World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright fellas

Got out yesterday for the first time since my newborn son was let home from hospital nearly 4 weeks ago. I have seen lots of reports of Donegal bay teeming with good wrasse so we set off early in the morning to try and get to a couple of spots throughout the day.

The plan was to try a new mark i have been scouting on google earth, primarily for pollack during the morning high tide and then fall back to a usual haunt in the afternoon for LW and meet up with Darrell @SNARFF

Arrived at the first spot for 8 and set up the rods with 40g metals to combat the wind blowing us in the face, there wasnt much happening here, I managed a few tiddler pollack and one around 1.5lb with Grant not even getting a knock. This spot looks good with a decent depth of water so has the potential but will put on the back burner and return at a later date perhaps.

20200725_090304.jpg

Onward to the next spot, we arrived at 12:00 and met up with Darrell. He had already caught some wrasse on hardback crabs by the time we got there so happy days. Grant set up with a float trace and I stuck it out on the lures, desperately trying to get a grip of this SP lures for wrasse with some pollacking whilst im there.

In the clear shallow bays it is easy to spot the wrasse sizing up the lure but they just werent biting, perhaps they had got a taste for the hardbacks after stealing Darrells baits nearly every cast haha Grant was getting nowhere with the float too so I now focused my attention on the pollack. An exercise in frustration followed by missing knocks and every fish I hooked came off or snagged me, had to pull for a break on one fish and got the lure back plus half of the fishes upper lip, not good at all :( Another disaster struck very soon after that, snatched at a cast got ring wrapped and ended up losing the first 2 guides below the tip :( Well that was me truly demoralised by then.

Darrell managed a couple more wrasse then left around half 3, 4 o'clock but he left us the rest of his bait and there was a good 40 small hardbacks there so a final roll of the dice, slight modification of texas weedless leaders to make up a simple running ledger for both of us. We headed round the corner and rock hopped out as far as we could now that LW revealed new holes to try out. Decided to simply lower the bait over the edge, holding the rods and keeping close to the ledges and kelp forests. Within seconds we were getting knocks followed by aggressive pull downs and rods buckled over as we started to catch a steady stream of good wrasse firmly in the 2-3lb bracket. Unfortunately time was not on our side as I had to get back home to the wane, think we managed 6-7 each and could easily have been many more as the bites were not showing an sign of slowing. Anyways, we left for home around half 5 with a big smile, Grant got his PB which I reckon was tipping 3lb so he was buzzing and I was happy to snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat :BigGrin: Ordered a couple of guides this morning to replace the lost ones so no biggy on that one as well. Happy days :)

20200726_011726.jpg

20200726_012118.jpg

received_614518726140684.jpeg

20200725_195607.jpg

Dane

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Great read about a well planned session on two different venues.
It is so satisfying catching a good stamp of wrasse from the shore on hardback crabs. They are an underestimated and easily obtained bait for them.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Hiya Dane,
Fair play to you & Grant for the effort you put in.
A couple of congratulations are also in order-
Congratulations to your goodself & your goodlady on the birth of your son (hope everythings okay with the little fella).
Also
Congratulations to Grant on his PB Ballan.
Tight lines lads.
Rick;)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great read about a well planned session on two different venues.
It is so satisfying catching a good stamp of wrasse from the shore on hardback crabs. They are an underestimated and easily obtained bait for them.
Thanks Lavraki, it didnt exactly go to plan but didnt give up and got the reward for it. I love catching wrasse, such great fighters that give a good account of themselves.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hiya Dane,
Fair play to you & Grant for the effort you put in.
A couple of congratulations are also in order-
Congratulations to your goodself & your goodlady on the birth of your son (hope everythings okay with the little fella).
Also
Congratulations to Grant on his PB Ballan.
Tight lines lads.
Rick;)
Hi Rick, thanks for the congrats. The wee man is doing fine, he was premature by 7 weeks but got out of the hospital after 2 weeks and is now packing on the pounds so all good mate. I think we will be back to try for some more wrasse in the near future so breaking his and my PB is very possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts