World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard the mention of the beach at Gorad a few times on here.

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to get to it and how best to fish it?

Cheers

Nicknack:) :) :)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
The only Gorad I know well is the Gorad Goch (Red Fishtrap) which is an island in the Swellies about half a mile from the A55 road bridge into Anglesey. Its NOT a 'beach' but a seaweedy/rocky mark best fished three hours down and two up. Possibility of Bass and also the usual suspects (dogs, codling (small generally) Wrasse etc. The mark , as well as featuring a bay sheltered from the main current by an inshore island has a long feature called the Wal Ddu (Black wall) Fish this at either end but use rotten bottom rigs or a sliding ledger. Great on the late ebb as little current but watch out as the tide flows in particularly a big 30' spring! Crab (best) and rag do well as well as fish baits (which Dogs love) Take a spinning/plugging rod as Bass (and a little mackie the last two years) shoal up after sand eels and whitebait - watch the diving Terns. In fact use your spinning rod and freeline your bait close in - great sport and if you snag, you will only lose a hook! Fished like this for 40 years which is why I can't cast for toffee now! There is also a chance for Sea trout in late Summer evenings - use a VERY small spoon (it seems!) Fished there all my life (now 65) but still to catch one, deliberately! Generally fish close, the water's deep enough. IF you decide to do some searching for crab PLEASE TURN EVERY ROCK YOU TURN OVER BACK THE WAY IT WAS!! Someone has been ruining parts of the shore by very selfish and ignorant behaviour - got to preserve crab hiding places and share with others!

Gorad means fish trap and essentially is a medaeival construction particularly the Wall which still stands at 8' and absolutely horizontal - looking at it as top emerges uniformly out of the water is a joy! Don't try to climb the main wall as you can fish the base from either end in a lot more comfort. Even this great piece of ancient builing has been vandalised in recent years by a boat I think which may have got stuck shoreward of it and couldn't get through the 'net' opening which was a feature (perfect right angle masonary creating a gap through which you could watch Mullet skulking through as the tide rose!! Yes they were OCCASIONALLY caught but a team of netters put paid to this slow growing species some years ago. (The fish went to Chinese restaurants in Bangor!!) I've seen a few since but much smaller. Perhaps if any that are caught were released the species would become worth fishing for again!

Access via National Trust footpath from layby off the Llanfair/Menai Bridge road 300 yds from the bridge. This mark used to be a fool-proof place to catch a bass (I was that fool!) in the past but recent years have seen a decline. By the way if you read about the history of the island (owned and run by the monastery which used to be at Bangor Cathedral) you will find that Herring were the dominant species!! Well, perhaps due to the cleaner water in the Straits, Herring are again showing but as far as I know, only at the Beaumaris end of the Straits (ask Malcom at Gallows Point about them) The island has been privately owned for years now and is available for holiday let, but I havn't found the place where it's advertised yet!!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
There is also the Gorad near Bangor, all that reamins of that is a few stumps poking out of the mud.
The one above is alot better all round.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Someone posted a super picture last year of the one that was on the Clwyd at Rhyl at the turn of the century (1900's) - who are you ? .. please put it on here - think it was on the forum based in Menai . .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated!!

Hoping to do a bit of plugging around that area this weekend. Still looking for that elusive first bass-----you never know??

Cheers

Nicknack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts