World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mid december and not long to go until our season is over . We made it to Gourock and the water was nice and clear , good for soft lure fishing . Just the two of us .
Some cold action in there and a good shift too :

Gourock 1-9167.jpg

Fishing was steady on the little shad . Nothing bit but enough to keep us entertained . Pretty cold though .
Gourock 2-9169.jpg

Coley and small pollock .
Gourock 4-9171.jpg

Gourock 3-9170.jpg

Gourock and the scenery .
Gourock 5-9178.jpg

Bitterly cold we headed off .
Gourock 7-9179.jpg
At low tide . Anyway , still a good day in the fresh . Tight lines all ..
Gourock 6-9182.jpg

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Kudos for getting out in a kayak at this time of year:eeks::)
Are you getting the pollack in open water or only when you are over structure?
They always appear in your reports from the Clyde, although they are generally smaller than the ones over features and kelp at marks like Ardrossan.
Great reports, keep them coming...

·
Registered
317 Posts
They always appear in your reports from the Clyde, although they are generally smaller than the ones over features and kelp at marks like Ardrossan.
The upper clyde pollack are the same as anywhere else in that they are found over structure. There is lots of structure in that area but i`m not sure if it is debris from years of use as a commercial pier or rocks exposed during dredging or just naturally there.

The smaller size of the fish is possibly due to the mark being now well established and much heavier fished from boat and shore. If you look back at old boat and shore reports you will see there was once plenty of good sized fish there too. The same thing happened at Furnace on loch Fyne years ago and even in more recent times at Rhu marina which had some cracking fish when it was lightly fished.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We usually find the pollock really close from the shore . 20 to 30 ft deep above kelp and broken ground , rocky shores . Man made structures like piers , walls , quarry have created a reef for pollock to thrive on . They like to hide amongst structures and rocks and ambush theirs preys . Kayak fishing in those area is good , less chance of snagging than from the shore . And good maneuverability really close in . Boat fishing in those area would take some skill since the rocks are only 10 ft away and swell created by ferries are massive . Anyway Lavraki , kelp , deeph and structures will get you some pollock .

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
We usually find the pollock really close from the shore . 20 to 30 ft deep above kelp and broken ground , rocky shores . Man made structures like piers , walls , quarry have created a reef for pollock to thrive on . They like to hide amongst structures and rocks and ambush theirs preys . Kayak fishing in those area is good , less chance of snagging than from the shore . And good maneuverability really close in . Boat fishing in those area would take some skill since the rocks are only 10 ft away and swell created by ferries are massive . Anyway Lavraki , kelp , deeph and structures will get you some pollock .
I know where to get pollack Nicolas....You guys have been catching mine at Ardrossan :run::laugh::laugh:.
It's just that some of your photos seemed to be in open water. I was just thinking how the pollack in the Clyde would not be affected as much with the trawling pressure as they are not predominantly bottom feeders like cod and haddock, and the pollack always seem to pop up in your Clyde reports.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know where to get pollack Nicolas....You guys have been catching mine at Ardrossan :run::laugh::laugh:.
It's just that some of your photos seemed to be in open water. I was just thinking how the pollack in the Clyde would not be affected as much with the trawling pressure as they are not predominantly bottom feeders like cod and haddock, and the pollack always seem to pop up in your Clyde reports.
Pollock are safe from the trawlers Lavraki . They live too close to shore on rocky ground . ardrossan is good , so is furnace and gourock . Somehow I fancy Greenock depending on tides , alongside the wall could be good too !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts