World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. do anyone have a good venue to fish? we tryed Dungeness,Denge Marsh, Admarail pier Dover(very snaggy) coast at Hythe. Can you HELP!!! please :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Pedro the Fisherman .
How you doing, thank-you for your reply. now is there a charge to get on the pier at Deal?? do you know if anythink is being cought of of the pier??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Roadie,

There is a charge to get on the pier, it's about 2.00 per rod, IIRC, plus you'll need to pay another couple of quid in parking.

Had heard there's been doggies, smoothies and the odd ray, plus the odd Bass. Not sure apart from that, I haven't personally fished it since March.

If you do decide to fish it and you don't like snags, then I suggest you stick to the top deck, best between first and third shelter IMO. The bottom deck fishes the best, in general, but if you thought Admiralty was snaggy :eek:

Whereabouts did you go on the Admiralty. Apart from the very first section after the stairs, I've never found it that bad for tackle losses, so long as you can hold out in the tide.

Cheers,
JB.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I beleive that the seabed around Deal Pier was cleared by a dredger a few months ago - has this not improved the snagging problem? Haven't fished there for a few months myself but know that Doggies and some small bass have been caught.
The cafe on the end is a must if the fishing is slack!

·
Registered
29 Posts
baldiboy8 said:
I beleive that the seabed around Deal Pier was cleared by a dredger a few months ago - has this not improved the snagging
Not so as you'd notice, baldi... it did improve it a bit, but it doesn't take long for people to start leaving a ton of junk out there again, I'm afraid. It's better, but still very snaggy IMO.

Cheers,
JB.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know where I find any web-sites on making up diffrent traces for coast fishing and boat fishing,I looked but can't find ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
John-Boy - Interesting! I avoided the peir because of the snagging and had hoped that it would have improved- never mind :-(
Fished at Kingsdown last week - low tide until high - 1 dog fish and an eel!
Never sure wether to beleive the reports put in the Angling Times etc!
Any opinions??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oneoneonehI John- boy.
hows it going your end. Heard to day there are loads of doggs of Deal at moment. We r doing the folkestone pier this sunday. stating at low tide then fish catch the high tide.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Roadie/Baldi,

Couldn't really tell you for sure about Deal Pier, as I say, haven't fished there for a while, same as you heard it was doggies, etc...

Nope, I never believe the reports in the press either.. LOL.. better off reading the forums.

I can tell you I fished at Dengemarsh last Friday - had 1 Bass of about 1.5lbs. Not very nice with wind in face.

Fished between Deal and Sandwich at "10th green" on Saturday, had 4 smoothies, one dog and some pouting. All the Smoothies were on crab, but not bad for daylight. All 1-1.5lb though. Not massive.

Fished Hythe Sunday - rubbish - just pouting and whiting (small).

Fished Samphire Hoe on Monday morning, got a Bass about 1.5 (again), a couple of Mackerel (that was all I wanted for tea), and several Wrasse which were great on a carp rod, and a Pouting too.

Going to have a go at Reculver tomorrow morning over low water - see what's happening there.

Best of luck on Folkestone Pier - never fished it myself - I'll have to give it a go one day.

Cheers,
JB.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, now I have fished from Deal Pier, as I went there Saturday.

So here's the current form:

Personally, I had a good day, arriving just after low water, I was immediately greeted by a nice slack line bite, which turned out to be a smoothie of about 4lbs (a new pb for me), followed by innumerable pouting, and 3 Bass (2/1.5 and 1lb). All returned.

Great days fishing, recommend it, but do take some crab if you can. I had all of my decent fish on crab, and I didn't see anyone without crab getting much else, apart from some doggies at 3rd shelter on the top.

As for the snags - fishing at 100-ish yards from the 1919 corner, i didn't loose a single set of gear, or even get hooked up once, and that included both ebb and flood tide. So I'd recommend it, despite the horror stories. Those dropping in closer were loosing gear though, it's the 20-50 yard range that seems to be the worst.

Cheers,
JB.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the report John Boy - did you go to Reculver at all? I live 5 mins away from there and so would be interested in reports/tips for fishing there. Have tened to fish down the beach to the right of the caravan park on the Margate side of the Towers and only really had a few whiting.
I expect I will now give Deal Pier a go as well - I'll keep you posted!
Out of interest - do you get yopur own crabs or buy them?
Cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Baldi,

Yes, I started off at Reculver, but after about a totally fruitless hour, I just felt I wasn't going to catch anything, and I fancied a bit of company for once, so I just packed up and headed for Deal Pier. LOL.

It's a shame I didn't stick it out really, the idea of going there was to try and get a Ray, as I understand that Reculver is one of the hotspots for Rays, although I too, have only had whiting from there in the past!! As it happens, when I arrived at Deal Pier, it seems there had been an 11lb thornback caught from the corner I was fishing an hour or two before I arrived.. Doh!

I've been told the Margate side of the towers is the place to fish, but the other side looks promising too, if a little snaggy.... :eek:

I'm sure I'll give it another crack soon, though...

Oh, and no, I'm afraid I don't collect my own peelers - I bought them from Maidstone Angling Centre. I have collected them in the past from Herne Bay, but never really enjoyed getting my arm under a groyne and grubbing around anyway! What a pussy!! :p

Cheers,
JB.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts