World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a cheeky evening session down at the mark we first fished on Saturday to see if we could find any of the better fish we felt were present. After the lad had landed a couple of schoolies on his Picoleau (rigged Texas style), I hooked into something much better on the Patchinko. It raced towards me, and I just about managed to keep a tight line. As it turned away again it shook it's head and was off. I found one of the barbs on the treble bent out at 45 degrees, so new hooks on that lure tomorrow. I could have cried, and was still 2-0 down on the night. Unperturbed, the patchinko came good and bought me back to 2-2 with a couple of hard fighting smaller fish. The last laugh was with the boy though - a beauty on his picoleau hooked just 10 yards out that weighed 3lbs. Looked bigger due to its length (54cm), but gave him a 3-2 victory. Lucky for me he doesn't gloat too much as he doesn't fancy walking home! :g:

Attachments

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Well done Griff, your lads doing well with the lures at the moment, you've got to get him a whacker for his birthday now, Take care,, Marc..:thumbs:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cheers, Marc - don't I just know it, especially when I keep dropping fish. Spoke to Mr Fish today, though. The postman will be bringing some birthday goodies to put a smile on the lads face - that's all I can say in case he reads this thread!

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Cheers, Marc - don't I just know it, especially when I keep dropping fish. Spoke to Mr Fish today, though. The postman will be bringing some birthday goodies to put a smile on the lads face - that's all I can say in case he reads this thread!
Nice one, i bet his face will be a picture,,:victory:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well done to you both Tim, great to see the fishing taking off over with you. Got my week in Cardiganshire starting on the 21st so hopefully you will be good enough to leave a few for me.:thumbs:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well done Griff, it's school holidays at the moment isn't it. Does your son want to make some money guiding. I am off next week and could do with a fish or two?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice one Griff, lovely looking fish there, well done to your son. Unlucky on the one that got away.
Cheers, Joe. It's taken until August to find some fish (July was a washout) but hopefully we can get into some now, and I can at least be current for Weymouth! I don't mind him catching more than me as long as I get a few for myself. Pics not up to your standard I am afraid as we were busy beating a retreat across the rocks as the tide came up.

Was that tonight? I was getting smashed by waves up here
-actually started raining too.
Yep - Tuesday evening. Blue skies and light Westerlies down in Pembrokeshire. Raining today though.

Well done to you both Tim, great to see the fishing taking off over with you. Got my week in Cardiganshire starting on the 21st so hopefully you will be good enough to leave a few for me.:thumbs:
Cheers, Andrew. PM me when you are coming over and I'll see if we can get together for a session or two. Warming up for Weymouth, eh? We were actually down south nearer Tenby last night as fish have been a bit scarce in our usual patch.

Well done Griff, it's school holidays at the moment isn't it. Does your son want to make some money guiding. I am off next week and could do with a fish or two?
Well, give it a few seasons and I reckon it's possibility! He did it all himself last night with no intervention from Dad - selected lure, location and angled the big fish beautifully as it went like stink! How's the fishing up your end?

·
Registered
447 Posts
That is a great story! I have taken my lad fishing many times. Unfortunately it has got to the point where catching anything by any means is hard work and he is gradually losing interest. I have not seen one garfish this year! And mackerel are few and far between. The rods will be going to Brixham in a weeks time so hopefully i can rekindle his interest. Float fishing in the harbour should catch something. No better way to motivate him than beating your dad, the supposed expert!!!!
(And no I don't consider myself an expert!!!!)

Excellent.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well done to you both (i bet your lad was buzzing with excitement) :laugh:. I dont own a patchinko (yet), but are the hooks to fine in the wire in your opinion. :unsure: What colour did you use.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's sort of a translucent yellow as opposed the yellow back - works well though. I know others swear by the darker colours, but I like lures with some yellow/charteuse. The hooks are made of a softer chromed wire that I didn't like the look of from the outset. As I have only just started catching though I hadn't had a chance to test it out. I'm not saying other lures wouldn't have worked last night (as my son proved!) but it's what I had on when the fishing switched on, and I was loathe to change it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Griff,

Haven't been out for a few weeks, as i said i will be off work next week. I have a day guiding in New Quay on Monday (praying for good weather) and going to Lundy on a boat on Wednesday. But other than that i will have a little tour around wales in the car and try and find some new marks.

Cheers

Hywel

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hywel,

Not sure about next week yet (I've been out four of the last 5 days!) but always worth dropping me a PM if you are out and about and want some company. I assume you are going out with Sea Bass Safaris from New Quay? Should be good and I bet you learn tons. Make sure you post us a report!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Cardigan Bay on the whole. Have been as far south as Fishguard. Lots of it is only accessible by boats and mountain goats though! To be honest, the whole coastline from Cardigan Bay right around to the South Pembs coast just looks fishy, but where do you start? I don't think there are many dedicated lure fishermen over here - I rarely see any but swap notes with a few here on WSF. Seem to be more around the Swansea/Gower area I think, and some good guys up in North Wales. Are you going on the boat with the guide?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Weather and water clarity permitting you should do well and will certainly be well looked after. Good luck and have a great week off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi griff, that looks like wisemans bridge on the left hand side. Is it?
If you walk from wisemans bridge beach towards coppet hall/saundersfoot heading towards the tunnels, there's a rock just off the old tram lines, that i've fished many a time on lures, and caught some cracking bass.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts