World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone please advise me as to targeting bream from the shore, and when you are most likely to catch them.
I live near Langland and have heard on the grapevine that they are regularly caught here. Is this true?
I have never fished for bream before and would love to catch one.

G

·
fish off the rocks either side of the bay using a bass rod and float best baits are mackeral strip 3 inches by 1/4 inch or rag worm.
don't fish into the bay but deeper water outside

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
plenty of spots between these two,as well as the float,try bottom fishing,but use rotton bottoms,be prepared to lose tackle.2-3 hook flappers,squid/ macky strip,lug,even better rag.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have found that Oxwich can be more productive for bream from the shore, though the reef off Langland is best from the boat. The hot spot for beam is just to the south of the small wreck located half way along the headland, thats to the right if you are standing on the shore looking across the bay.

You will catch fish all along this area but the first few hundred yards are the best, though in all honesty the bream tend to be smaller than those off Langland. No need for fancy rigs, as always, just a two-hook paternoster with size 2-1/0 hooks. Best baits for bream are rag, peeler or long thin strips of squid.

The bream usually show in June, and stay till September-ish. Expect to catch bass a few wrasse and trigger fish from August. Fish for a couple of hours either side of low water on neap to mid-range tides-forget the big springs, far less productive from my experience. I don't fish Oxwich nearly as much these days as I used to, but I still think its one of the most underated shore venues in South Wales, especially from the rocks.

All the best.

Dave

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Dave
I used to fish Oxwich regularly at one time also with one thing in mind though. BASS.
Used to have a good few near the wreck and also further out on the point.
Never considered fishing there for Bream though, can't wait to give it a go in the summer. If you are down the gower, drop me a PM and we can have a bash together.
Chris

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi Chris

I don't get a lot of free time these days, but I don't need too much persuading for a shore session at Oxwich, or anywhere else on Gower for that matter.

Get in touch when you are going, & if I'm free I'd love to join you.

all the best.

dave

·
Registered
462 Posts
you also get a load of bream on the left hand side at the end of mumble pier on a low tide

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
you also get a load of bream on the left hand side at the end of mumble pier on a low tide
generally small mind of what i've experienced, but they do make a good bass bait....
the ones in oxwich and off the langland reef can get to a good size just right for the frying pan or bbq

john

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
generally small mind of what i've experienced, but they do make a good bass bait....
the ones in oxwich and off the langland reef can get to a good size just right for the frying pan or bbq

john
Hi mate....when you say good bass bait,is this livebait or cut up???

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys why would you use one for bass bait??
We are talking about the gower here, there is crab available from March right through to October, and plentiful at that.
The number one bait on the Gower for bass is fresh peelers, there is no need to offer an undersized bream as bait, when you only need to turn over a couple of rocks to get crab. .:g:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Guys why would you use one for bass bait??
We are talking about the gower here, there is crab available from March right through to October, and plentiful at that.
The number one bait on the Gower for bass is fresh peelers, there is no need to offer an undersized bream as bait, when you only need to turn over a couple of rocks to get crab. .:g:
Fair enough:giveup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts