lb braking strains i think.
I would highly recormend it.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Hi Bud, I have used "Maxima" 18lbs for over 30 years now and it's still a good main line.
If you use a Fixed Spool reel look at the reel and see which direction the line is winding on, if it's turning anti-Clockwise hold the spool of line so it comes off in the same way.
If you are using a multy then do the same with your new spool of line. ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm using the black ice too, in 18lb . Good line hasn't let me down yet. if u keep an eye out on e-bay you can usually pick it up for less than a fiver, inc p+p. I had Five spools of the stuff not so long ago!

G

·
I generally use Ultima F1 18lb, diameter of 0.35mm. I use this line on both multipliers and fixed spool reels. Nice and smooth, doesnt kink and twist as much as other lines I have used!

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Thats what I've been using recently Phil seems ok so far....

On my uptider I bought some line form Veals it's called Varivas sport a nd the 20lb is .40mm. It seems a good quality line with good abrasion resistance.At the mo it is £8.50 a spool but i bought it on offer last summer.

G

·
Barrelreef said:
Thats what I've been using recently Phil seems ok so far....

On my uptider I bought some line form Veals it's called Varivas sport a nd the 20lb is .40mm. It seems a good quality line with good abrasion resistance.At the mo it is £8.50 a spool but i bought it on offer last summer.
I am happy with it, I have recently talked to a tournement caster/instructor and that is the line he uses as well Diawa torunament.

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Yeah If the tourny casters have faith in it's strengths then I suppose it is quite good,
but I tried one type of line on my fixed spool recently and in my opinion it was very poor, can't remember what make it was but it was called ghost line.

I used the 15lb b/s and found it broke too easily and had poor abrasion resistance.

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you all for the advice, im gonna go on ebay and see what they got. :D matt

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thought id add my bit,i know im new but i guess we all gotta start somewhere :eek:

I use the Red ice line,15lb gives you 0.35 dia so thin but not weak,prefer 18lb or 20lb for hound or Chesil as it gives you that little extra protection.But best of all it shows up really well with your headlamp at night,great advantage when the hounds are swimming you up and down the shoreline

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:) cheers dby, thanks for the imput. ive just bin on ebay but nothing on there at the mo. if anyones knows of any goin cheap?????????????????????? :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
for what its worth - my opinions on the lines i have tried

penn super surf - brilliant
daiwa tourni - hated it
ultima f1 - lovely line , smooth supple - but doesnt last , two beach trips and its knackered
red ice - DREADFUL used it once , stripped it off the reel , dumped the line and gave the rest of the spool to a fella i didnt like

·
Registered
168 Posts
also as a cheap but good line try stren! loads on ebay.
never judge a book by it's cover but that line is as good as some twice or three times the price.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i use red ice 15lb also, its no worse than any other line i have used and its really easy to see, knots well and is soft, used it a fair bit recently on surf beaches and have no complaints so far.

i got mine off ebay for about £4

tried the red ice shock leader and wasnt too impressed with that TBH

·
Registered
347 Posts
My personal favourite is Diawa Tournament but have recently tried Berkley Ironsilk and was very impressed with that. A bit expensive though

·
Registered
651 Posts
Jeeze..................... :eek:

This thread just goes to show you how different views we can all have on each line,and all opinions are totally justified on their own merrit

It can be a bit of a mine field :confused:

http://www.jims-mail-order.co.uk/fishing/monofilament-b.htm

There is some cheap line at Jims mail order...ultima etc,worth a look

(PS i hope live links are ok)

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its cool. thanks for all the ideas. i am going to go for the black ice and the penn line and give it a bash. many thanks matt :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts