World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Just bought myself a used 525 mag and im rearing to get out and give it a bash.....2 probs though !:g:

1. Never used a multiplier before.

- How best to load line ?
- Best shockleader knot or is it same as with f/s ?
- To start do i want the lever on fast / slow ?
- Free spool for casting, retrieve for reeling em in ? yeah ?

2. Would like to clean the reel up a bit, any advice on taking it apart and cleaning it ? Diagrams on the web, best cleaning method etc !

Any advice would be great:secret:, ive been sea fishing for 3 years with f/s reels and really rate them but fancied a change.

Cheers for the help !

Ewan

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hey folks,

Just bought myself a used 525 mag and im rearing to get out and give it a bash.....2 probs though !:g:

1. Never used a multiplier before.

- How best to load line ?
- Best shockleader knot or is it same as with f/s ?
- To start do i want the lever on fast / slow ?
- Free spool for casting, retrieve for reeling em in ? yeah ?

2. Would like to clean the reel up a bit, any advice on taking it apart and cleaning it ? Diagrams on the web, best cleaning method etc !

Any advice would be great:secret:, ive been sea fishing for 3 years with f/s reels and really rate them but fancied a change.

Cheers for the help !

Ewan
Hi Ewan,

Visit this link for general advice on tuning and setting up a 525 Mag:

http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/reel_tuning.html

The leader knot is the same whatever type of reel you're using. After you've properly tuned the reel I'd recommend you set the mag slider fully to the 'Slow' position initially. Keep backing off the mags one step at a time before each cast until you feel it becoming too lively, then move back a step and there is your optimum setting. Choose average fishing conditions for basic setting up.

The slider ought to end up somewhere near the middle of the range which will allow you to make adjustements to suit different conditions. If you're casting into a head wind, say, and/or need a heavier lead then you can add more braking power. Conversely, you can decrease the mag setting a little in the opposite case. If you find you need the brakes either set almost fully to either end of the range then you need to use either thicker oil and/or a lower line level to slow it down or thinner oil to speed it up (which is unlikely to be the case).

When you're used to the reel you can reduce braking power mid cast for optimum distance if you wish.

As for more thorough maintainance, you will need an exploded diagram for the reel in order to strip it further than described in the above link. You need to use lighter fuel to clean off old grease and to flush old oil out of bearings. Use Red Rocket Fuel to re-oil the bearings. Only grease the drive gears; a light coat of reel oil will do for all other moving parts. However, it might be better to send it to a Penn Service Centre if you think it really needs a thorough overhaul.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Ewan,

The leader knot is the same whatever type of reel you're using. After you've properly tuned the reel I'd recommend you set the mag slider fully to the 'Slow' position initially. Keep backing off the mags one step at a time before each cast until you feel it becoming too lively, then move back a step and there is your optimum setting. Choose average fishing conditions for basic setting up.

The slider ought to end up somewhere near the middle of the range which will allow you to make adjustements to suit different conditions. If you're casting into a head wind, say, and/or need a heavier lead then you can add more braking power. Conversely, you can decrease the mag setting a little in the opposite case. If you find you need the brakes either set almost fully to either end of the range then you need to use either thicker oil and/or a lower line level to slow it down or thinner oil to speed it up (which is unlikely to be the case).

When you're used to the reel you can reduce braking power mid cast for optimum distance if you wish.

As for more thorough maintainance, you will need an exploded diagram for the reel in order to strip it further than described in the above link. You need to use lighter fuel to clean off old grease and to flush old oil out of bearings. Use Red Rocket Fuel to re-oil the bearings. Only grease the drive gears; a light coat of reel oil will do for all other moving parts. However, it might be better to send it to a Penn Service Centre if you think it really needs a thorough overhaul.

Cheers,

John
Ewan,
Thanks for asking the original question........

John,
Thanks for the detailed answer its helped me out no end,just got a 525mag myself..

Paul..

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Hi Ewan,

Cheers,

John
Just like to say that this advice is spot on. :clap3::clap3:

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
Just like to say that this advice is spot on. :clap3::clap3:
or you could just get a slosh and not have to do anything to it for the next five years:):)

·
Registered
747 Posts
only one more thing to add bluejt excellent comments. is line lay. i bought myself a berkley spooling station from veals fantastic bit of kit to get yourself started with multipliers. it comes with a line stripper aswell cost me £24. good luck with your new reel campbellewan. i find them awesome to cast with alot will disagree i know but i am biased to them. got 2 super mag extras and a super mag myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts