World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Good result for "top cat 2" in the cod comp yesterday.
6th , 12th and 17th out of 300+ anglers. Long time since we've had three. Doubles in one day
Nice one Nipper that"s really good going for one boat.
We had 7th on my boat but only the one double.

headlight

·
Registered
243 Posts
excellent catch for you boys, we tried our best but just couldnt do the business, cracking day out though
tony

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Yes was a good day Paul but a little worrying that there were not many small fish about ?
Most fish seemed to be 6lb upwards from what I heard, certainly didn"t/haven"t heard of many say 1lb-3lb fish ?

headlight
I was saying the same Saturday too, I've gotten into using 2/0 - 4/0 hooks on a bolt/semi fixed running ledger with a fixed pennel - I find this sees me picking up a lot of smaller fish smaller baits - smaller hooks and all that. For instance last years cod comp I had 5 codling between 1 and 4lb - this years comp I only had one fish in that range, but I've been seeing the same trend in most of my trips. I'm not too confident about the cod stock in 3 - 4 years time, as the level of recruitment seems to be fairly low.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
I was saying the same Saturday too, I've gotten into using 2/0 - 4/0 hooks on a bolt/semi fixed running ledger with a fixed pennel - I find this sees me picking up a lot of smaller fish smaller baits - smaller hooks and all that. For instance last years cod comp I had 5 codling between 1 and 4lb - this years comp I only had one fish in that range, but I've been seeing the same trend in most of my trips. I'm not too confident about the cod stock in 3 - 4 years time, as the level of recruitment seems to be fairly low.
Maybe my double squid & 6-8 big worms on a 6/0 pennel is putting the small fish off :whistling

headlight

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.