World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woo hoo, caught my first ever Bass today. was fishing Belan Fort using crab I collected yesterday. the excitement got to me and I grabbed it soon as it hit the beach...ive just found out that they have a plethora of spikes which embedded my hand = idiot !!

fished from 2hrs after low which was good, with-in an hour the weeds made it un-fishable? (is that even a word), so retreated to the pub to celebrate with a cold cider. It weighed in at 1.7lb which I know may be small compared to what you guys catch, but its a start?

I would like to thank everyone here for their patients and tips as well as my local fishing shop, if it was any bigger i would invite you all over for supper.

Regards
Sai

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
well done on your first bass,
good fresh bait .right state of tide.gives you your best chance,
and yes there are some good bass in the straits.........

·
Banned
229 Posts
recipe ..clean scale ect ,,chop finley some garlic ginger chilie ,and spring onion coriander or a pinch of 5 spice ,and a lime stuff into the fish wrap in tin foil,bake in oven for 10 to 15 mins untill flesh is cooked but still moist serve with steamed veg bok choi ect thats a chinese green leaf you could stir fry veg of choice , get some garlic and ginger and chop fine sizzle in hot oil add some soy and pinch of sugar bring to boil and pour oil over fish so fish sizzles ..bon appetite,,
did i say i dated a chef once she was amazing should of tasted her bagladesh style dog fish curry , as long as you dont batter bass your ok
and well bloody done on the bass

·
Registered
203 Posts
Woo hoo, caught my first ever Bass today. was fishing Belan Fort using crab I collected yesterday. the excitement got to me and I grabbed it soon as it hit the beach...ive just found out that they have a plethora of spikes which embedded my hand = idiot !!

fished from 2hrs after low which was good, with-in an hour the weeds made it un-fishable? (is that even a word), so retreated to the pub to celebrate with a cold cider. It weighed in at 1.7lb which I know may be small compared to what you guys catch, but its a start?

I would like to thank everyone here for their patients and tips as well as my local fishing shop, if it was any bigger i would invite you all over for supper.

Regards
Sai
Welocme to the mad world of Bassing........never forgot my first keeper.........well done and enjoy.

Great tips on cooking it too...........would love that dog fish curry one :ph34r:

Boansy

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
welcom to the forum,well done on your first bass,thats it now,you will want bigger now!!:wiggle: its very addictive!! more sleepless nights on the way i think!!! bravo!!:fish::fish:.regards.oly..

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,623 Posts
Well done sai. hope you enjoyed. no stopping you now.

·
Banned
229 Posts
dog fish curry (apna style) thats indian for home style
take 4 cooking onions (seems alot but they make the base)
a large clove of garlic
good chunk of ginger
and desired chillie i use 3 birds eye ( hotest chillie ever)
garam masala (mix of spices i dare say asda ect stock it we get it from corner shop the "east end" variety)
haldey a yellow powder spice think we call it tumeric
fresh corriander dont buy the powderd its vile
can tomatoes
salt
veg stock cube
mango chutney teaspoon will do ( this is optional but it brings out the flavours a bit)
ok here we go
take the ginger ,garlic,onion and mince them together i use a pestle and mortar but my desi friends use a liquidiser
shallow fry in some olive oil and a little butter so they are just cooked through dont burn,add the chopped chillie, and large tablespoon of garam masala,and a teaspoon ov the haldie
keep stiring do not burn you will get a bitter taste gthis is just to cook out the spices,
when cooked through add the can of tomatoes mango chutney and simmer ,
stock ,take some hot water a pint not cold it will lower the heat in the pan ,and add the veg stock cube pour this into the mix and reduce and salt to taste
ok here is the thing that makes it like your local take away
take it off the heat ,and blend it not so its still course but not like a soup place back on the heat reduce slightly till its thickish i guess thats the right wording ,,take chunks of dog fish and place in the mixture till cooked add the corriander and serve ,job done it should be same consistancy as curry house ,,and yes no curry powder is used ,,the garam masala and haldy do that job for a twist use coconut milk instead of the stock ,you can adjust all the flavours and spices to taste ,indians dont have a set recipe they are all passed down so your choice ,you can use the sauce for chiken ect,,,,
now if you want chappaties i can tell you how
ps if you cannot get garam masala pm me i will send it to you for stamp and packet price

·
Banned
229 Posts
oh skinning the doggy ,,,,,nail head to a fence , slice through the fins ,then cut the skin round the neck and in a straight line down the back pliers take skin by the neck and pull same for other side job done ,to fillet lie on side feel where cartilage is and run knife along same other side for curry just chunks will do

·
Registered
55 Posts
so retreated to the pub to celebrate with a cold cider. It weighed in at 1.7lb

Regards
Sai
That's a fair sized drink:yeah:

It's a remembered Day mate.
Never ferget me first 'schoolie'
Abergele beach, must av been 1837, it seems so long ago
With intensive fishing and research
Caught 3 more since!!!