World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice on Gorleston pier or river as I can not walk to far any advice. PLEASE as I don't know where to to go close to the car other than alburgh so any advice greatly appreciated .thank you

·
Registered
215 Posts
The prom, north of the pier in southwold is easy to access, you can park the car within 20 yards normally!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply I think I know where you mean near the beach huts. Much caught there would you know? Thanks again

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I am looking for advice on Gorleston pier or river as I can not walk to far any advice. PLEASE as I don't know where to to go close to the car other than alburgh so any advice greatly appreciated .thank you
I used to run an annual specimen match on Gorleston pier and wrote quite a lengthy and reasonably detailed piece about it on here a couple of years ago. Sorry I cant remember the thread title, but may be a search on the words Gorleston Specimen Match might turn it up.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
FOUND IT, it was an autumn posting a few years ago, sadly the photos don't come forward with the quote, but I hope this helps:

For several years I ran a roving Specimen Cup match on 'Gorleston Pier' with the fishing area boundary from the Lifeboat Station in the river, along the wall and round the top, down the seaward side as far as the little breakwater arm on the Gorleston Beach side. That event was almost always won by someone fishing in the river, with good sized Bass and Codling always winning whilst others had good numbers of Whiting, Dabs, occasional Flounder etc.

With bigger tides the river is harder to fish and you may be 'weeded off 'on the ebb in particular. If I was going to choose a spot down there solely on the likelihood of getting a bigger fish I would always choose the river on a neap or, up to mid range tide and I would fish the flood during darkness.

The seaward side, especially along the wooden board section, will produce Whiting and Dabs along with the possibility of a Codling whilst the point is pretty snaggy. I first fished the pier as a lad along with my late father & an uncle around about 1960 and several times a year pretty well ever since. In my experience, the whole of the seaward side has shallowed up considerably since the building of the outer harbour altered the lateral tidal flow.

Currently the area seems 'alive' with Whiting, which is pretty well the norm at this time of year and most anglers targeting them would do well to call at Northgate Fish, now located in the Old White Swan pub as you come into Yarmouth off the A47, and get some very fresh Herring. Much cheaper than Lug or Ragworm and will take Whiting & Dabs all day long when they are feeding. If you are really lucky you may get one of these rare Codling on Blow Lugworm or Blacks, but they really cannot be relied on over the last couple of years.

Fish a two-hook 'flapper' rig baited with Herring or Lug & Herring and I'll be very surprised if you don't catch lots of Whiting and a few Dabs, but the hunt for a Codling will be long & slow unless you are very lucky. I hope that you succeed

Sorry that they're not good shots, but the pictures below show the view along the river wall toward the point, the car park you referred to is the area behind that fence and the other shot looks upriver towards Great Yarmouth. The final shot shows a porpoise surfacing just of the seaward side wall while we were fishing one spring morning a few years ago.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for reply I think I know where you mean near the beach huts. Much caught there would you know? Thanks again
that’s the place! Plenty of bass along side the rock groynes, a few sole showing Over night, last time I fished there I had dogfish and whiting, dabs and pouting come winter as well I expect,
Shotley marina today had a few bass being caught and it’s literally fish out of the back of your car if you want! Plenty of crabs though

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FOUND IT, it was an autumn posting a few years ago, sadly the photos don't come forward with the quote, but I hope this helps:
Thanks alot for that Old Codja very very interesting I will have to give it a go sometime soon and let ya know how I get on This week hopefully

1 - 7 of 7 Posts