World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, im new to the forum and sea fishing.

I went to day :fishing1:, not the best weather. but i had the bait de-frosted so i thought what the heck. only done 2 hours as it started to thunder and lightening. didn't catch any thing today, apart from 4 crabs.(got to practice my cast) going back tomorrow.

Where is the best spot around the river/harbour/pier and bait? i was using mack and squid near the lifeboat. any other tips for a beginner would be very helpful.

Will keep you posted

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I don't think that you can say any one spot is greatly different from any other at this time of year Patrick.

The main thing I'd suggest is to think about trying different baits. Pop into Gorleston Tackle and have a word with Jason or Derek, get some Peeler Crab and a few Ragworm (or Lug) and I think you may fare a little better although it is unlikely to be hectic.

You may pick up a few Dogfish on your Mackerel and Squid offerings and maybe a Bass on the Squid, but your chances will be improved by getting a few Peeler & Worms, though the bait robbing activities of Prawns & Crabs can be a pain at times

The spot you fished by the old Lifeboat station is pretty good, maybe a session in the 'bend' in front of the coastguard station, or along the straight from the rivermouth might be worth a go. I'm told that the seaward end of the pier and along the wall toward the shelters is silting-up a bit though that might turn up a few flatties and the odd Bass along with a possibility of a Dogfish or two, but I'd suggest it's not going to be terrifically exciting at this time of year.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Welcome PK. I used to dabble along there a fair bit but more winter time when we were blown off the beaches. It can be really good fishing, I hope you do well and keep us posted. The OC knows it very well as does Dabs, he might drop you a tip or two in time.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hi Patrick,
I am local to Gorleston and have fished it for many years. Not wishing to be condescending as you may be a top angler but i will try and outline a few things which if the fish are there and feeding will improve your catch rate.
1) Know the species that run through the area and at what state of tide they normally show.
2) Make your mind up what you are going to target and then use the appropriate traces and baits.
3)The Gorleston area does have hot spots but each is for a specific fish.
4) My bait for this time of year would always include lugworm and occaisionally peeler crab

Fish for this time of year are (in order of likelihood) Eels, flounders, pouting, small codling, dogfish, whiting, dabs, soles and eelpouts.
1) Ok top spot for me has got to be around the end of the pier where decent bass and codling can be caught plus a few dabs and doggies. Fish about 10 yard to 30 yards with big baits lug and squid or straight lug well off the bottom on big hooks. Tide runs hard and last 2 hours of a neap tide is beast on flood or ebb. Be warned it is a very snaggy area. I tend to fish facing South east. Long casting can also produce decent bags of dogies and codling.
2) For best chance of actually catching a variety of fish is the start of the bend in the harbour between the two white posts. I fish one rod dropping down by the wall literally a rod length out with a single 1/0 hook and worm bait about a foot off the bottom. (Keeps the crabs at bay most times) Codling and bass are the target be warned the bites can be ferocious at times and almost pull your rod in. there are a few snags so use anything as a weight with a rotten bottom. a second rod i put out about 5-6 rod lengths and occaisionally in the middle of the river with a 2 hook flapper size 1 blue aberdeen hooks baited with lug on top and mackeral or squid on bottom. Doggies, whiting and flatties main quarry. Peeler crab can be a killer bait but tends to attract a lot more eels. All of the flood tide fishes as the tide swirls around here making it fishable even in poor conditions. Fish are still caught here on the ebb but as a personal preference I prefer the flood.
3) Lifeboat shed (To the right of green tank) This is extremely snaggy but i did land my pb bass over 6lb from here earlier this year. Again a single hook 3/0 blue aberdeen fished with a 3 foot trailer about 5 foot above the lead again about 3 or 4 rod lengths out. Worm baits, cocktails or peeler again the best baits. Again be careful as the fish can easily pull your rod in.
4)Lastly seaward side of the pier which is deeper the nearer the end of the pier you get. It fishes about the same during flood or ebb but always better while the tide is running hard. I never advise anyone to fish this, although fish are caught there from time to time, I find a majority are at distance and you would need a good 120 yard plus to reach the sand bar where codling, flounders and dabs and whiting are caught. A few bass from time to time are caught closer in but are not common.
It is always advisable to take a drop net with you as its almost impossible to land a decent size fish without one.
Just as a foot note this is a good relaxing place to fish but a lot of people blank because they expect the fish to be in the middle of the river whereas most of them (when they are there ) feed litterally under the rod tip.
Hope this helps you and will be looking for your reports
Dabslayer

·
The Bush Kangaroo
2,807 Posts
Hi Patrick,
I am local to Gorleston and have fished it for many years. Not wishing to be condescending as you may be a top angler but i will try and outline a few things which if the fish are there and feeding will improve your catch rate.
1) Know the species that run through the area and at what state of tide they normally show.
2) Make your mind up what you are going to target and then use the appropriate traces and baits.
3)The Gorleston area does have hot spots but each is for a specific fish.
4) My bait for this time of year would always include lugworm and occaisionally peeler crab

Fish for this time of year are (in order of likelihood) Eels, flounders, pouting, small codling, dogfish, whiting, dabs, soles and eelpouts.
1) Ok top spot for me has got to be around the end of the pier where decent bass and codling can be caught plus a few dabs and doggies. Fish about 10 yard to 30 yards with big baits lug and squid or straight lug well off the bottom on big hooks. Tide runs hard and last 2 hours of a neap tide is beast on flood or ebb. Be warned it is a very snaggy area. I tend to fish facing South east. Long casting can also produce decent bags of dogies and codling.
2) For best chance of actually catching a variety of fish is the start of the bend in the harbour between the two white posts. I fish one rod dropping down by the wall literally a rod length out with a single 1/0 hook and worm bait about a foot off the bottom. (Keeps the crabs at bay most times) Codling and bass are the target be warned the bites can be ferocious at times and almost pull your rod in. there are a few snags so use anything as a weight with a rotten bottom. a second rod i put out about 5-6 rod lengths and occaisionally in the middle of the river with a 2 hook flapper size 1 blue aberdeen hooks baited with lug on top and mackeral or squid on bottom. Doggies, whiting and flatties main quarry. Peeler crab can be a killer bait but tends to attract a lot more eels. All of the flood tide fishes as the tide swirls around here making it fishable even in poor conditions. Fish are still caught here on the ebb but as a personal preference I prefer the flood.
3) Lifeboat shed (To the right of green tank) This is extremely snaggy but i did land my pb bass over 6lb from here earlier this year. Again a single hook 3/0 blue aberdeen fished with a 3 foot trailer about 5 foot above the lead again about 3 or 4 rod lengths out. Worm baits, cocktails or peeler again the best baits. Again be careful as the fish can easily pull your rod in.
4)Lastly seaward side of the pier which is deeper the nearer the end of the pier you get. It fishes about the same during flood or ebb but always better while the tide is running hard. I never advise anyone to fish this, although fish are caught there from time to time, I find a majority are at distance and you would need a good 120 yard plus to reach the sand bar where codling, flounders and dabs and whiting are caught. A few bass from time to time are caught closer in but are not common.
It is always advisable to take a drop net with you as its almost impossible to land a decent size fish without one.
Just as a foot note this is a good relaxing place to fish but a lot of people blank because they expect the fish to be in the middle of the river whereas most of them (when they are there ) feed litterally under the rod tip.
Hope this helps you and will be looking for your reports
Dabslayer
now that is what this forum is all about nice 1 dab

1 - 5 of 5 Posts