World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pumped some wednesday and i am hoping to use them tomorrow night they look ok at the moment i havent changed the water on them yet and it is a bit dark coloured now, should i just leave them till i use them or change the water soon? Also do you have to use sea water?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I normally change mine daily but make sure youre water is round about the same temp I normally keep my lug and water in bait fridge together

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I keep a 2 litre carton of sea water in the fridge for a week before changing. Was wondering how long you can store it before it goes off.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I keep a 2 litre carton of sea water in the fridge for a week before changing. Was wondering how long you can store it before it goes off.
As Rockhopper said, change it daily.
Didn't realise salt water could go off.
Do you keep the container sealed Findus ?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
As Rockhopper said, change it daily.
Didn't realise salt water could go off.
Do you keep the container sealed Findus ?
Hello again dave...
Yes mate, i keep the container sealed. The reason i asked was i left one for a few weeks once by mistake, and when i opened it the smell was a bit dodgy. could have been the milk carton though.
Anyway i never used it just in case, but would like to know if you could keep saltwater in storage(say 5 or 6 cartons)to save making many trips to the beach.

By the way the milk carton was well and truly washed out and rinsed with fresh saltwater before filling up.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I wouldn't have left it that long Findus.
But you're like me, no excuse for not having a fresh supply in the fridge, living as close to the water's edge as we do.
Maybe a couple of days max before chucking it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
kept salt water for months in a sealed container it doesnt take any harm,if the waters going coloured you should change it findus.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
i have had salt water in a cool box for months on end and when i come to put worms in it they dont complain!

Salt water wont go off
as long as its kept indoors and out of sun light

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I don't think seawater (or bottled water come to that!) has an expiry date; on bottled water a date is put on 'cos the bottlers have to, but since when has water expired?

philtherod

·
Registered
49 Posts
Seawater can 'go off'. Bacteria and other microscopic organisms along with suspended solids in the water will create a biological oxygen demand and can make the water go anoxic if it is kept sealed for a length of time. This time period decreases the warmer the water is. Even water that is not kept sealed can have toxic substances produced by micro organisms.

Mind you I haven't had any problems so it's not worth worrying about. Just don't collect your water from near sewage outfalls, etc :D

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, will just get fresh water every week. Like Dave says have no excuses as five mins from water.
Sorry for hijacking your thread anylugnoitscrab...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys, will just get fresh water every week. Like Dave says have no excuses as five mins from water.
Sorry for hijacking your thread anylugnoitscrab...
No probs, i've changed the water on them daily and their fine , thanks for all the info lads

·
Registered
276 Posts
I use sea water that I collected at the time of digging. I keep my worms (rag) for up to 6 weeks and the water is that old when used come the end and I have no fatalities.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
change the water everyday and use cold what as said. take out any dead ones and try to be gentle as yellows can burst quite easy.

as for the water i try and keep fresh water in the fridge. the longer you store the the more oxygen goes from the water. however if i've forgot to get fresh water and only have old (but) clean stuff then i'll use it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts