World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I`m looking for a good shock leader as my 1000 yd spool of 60lb Maxima Marine Green is sadly just about finished.:(

I need something which will stand power casting so don`t want anything stretchy like Sakuma etc.,

I would also preferably like to buy a big spool.

Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Rich

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Greased Weasel but only in shock leader type spools. It ties small knots and is virtually indestructible. I would be very interested to know if a power caster can break it. It's a sad fact that all of the lines I know of with high breaking strains don't actually give it.

John

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
ive snapped the 60 lb lots off times power flex is better and use nothing below 70 lb for casting 150

·
Registered
279 Posts
breaking strain is also dependent on knot used best not for any shockleader is the uni knot as this will not put any strain on the line.have used this knot to tie rigs for catching bull sharks in the florida keys so i know it works.would also agree with Ajohn greased weasel is what i use for my shockleader and find it very good for small knots.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I've found that all 60/70 lb lines I've tested come out at about 45lbs including greased weasel - it's actually one of the better ones. Shame Drennan just sold his name and not his quality standards. Oddly 45lbs it's about what sea dangler reckoned was needed for power casting with fishing rods. I cant do it but would have thought that anybody who can cast over 240yds needs to watch out what ever they buy.

Maxima I've bought in higher breaking strains isn't anything like it used to be. I would expect over 100% and no trouble with knots, not 60 to 70%

My guess on the best bet in bulk would be an igfa line. These may be well made. Daiwa tapered leaders should be good too. Think they are actually rated at over 100lbs. Probably actually give 70 or so.

John

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
One other thought and that's penn senator super tough boat. The 30 I bought gave 45. It's available in 50 and 80 too and in 300 or 1000 mtr spools

Question for Garry though. The line I bought is fairly clear. The adds say the line is now a copolymer and I've seen the described as floro white ! :eek: Is this a good as the professional lines on the US site which effectively states that the lines will always be well over the stated breaking strain?

John

·
Registered
477 Posts
One other thought and that's penn senator super tough boat. The 30 I bought gave 45. It's available in 50 and 80 too and in 300 or 1000 mtr spools

Question for Garry though. The line I bought is fairly clear. The adds say the line is now a copolymer and I've seen the described as floro white ! :eek: Is this a good as the professional lines on the US site which effectively states that the lines will always be well over the stated breaking strain?

John
Thanks for the recommendation!
The Seantor is a copolymer, but its colour is fluo white (i.e. sort of opaque clear colour - HIGHLY technical!!)
Senator is made to break at no less than its stated lb breaking strain.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
greased weasel , tried most but found it excellent even feels tough and really slippy ,goes through your rod rings like the proverbial hot knife
give at 20 or 45 if your mains only 15 who cares it wont get that during a smooth cast

·
Registered
126 Posts
try greased weasel its the dogs even if the spool is a bit small

·
Registered
7,863 Posts

John
That's really interesting, John!

I've had a few slightly iffy batches of the Challenge 50lb stuff, last year. Worth flagging up now the mackerel season is upon us, although the current lot is holding its own no prob at all.

It was my fault I thought, as when wanging feathers a long way all afternoon the leader-knot is worth retying now & then, and I was lazy and didn't.

However, on each occasion snap-offs occurred, and none were dangerous, it was the leader-knot pranging a ring on its way out: weird thing was it was the leader close to the knot that broke & not the mainline of 18lb or so. Feathers & leader head seawards, never to return....

I wonder if some of these thicker mono leaders get a bit brittle through over-use??

Cheers - John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts