World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished there from around ten last night untill around 3:15 am.

I had good thoughts about a nice big bass coming up for me so stuck a mack head out and refeshed it for another abut an hour later,no joy there on that rod.

On the other rod i had a small bream soon after the bait was in the water(rag)
Two more followed as the night went on...slowly and then a bass which was around 25cms.

All popped back into get a bit bigger for another day to be caught.

The weed wasnt too bad,only had to remove some about 3-4 times and it was the spaghetti type that came off easily.

I saw some blokes and a young lad to my left catching a few bits and thought i saw something good get reeled in.
As they were leaving i was kindly given some of their leftover bait so i asked how they did.

A beautiful bass id say around 6-7lb was in a bag ready to be taken home caught on a mack chunk.

Typical, I wasnt very far away from then using the same bait!!!!

Grrrrr next time :doh:

Was a nice evening to be out,no wind and quite warm,ill be back there soon.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
next time you go out load up your crab and then you may get your bass
Strange but crab just does not seem as good as Mackerel/squid for large bass off Sussex beaches I fish. OK Mackie/squid is easier to get hold of and used more but I've given crab a good go over he last few years and only had them up to 4lb. It can certainly outfish the squid/mackie for these smaller fish (esp off the reefs at low tide) but I'd always plump for squid/mackie when targetting a biggie.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I agree with Judge keep your crab baits for the smaller fish or hounds, all my Bass have come to either Squid or Mackerel baits.

Andy

P.s Roger got any Crabs??

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
i think phill will be happy with a 4 lb bass
Didn't mean to give the impression that a 4lb bass is small fish, it's a beauty of course but that's my best on crab with most in the 1-2.5lb region. Of course a couple of 2lb bass is still a very nice session but these fish will also take squid/mackie just as well off the cleaner shingle beaches (like Shoreham) close in at night.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Strange but crab just does not seem as good as Mackerel/squid for large bass off Sussex beaches I fish. OK Mackie/squid is easier to get hold of and used more but I've given crab a good go over he last few years and only had them up to 4lb. It can certainly outfish the squid/mackie for these smaller fish (esp off the reefs at low tide) but I'd always plump for squid/mackie when targetting a biggie.
I would have to agree, with the exception of the spring fish, where crab rocks!!

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
you seem to be out of crab a lot lately!!!,maybe you need to put
some more traps down.....:uhuh::uhuh::uhuh::uhuh:
funny you saying that i have got 200 more to stick some were it has been a hard year for crab what with the hound.s showing at ferring everyone and there gran are looking for them and when you do get to do them they are on the small side as you found out

G

·
funny you saying that i have got 200 more to stick some were it has been a hard year for crab what with the hound.s showing at ferring everyone and there gran are looking for them and when you do get to do them they are on the small side as you found out
hi roger,
if you put anymore traps in the river,you will be in danger
of sending the water well over the high tide line!!!!:bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roger you are right.a 4lber would do me just fine.
Obviously id like a double figure one to take my bai too.
Thanks for all the replies with info etc.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
That 6lber I had the other night had a gut full of 1-1.5cm what looked like Edible Crabs and one tiny well digested fish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts